PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics- ugh

Ty Catt
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Howdy do,

I have a pitted object (via displacement map) here that needs to be enveloped in a sticky goo via dripping / gravity.

I created the goo as a subdiv. plane object.

I thought...

...if I set the pitted object as a collision object, set the goo plane as a cloth dynamic object, calculated, then fidgeted with the settings, I could eventually start getting close. The goo really needs to seep into the larger holes on the pitted object.

But the sad reality is, NOTHING happens when I calculate. I mean it shifts a hair up or down, but I can't get the goo plane to budge enough to make any educated guess as to which settings to adjust!

I have set the plane's weight pretty high, set gravity to -9.8, collision detect set to all... Is the collision object the problem? There are so many combos in dynamics I can't tell if one setting is making a difference or not. I've tried altering many setting combos already.

Am I even on the right track? Is this the wrong way of going about things?:help:

It seems like only the preset LW collsion objects ever work (i.e. box, sphere, etc.).

Thanks for the help.

Tyler

safetyman
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm no dynamics expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, I believe that the goo object won't react with the displacement (collision) object like you would imagine it to. It needs to be actual geometry to have something to collide against.

Without seeing your other settings, it's difficult to tell why it's not reacting at all.

I know I wasn't much help, but those are my observations.

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Save the displaced object out transformed and try it on all geometry.
Sounds like too many tricks for the pony to do right at the same time.

Ty Catt
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I can always subsitute a saved trans object instead of the displaced object.

I think I tried that last week with no success, but to be safe I'll try that again.

EDIT- Whoa, should have refreshed the page- thanks, UnCommon!

Thanks,

Tyler

Dodgy
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
It should work. You just have to look at your settings.

Ty Catt
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Dodgy,

It's at moments like these that I want to bury my hand in the sand.

What I thought was impossible you managed to create.

I am going to really pick apart your settings to see where I went wrong.:D

Biggest difference: my type of collision object was set to "advanced" and not "subdiv". Never tried that and I should have.

Thank you for your assistance (as always).

Tyler

Ty Catt
02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Dodgy,

I dunno...

Your scene works and looks great, but my scene just doesn't look right. I have spent literally the last 8 hours trying to get it to look right. My gooey gel just wont keep seeping and just begins to break up.

Getting lots of crashes, too.

I am closer than 10 AM this morning, but your version is perfect and I am losing it up here.:confused:

Can you take a look at this and see if any setting jumps out at you?

I stripped down the scene but left the dynamics in place for calculations.

Thanks!

Tyler

UnCommonGrafx
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Hmm,
I looked at your scene but it wasn't complete enough to really ascertain what was what. For example, you have a map that isn't included but seems to be the gist of your pore creation.

And why is it vertical in your example as opposed to horizontal as in the examples above?

Lastly, use the one that works. Get the job done.

Nifty scene, Dodgy.

Ty Catt
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Uncommon,

Sorry, here is the file again with the image map for the displacement. Of course I would forget something...

This project requires a vertical dynamics (Z gravity) set-up.

Is that overall bad for dynamics? I know Dodgy's was horizontal, I just thought I could apply the same for my vertical scene.

I could rotate the whole scene if I need to. I'll do anything at this point!:D

As tempting as it is, I can't just use Dodgy's set-up... that would be cheating! I love to learn how this stuff works. Although I spent the whole day testing, it's not a total loss- I learned some parameters and setting interaction along the way. Plus, my actual scene is more detailed than the example I attached. Using Dodgy's set-up alone isn't quite the whole picture. But he did manage to nail those settings to a tee!

It is truly an asset having these forums around. You guys are the best type of teachers there are. (cue for everyone to hug).

Thanks everyone,

Tyler

ramccombe
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Tyler, I just had a look at your scene and it looks to me that the collision object is never in the shot which leads me to suggest: why can't you just forgo the dynamics and just apply your displacement setup to your goo, add a scale vector at the end of your displacement tree and envelope the amount to simulate the same effect. Just a thought.:)

Ty Catt
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Ramccombe,

That is a great point, but the camera will actually be looking at the displacement. Like I mentioned, for ease of sharing the scene I stripped it down and altered alot just to move this along.

We first created the scene with particles and hypervoxels, but it didn't sit right. I've changed the overall scene scale, and when it was larger, the camera tracked the progress of the hypervoxels (which is why it appears that camera doesn't have any action in it's shot right now). All along, I wondered if this was a job for dynamics (which as you can see, isn't my strong point. Neither is LScript. Neither is expressions. Crap, I dont know if I have any strong points.) 8~

To be specific for this current layout, when complete the camera will be skimming the length of the the surface of the collision object as the displacement comes into and interacts with the collision object surface.

At least I hope!

Thanks again,

Tyler

Dodgy
02-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Why not do this. It's more easy to control.

ramccombe
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Ramccombe,

That is a great point, but the camera will actually be looking at the displacement. Like I mentioned, for ease of sharing the scene I stripped it down and altered alot just to move this along.

We first created the scene with particles and hypervoxels, but it didn't sit right. I've changed the overall scene scale, and when it was larger, the camera tracked the progress of the hypervoxels (which is why it appears that camera doesn't have any action in it's shot right now). All along, I wondered if this was a job for dynamics (which as you can see, isn't my strong point. Neither is LScript. Neither is expressions. Crap, I dont know if I have any strong points.) 8~

To be specific for this current layout, when complete the camera will be skimming the length of the the surface of the collision object as the displacement comes into and interacts with the collision object surface.

At least I hope!

Thanks again,

Tyler

Hi Tyler, if you look at the scene Dodgy posted, that is what I was referring to. You can control how the goo melts into the displacement with an envelope on a scale vector. You can also envelope other elements of your texture tree as well as animate position, rotation on different elements of the texture to create interesting effects. If it's any consolation, it seems most people struggle with cloth and dynamics in LightWave.

Ty Catt
02-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Ahhh, I see now. That is a great alternative, and I never would have thought to try that.

Thanks, guys.

I'm starting to work on it now, hopefully, I can post the finished product soon!

Thanks, again!

Tyler

ramccombe
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Glad to hear it makes sense now. One thing I've learned from the forums is there are usually a few different ways to accomplish your goal. I've learned buy viewing as many threads as I can where are other users on the hunt for a solution even if it isn't a problem I'm trying to resolve.
Good luck!:thumbsup: