PDA

View Full Version : Drawing in Lightwave

Remoc
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Hello,

I have modeled a 3d pen which needs to write his own name.
His name is : Billy Vote

What is a good method to make an object " draw / write "

Do I leave a concentrated trail of blue particles from the tip of the pen stuck to the page as it follows the texts path?

Or have the writing reveal itself and move the tip frame by frame?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Remoc

BlueApple
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
I would use an animated texture on the paper surface. Are you able to create the text appearing as its own .avi or .mov or something? If so, map that to the paper object, and then keyframe the pen object in Layout so it is always just a touch ahead of the ink's appearance n the page.

You could also create"Billy Vote" as a big flat object and then use some morphs and masking to reveal it over time, but this sounds more complicated to me.

Danner
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
If you have Aura/Mirage, you can make a path, make the path draw the letters, export the image sequence, and the motion path to lightwave. This can also be done in Fusion. I dunno if afterFX has a way to import/export mot files from LW but it might.

Matt
02-02-2010, 06:51 AM
There was a sample scene in the content folder that wrote out text using particles, can't remember the name of it though.

creacon
02-02-2010, 06:52 AM
You should take a look at Denis Pontonnier's website under RMancollection, there is a texture called marker pen. It does what you ask for.

creacon

Hello,

I have modeled a 3d pen which needs to write his own name.
His name is : Billy Vote

Do I leave a concentrated trail of blue particles from the tip of the pen stuck to the page as it follows the texts path?

Or have the writing reveal itself and move the tip frame by frame?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Remoc

probiner
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
wow, great reference creacon, ty.
Ty again Mr. Denis

precedia
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM

This August 2006 3D World article entitled "How can I animate ghostly writing onto 3D parchment? (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/671321/tdw80_qa_lead.pdf)" may be helpful. Written for LightWave 3D.

Daniel

akademus
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
This is what I would do.

In modeler draw a curve of your writing. I have a tablet so it was easy for me to just scribble what I need.

File-Export-Path to Motion.

Attached is the scene file with Hypervoxels setup. Select Null objects, load the motion file.

You can adjust the speed in Graph editor and line thickness in Hypervoxel particle size setup.

Parent the tip of your pencil to the null and it will go along.

Cheers!

inquisitive
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Looks like Denis Pontonnier's site is down or moved.. do any of you have a copy of his plugins or info about a new site?

UnCommonGrafx
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Denis' materials are no longer available.