PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 4 Ti or Radeon 9700 Pro w/1024x1600? (BTO)

hdindustrial
02-27-2003, 03:58 AM
Hello everyone,
I have finally decided to retire my beige G3 Desktop for a Dual 1.42 Ghz Powermac. And am wondering which is the better card for LightWave 3D; Geforce 4 Ti or Radeon 9700 Pro?

Hopefully one of them can handle 1024x1600 Bit Depth...even simple objects redraw very slowly with Nexus 128.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Ade
02-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Good post, im interested too.
Jpegs crash any mac using a vid card with 16 megs vram. Displays in millions colours slows down the mac, displaying textures over 256 quality slows things down, experiences from a
b/w g3 400.

What I do know is Radeon 9700 card is better BUT since the 8500 card was around, there is meant to be a few display bugs due to bad drivers revisions. One bug is it wont display a wireframe in Modeller when it is in the background, grid displays randomly disappearing also mentioned.

Nvidia is a slower card not by much but has better drivers as usual.

Has this ATI bug been fixed?

mlinde
02-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Well, to be honest, if you are buying today the answer is easy -- you can't get the 9700 yet. It's been "coming soon" for a while now. When it is released, it may or may not be better than the NVidia card, the big question will be how it compares in price.

The GF4Ti is an expensive choice, without a huge benefit shown, in performance vs. the GF4MX or the ATI 9000, even though it should be significantly better. If the $ is no issue, give the Ti a shot. If you want to save the $300, go with the stock 9000 or the GF4MX, the performance hit isn't that big, IMHO.

hdindustrial
02-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Well, it seams that Apple is charging $300 for either the GF4 Ti or the Radeon 9700 if you do a Build To Order (BTO) directly. However, they charge $399 if you purchase the GF4 Ti afterward!

Xlr8yourmac has an informative article on the GF4 Ti; but not too much about LW 3D performance:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/geforce4_ti/geforce4_titanium_Mac.html

Is there any direct correlation between Game & LW 3D performance features?

I remember ATI touting the compatibility of the Nexus 128 (32 MB) with LW 3D, but it never performed as advertised in OS 9.x or X.

Rondo
02-27-2003, 08:38 PM
My roomate has allowed me to teach myself lightwave on his g4 733...cool huh!
way cool actually as it has a 24" sony crt..great color etc..but when he got it no card would support it..until the nvidia Ti 128mg...it is the highest for the mac as far as i can tell...works great in modeler and layout..farely realtime..im impressed...just my input.! :p

hdindustrial
02-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Cool!

I have a Sony w900 (24in. Wide Display) and the GF4 sounds perfect. Guess I should wait for a few results from the ATI 9700...

mlinde
02-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Sadly, there is no correlation between game performance (GP) and 3D design performance. GP is usually based on frame rate, but the polycounts for games are lower than most models you will build, so the frame rate can (and usually is) much higher in performance.

I know the cost of the BTO is $100 less than the cost of the aftermarket GF4Ti, but I still don't know if either of those costs are worth it, unless you have one of these 24" CRTs and none of the other cards support it. It would surprise me that they don't, I've been running 21" CRTs on cards as LOW as 4MB in the past, although the resolution & color support was a joke. I'd be surprised if the stock GF4MX or ATI 9000 didn't support your display, but it is possible that it wouldn't give you the resolution and refresh rate you would prefer.

The wait for the 9700 could be a long one, there is a note today at Macintouch that apple isn't even letting orders be made for Macs with the 9700... it sounds like the Nexus 128 all over again (and I had one of the first ones)...

hdindustrial
02-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Hmmm.....
Guess some serious waiting is in order. Or perhaps i could BTO a GF4-Ti and sell it on ebay if the Radeon 9700 is released w/ better results.

It seems that quite often, BTOs arrive sooner than the stock models for new revisions such as the dual 1.42 Ghz Pmac.

If only the dual 1.25 Ghz models had 2MB Level 2 Cache. (Rather tricky of Apple to take away Cache and SuperDrives included in previous mid-range models.)

-Maybe we should all pool together our finances and hire a talented & adventurous programmer to write a full-featured OSX driver for the high end cards on the market.

Thank You all for the great input :)

Please keep the info coming...