PDA

View Full Version : displacement maps not working, while all other maps are?

Algae998
02-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey all,

Ive run into a bit of a wall and cant figure out why the setup isnt working.
Im trying to get my displacement map to work on a character of mine. All other maps (color texture, bump, spec and normal map) are working correctly.

Ive sculpted my character in zbrush, which is where I created all of my other maps. Im using a node flow for the displacement (attached image). I got the displacement to work on other characters just fine, which is what is troubling me so much.

Under the properties for the object in layout, the Geometry subdivision is set to last, and under the deform tab, the node displacement order is set to before world displacement. Ive setup my node chain as seen in the attachement, which the multiply node should control the intensity of the geometry being displaced..but its not working at all.

The displacement map is set to use the same uv map as the rest of the working maps applied to the character, which is why Im confused its not working. I even exported the working nodal chain from one of my other characters, imported and hooked it up, and it still failed to work.

Im a bit out of ideas, so Im hoping someone can catch something that Im missing.
Thanks in advance!

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2010, 04:05 AM
It can't be set to last and work. Subdivision, that is.

probiner
02-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Stupid errors that i made in the past and sometimes i still do, so i'll ask you too:

Nodes ON?
Is it the right object? (I sometimes do the setup in nulls -_-')
Have you tryed to change the Subdivision order to "After Motion"? "Last" is not always good.

Good Luck with that.

Cheers

Algae998
02-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Ah hah, that did the trick. I changed it from last to after motion and it worked, thanks for the help! Guess I was staring at it too long :bangwall:

Unfortunately Im running into another issue now. Im getting a weird effect when I setup the displacement. The displacement works correctly on the character and I can crank the display subdivision up to see the changes just fine. The weird effects Im seeing now is that with displacement enabled, its blowing apart the eyes.
Ive attached two quick renders to show what Im talking about. The first without displacement and the second with displacement.

The eyes arent uved and arent on the uv map of the rest of the body that the displacement map is affecting (theyre colored by different surfaces for the cornea, eyeball, pupil and iris). Any thoughts?

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
NONE at all. For that matter, I have a similar thing happening in a scene I was working on last night.
Looks like we may have stumbled upon a bug.

Castius
02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
leavin off polys out of the UV map can cause render errors. It's best to just leave them in there and mask them out. Weight maps are a easy way to do that.

UnCommonGrafx
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Even if they are in the same layer?
And even if you are doing a nodal displacement not object based?
Hmmm...

Algae998
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
So if I have geometry, such as the eye/cornea in the same layer as the rest of my character, but its not on the uv map (nor unwrapped at all) how should I mask them out?
The eyes already have separate weight maps for the eye bones in my rig.

Im not used to doing a lot of rigging but Im trying to get better and struggling my way through some areas.

probiner
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
With vertex map you can scale the displacement using a Math>Vector>Scale and feedin the map info into the green input.
You can also try to Make UVs for the eyes (choosing the same map you are using) and scale them down to a dot in the UV and place it over a grey area, so they're not displaced, i guess, bur if it's actually a bug who knows...

Good luck

Algae998
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
You can also try to Make UVs for the eyes (choosing the same map you are using) and scale them down to a dot in the UV and place it over a grey area, so they're not displaced

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it an it worked perfectly. :thumbsup:
Based on the node flow I have (first thread post), what type of node would I use to plug in another node flow that is exactly the same?

This character's tooth is unwrapped on a different map and textured via the surface editor but in the same layer as the rest of the object. Im not sure how to add in another displacement node flow in the same flow layout. Would it be a scalar or multiply node that connects the two displacement flows and then plugs into the displacement input channel?
..if I explained that well enough..

probiner
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
...and textured via the surface editor but in the same layer as the rest of the object..This was the part i didn't understand.

But from what i am understanding all you have to do is to join those 2 flows into a Math>Vector>Add.
Given that you check if each one is working properly and without the issue you were having before.

Have fun

Algae998
02-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Thats what I was looking for haha, thanks again. It took a bit of playing around with but I finally got the two flows joined using your suggestion of the vector add node. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I dont quite understand why, but I had to remove my subtract node from the second flow. It was blowing apart the model, but as soon as I removed it from the chain, it worked great. Maybe it was taking the two subtract nodes and multiplying them.. who knows, Ill figure that out later :P

As for the part I didnt explain properly; the characters tooth has its own seperate uv and surface, so I have it textured (color, spec, normal, bump, cavity) via the surface editor, but its on the same object layer as the rest of the character.
Had it been on a seperate object layer in modeler and parented to a bone so that it followed the characters head, I could have just enabled displacement on just the tooth.
Long story short, I made this a while ago and didnt setup everything properly so its biting me in butt now :P