PDA

View Full Version : Multi threaded Preview Animation

geo_n
02-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Preview creation is super slow with no multi thread support

Sensei
02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I think so preview is generated by graphics card, not by CPU.. If you are talking about Make Preview button and company.

geo_n
02-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I think so preview is generated by graphics card, not by CPU.. If you are talking about Make Preview button and company.

But the cpu is being used only 50% though.
And I used low end and high end video card and it was so slow make preview button of 2000 frames. I will test difference in time but both super slow.
Same video cards in max preview animation is fast.

Sensei
02-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Are you recording directly to file? This way movie has to be screen-captured (reading from graphics card memory is usually quite slow process) and encoded to file by DivX/MOV codec. These things are not easily multi-threadable, because they must occur in proper sequence, frame by frame.

Going from one frame to another require executing all motion modifiers, mesh deformers etc. things. Is it fast when you are not recording movie, but just playing?

geo_n
02-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Not recording to file. Just pressing make preview and scene animates in viewport(this is the one that's slow). And its using system resources 50% and pc is sluggish this time. After finishing make preview I press end preview pop up and choose codec in preview options and save to disk.

Captain Obvious
02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
It really depends on your scene. Deformations in Lightwave are single-threaded, I believe, so if creating a preview is slow because you're animating things, then there's not much you can do about that.

If it's slow because OpenGL is slow, then multi-threading wouldn't help anyway and you'lre going to have to get a new video card or change your OpenGL settings. Shaded solid is much faster than texture shaded wireframe, for example.

Lightwolf
02-04-2010, 04:17 AM
It really depends on your scene. Deformations in Lightwave are single-threaded, I believe, so if creating a preview is slow because you're animating things, then there's not much you can do about that.
Actually, that changed with 9,.6 (if I remember correctly).
Preferences->General->Threaded Mesh Eval at least multi-threads some of the deformations. That's just the deformation calculation though, anything directly interacting with OpenGL needs to be single threaded.

One hint: Switch LW to a single viewport - that can speed up things when creating a preview, especially on consumer graphics boards.

Cheers,
Mike

geo_n
02-04-2010, 04:53 AM
I see. yes there's a lot of bone deformations in the scene. That could be it. I will test and delete all bones just to try it out. And I'll try the Threaded Mesh Eval as well.
I did try single viewport and shrinking lw window but still the same. Hehe