PDA

View Full Version : OT - Looking for some "video ordering" software

Lamont
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry for the messed up description, but here is what I am looking for:

I have archived video from a client that is used for promotional things. I would like him to be able to browse online and see the current selection of footage, pick the minutes he wants, hits "add". And this adds it to a cart of some sort. So the cart has name of file - in point and out point. When he is done "shopping", he hits the send button that shoots me an email and I have the minutes of each file he wants and in order. If he doesn't like the order, he can open that "order" and resend to me.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Dexter2999
02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
What you want is and EDL (Edit Decision List).

What you need is a real Video Editor. A good Editor makes the decisions about what shot when and how long to hold it... Your client most likely has no clue about creating a compelling video sequence and pacing through edits.

As an editor, I speak from experience. People think just because they have edit software that anyone can be an editor. That's like saying just because you have ProTools you can produce album or because you have a word processor you can write a book.

Lamont
02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
For me, it's not about being a video editor, it's about getting the clips from a huge archive picked out so I can edit them down, format, fix colors and send on, in a somewhat streamlined/formated manner. I know jack squat about the subject matter.

So I'll look for EDL. Thanks for the tip.