PDA

View Full Version : animated radiosity-splodges!!!!

Otterman
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok ive read excepts radiosity guide, trawelled through a gazillion pages on this subject, tried every setting possible and two days later im still no better off.

Ok-heres my pickle....

I have a 500 frame animation i want to render on a farm. I cant get caching radiosity to work over the network! :devil:

I cant afford to render Montie Carlo-its taking hours per frame.

So Final Gather (no interpolation) is the order of the day. I have used a decent RPE, upped SBR, decreased MPS, turned off noise reduction.....sheesh, everything going. Iv gottn in such a pickle i cant even remember where i started.

My problem is trying to get rid of these misterious splodges that keep randomly appearing in the animation....what gives? Is it a light leak, not enough rays???? Any pointers on what to target to get rid of them?

biliousfrog
02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Is anything moving in the scene apart from the camera? If not you can cache the scene (non-animated) and it should be fine. Definitely turn on interpolation, it's pretty pointless using FG otherwise.

It's hard to say what's wrong without knowing what you're doing...'decent RPE' is vague to say the least.

Have you cleared your radiosity cache each time you've changed something?...otherwise it will just keep using the same cache.

Have you cached the entire scene or just one frame (I made this mistake to start with)?

Is your cache folder in a shared directory on the network i.e. 'X\Projects\Digger\RadiosityCache'...not some convoluted path like 'Workgroup\Andrews PC\Documents and Settings\Content Directory\....blah, blah, blah'

toby
02-03-2010, 03:22 AM
I get my best results with interpolated by substituting motion blur for aa, the extra passes you get averages out the radiosity lighting; then lowering the RPE as much as I can.

But this looks like you have noise as well as blotches, they're bright blotches that could be caused by hotspots in your hdr or in the scene, and the noise just looks like low aa.

But also, I've rendered similar images at higher quality in less than 2 minutes; how fast is your machine? How many render-intensive shaders/features are you using?

Otterman
02-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks guys-ive read both your exploits in the realms of radiosity-i imagen you have both been through what im going through....test, re-test, re-re-test.....(many hours later)..blood starts oozing from your nose!

Its a moving animation and caching the file to a networked drive still doesnt work. The renderfarm just locks up!?! The file is cached correctly and the path contained within the scene is correct-it dont figure.

I managed to iron the splodges out by increasing the RPE but its still too noisey and rendertimes are going through the roof. For the time being im rendering with bg radiosity only. Im loosing a little detail but its rock solid regards to noise/non-flickering and the rendertimes are a quarter of what they were....happy days.

These scenes are pretty heavy as regards to geometry and surfacing-even with an 3.2ghz 8core monster im pushing it with half an hour per frame renders. I would love to be able to cache radiosity over a network or come up with an alternative solution.

I will explore the mr option me thinks.....thanks guys.

Cageman
02-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks guys-ive read both your exploits in the realms of radiosity-i imagen you have both been through what im going through....test, re-test, re-re-test.....(many hours later)..blood starts oozing from your nose!

Its a moving animation and caching the file to a networked drive still doesnt work. The renderfarm just locks up!?! The file is cached correctly and the path contained within the scene is correct-it dont figure.

I managed to iron the splodges out by increasing the RPE but its still too noisey and rendertimes are going through the roof. For the time being im rendering with bg radiosity only. Im loosing a little detail but its rock solid regards to noise/non-flickering and the rendertimes are a quarter of what they were....happy days.

These scenes are pretty heavy as regards to geometry and surfacing-even with an 3.2ghz 8core monster im pushing it with half an hour per frame renders. I would love to be able to cache radiosity over a network or come up with an alternative solution.

I will explore the mr option me thinks.....thanks guys.

Make sure the searchpath to the cachefile is absolute. I havn't used a Mac, but the path you provided doesn't look absolute to me.

Relative path example: /LightWave_content/Radiosity/filename.cache

Absolute path exampe: T:/xxx/LightWave_content/Radioisity/filename.cache

Relative path is the way LW stores the cachefile by default, which doesn't work with screamernet. If you place the cachefile somewhere else (by clicking the Cache-button), it usually forces an absolute path.