PDA

View Full Version : Scene2Modeler V1.3

Svenart
02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
hello together,

I just have updated Scene2Modeler lscript to version 1.3. Beside of a few minor changes (please check the readme), it is now also running on macintosh.

You can download the script here:

http://svenart.de/lscripts.htm

nickdigital
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Awesome script thanks!

Lewis
02-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks man, many interesting plugins on your WEB :).

3dworks
02-02-2010, 01:51 AM
sven, thanks again for fixing this ;)

it's one of the most useful scripts around if you need to handle complex scenes with huge counts of object files.

markus

dnch
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
thanx sven, been waiting for something like this (since we cannot model from camera view, this is big help)

daforum
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks Svenart for this awesome script. Just tested it on Mac UB and it works perfectly
(only on basic geometry, but still, it works!)

Been looking for a script to do this for ages, and I love the option to save in layers (and numbers of objects per layer too) and the other options too!

Thanks so much :thumbsup:

jbaudrand
02-03-2010, 05:18 AM

love your render!

Svenart
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
thank you all for the feedback, Im glad you like it. If you have ideas to improve this script, just let me know.

-EsHrA-
02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
excellent, thanks! :)

mlon

3dWannabe
02-13-2010, 08:08 PM
very useful script!

One thing that would be nice - would be to have it name the the layers created according to the object names found in the scene file.

I've got a scene file that ties together 50 LW object files - and it would really help if the layers retained the object name.

Anyway, thanks so much for creating the script!

Svenart
02-14-2010, 12:15 PM
thank you both.

@ 3dwannabe: thank you for your good idea. Im working on this right now, and I hope I can upload the improved script in the next few hours.

3dWannabe
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
As you are working on it, one other thing.

Here's my orginal scene, composed of about 50 separate LW objects originality from a 3ds model. Several objects were set as non-visable.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2csb67t.png

And here is the output after Scene2Modeler, brought back into a scene and rendered.

http://i45.tinypic.com/ve7seg.png

Oddly enough, in Layout, before rendering, I can't see any of the artifacts on the face and skin. All of the layers are visible (but, this isn't the cause of the skin artifacts, as I've tried just making the single layer with her body visible)

I also notice that one of the wings (which I think were flipped in 3ds), are now flipped in the render after the translation (the 3ds model was a real mess, using negative values to flip the wings, etc.)

I'm so new to all this, I'm probably doing something wrong, but .. I thought I'd post anyway.

Thanks for your generous work! I was unable to resize my model before, and now I can!

Svenart
02-14-2010, 02:06 PM
hey,

try to save the models again with scene2modeler, but this time deactivate "save as transformed". Maybe this was the problem.

If this will not work, you can sent me the model if you want and I try it.

3dWannabe
02-14-2010, 02:37 PM
If I don't transform, the model gets totally messed up.

I'll send a zip of the fairy to your email address now.

It's a 20Meg file, let me know if you don't get it shortly.

3dWannabe
02-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm now sending the fairy by YouSendIt as I exceeded your mailbox capacity. Should hit you about 10 minutes from now. Thanks!

Svenart
02-14-2010, 03:28 PM
i have checked the model now, and it seems the problem is the vertex normal map. If i deactivate it, everything looks ok. Some of your models are using different uv maps but with same name. When the script puts all the models together in one object, only one uvmap is left at then end.

I suggest you to rename all the uvmaps in the single models (i guess there are not soo much normalmapped), maybe it will work then.

3dWannabe
02-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but are 'vertex normal maps' the same as 'UV maps' (or is a UV map a type of 'vertex normal map'?

Is this wiki article referring to 'vertex normal maps'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

And are you saying that if I go into each object that uses a UV map, and rename each one to be specific to that object, then my problem is solved?

My model was converted from 3ds using PolyTrans, and I noticed this thread (where they also used PolyTrans) about 'getting vertex normal maps' to render properly.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103040

Thanks for figuring that out!

Svenart
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
well, UV maps, Weightmaps and vertexcolor maps are all vertexmaps, yes. I guess the same goes for normalmaps, but my english is not good enough to explain it better.

You are right, i think changing the uvmap name in the single objects could solve the problem.

MooseDog
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
sorry for this report. when i run scene2modeler in layout, i get the following error message:

Bad magic value on input file G:\Program Files\Lightwave96\Plugins\lscripts\newscripts\Scen e2modeler_modeler.lsc

user error? bug?

thx for all this effort.

Svenart
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
hehe.... after a first little shock, i now know where the problem is.. Scene2Modeler are 2 scripts, one for layout and one for modeler. You tried to open the modeler script in layout :)

3dWannabe
02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Sven - out of curiosity, could Scene2Modeler rename conflicting UVs in some sensible fashion?

I started giving each UV's a name, corresponding to the original file's name, but ran into a problem with the eyes, where I could only get one eye at a time to display correctly.

So - obviously I've got more work to do to figure out how to set it up properly for Scene2Modeler.

This isn't really a problem with your code, unless this would be a common situation in scenes with many objects.

A bit late here in Dallas, off to bed for me!

Svenart
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Im not 100% sure. I think it could be possible to rework the script so it will rename maps if the name already exists. But this would at least take a lot of time. I will try to check out if its possible. If i can find a quick way, I will do it, but im not sure.

Svenart
02-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I just have updated the script with the idea from 3dwannabe.

If you have selected "Split into layers", and the layercount is set to 1, the script will save every single object into a new layer and rename the layer with the object name.

you can download the script here:

http://svenart.de/lscripts.htm

3dWannabe
02-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Sven - renamed all the layers perfectly!

I've still got to figure out the UV Map issue, as simply renaming the UV Maps isn't getting the desired result. I suspect I've got to make several changes per UV Map besides just renaming.

Thanks for making that change!

cg_mike
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I recently used these scripts on a project and they were very helpful.

Thanks for creating and sharing them!
:thumbsup: