PDA

View Full Version : Newbie starter questions

SirPeterIII
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I have a few starting problems. Trial is activated. Watched a few tutorial vids.

In the tutorial he got a good looking interface/GUI/layout. When I open LW I also want to start with the 4 sides and I'm now starting with the lights.

That brings me to the second question. I can only play with the lights, I cant make simple objects like boxes/balls etc. shift X which should be making a box but isn't doing anything.

Layers that should be in the top right side, dunno were to activate them.

I cant start experimenting. It is probably a simple button somewhere that I missed.

:newhere:

Kuzey
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
There are two programs in LW, one called Modeler, this is where you make your objects and the other is Layout. If I were to guess, you are in Layout....which is used for animation and rendering etc.

Kuzey

SirPeterIII
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Aw I've downloaded the wrong trial? :'(
*edit I see the modeler button (f12) but doesn't do anything. Its a whole other application?
*edit2 Ah, wait... yes, aha there it is, found it.

Ok thanks lol :o

Silkrooster
02-03-2010, 10:12 PM
The modeler button is greyed out due to you using the trial version. Just so you are aware the keyboard shortcuts in both layout and modeler are case sensitive. Therefore if you accidentally hit the caps lock Lightwave won't do as what you are expecting.

BeeVee
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
No, the Trial version has the Hub! It's the Discovery Edition that doesn't, once the trial edition runs out after 30 days (the one where you cannot save scenes, models are limited to 400 points per layer and renders are checkerboarded). The trial edition is *exactly* the same as a full license of LightWave bar the ability to use commercial plugins that rely on dongle presence to work. The only reason you aren't getting the Modeler button is that you need to "train" the Hub to know where the two apps are. Do the following:

1. Launch Layout, quit;
2. Launch Modeler; quit;
3. Launch Layout again and hit F12

B

nino73
02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
A MUST FOR BEGINNERS: 3D garge.com

The signature courseware gets you up and running if you are new to LW.

Baby steps.

Silkrooster
02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
No, the Trial version has the Hub! It's the Discovery Edition that doesn't, once the trial edition runs out after 30 days (the one where you cannot save scenes, models are limited to 400 points per layer and renders are checkerboarded). The trial edition is *exactly* the same as a full license of LightWave bar the ability to use commercial plugins that rely on dongle presence to work. The only reason you aren't getting the Modeler button is that you need to "train" the Hub to know where the two apps are. Do the following:

1. Launch Layout, quit;
2. Launch Modeler; quit;
3. Launch Layout again and hit F12

B

My mistake. I haven't tried the new trial version. Previously it was the full program that ran in demo mode for those that did not purchase it as it requires a dongle. With the dongle not plugged in the Hub will not run. Hence my statement above.

sampei
02-15-2010, 07:56 AM
my advice for a new user is read the manual, all of it....it's pure solid gold. Its the best read ever. oh and go through William's wonderful tutorials on the newtek website, they will amaze and inspire you.

sampei
02-17-2010, 07:06 AM
sorry for the off topic but is the forum dead i posted the above like monday O__O