PDA

View Full Version : Help with Modeling an abstract pillar???

madam0
02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi, i'm currently modeling objects for my 3rd year project at university. I have come up on a bit of a problem and i hope someone out there can give me a nudge in the right direction.

Ok so here's the problem.

I am modeling tree like pillars for a cathedral like structure. I must model them, ie not use xfrog or terregen or anything like that. If anyone has seen the Cathedral by Tomek Baginski you'll know what i mean.

These pillars have vine like trees wrapped around them. as you will see in the pictures below.

i have also been working from these pictures:

I have already attempted many different ways to create this effect but just can't find the right one.

I have tried splines, but the poly count was just too high. And that was before the model was even finished.

I have also tried the technique Tomek Baginski used when he made the Cathedral, which was using a subdivided box and then extending different faces in different directions. Then subpatching the result. This again did not work.

I am gurrently trying to do it by extending simple low poly cylinders to get te vine like structure. And to give it some bulk i have created a gothic type pillar the style of which is commomn to cathedrals.

I would be very greatful if anyone could offer assistance with this. I have coured the internet for tutorials but the only ones i can find are animating the growth of vines not actually modeling them.

cheers

Hard working Student

SplineGod
02-03-2010, 03:17 AM
Id either use a sculpting app like 3dcoat, zbrush etc or if you want to do it in LW....
Create splines that wrap around the pillars. Pick the base point of each spline and copy/paste the points into another layer. Rail extrude the points fairly dense. Keep this a separate layer from the actual pillar. Now apply HVs to the vines.

madam0
02-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi, thanks very much for the reply. I have already attempted splines but as i said above the poly count was just getting out of control.

What are HV's??

cheers

P.S.

I am just a beginner at ZBrush so i'm not sure how i would go about modeling them there. Also the poly count might be very high as a result.

3DGFXStudios
02-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Maybe this can be of use.... http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/
To do it quick and dirty;)

Sensei
02-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Make box, then Multiply > More > Magic Bevel, click on one of blue circles and move mouse and release mouse button, multiple times. Then press tab to switch to sub-patch mode. You have tree is a few seconds. Nothing is as fast as this method.

I have also tried the technique Tomek Baginski used when he made the Cathedral, which was using a subdivided box and then extending different faces in different directions. Then subpatching the result. This again did not work.

99% of professional 3d artists would use this method..

madam0
02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
thanks for the reply Sensei and 3DGFXStudios. I'm gonna get right onto find out which suits my model best.

Also thanks for the industry tip Sensei, i'll be sure to get back to you whether the technique wrks for me or not.

cheers