PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels Showing Through Fog

Blypht
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm using hypervoxels to create volcanic plumes, and using fog to fade at a distance.

However, the hypervoxel plumes are showing through the fog at a distance where the fog is 100%. (See the attached photo. The other plume is the light blue, vertical artifact in the upper right quadrant).

I assumed it had something to do with the hypervoxel luminosity, but setting the luminosity to 0 (zero) does not resolve the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Rove
01-31-2010, 05:53 AM
I assume you also have an HV emitter in the far distance?
Why do you want to have smoke visible through a 100% dense mist? Ah well you'll have your reasons.
I have no technical background and I find out most things through trial and error. I have no idea what's actually causing your problem but I do know it has to do with the Thickness and Smoothness settings. Play around with those to fix it.

Larry_g1s
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Come on...this is the Character Animation Tips & Tricks. :D

Rove
02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Come on...this is the Character Animation Tips & Tricks. :D

uhm ... I assumed his volcano housed a family of dragons who where spitting fire and smoke just before they left their lair :D

4dartist
02-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Rove I think you may have read his post wrong. If you look in the back you can see the smoke/hypervoxels through the fog that should be obscuring it. He wants the fog to hide the smoke, (if I am reading this right).

Blypht, can you show some of your settings for the hypervoxels? Are you using dissolve to fade out the trail? If so, I would try ignoring dissolve, so leave it at 0%, then use a ramp in Luminosity/Opacity to drive the fading of the smoke. It's very important to keep the ramps the same so use the copy/paste feature.

Another thing you could do is delete all objects from the scene, keep your camera move/fog settings/ and the far hypervoxel emitter and I can figure out the problem.

Ben

Rove
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
aah yea, I see I made a typo there.

I meant why use smoke if you do not want the smoke to be visible? It's like adding a light to an empty dark room and you do not want the dark room to be lit up by that light.

Blypht
02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
A thousand pardons, folks. I had thought I was posting in the "LW - General Techniques, Tips & Tricks" forum. I'll check my whereabouts more carefully in the future.

Blypht
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Actually, Rove, you were right about the opacity issue. I ended up having to use the Proximity plugin as an envelope for the opacity, PLUS an alpha channel in the texture I was applying to the hypervoxels. Thanks for the pointer to the solution.

The question about why I'm creating hypervoxels that are hidden by the fog is answered by the fact that my camera position is not stationary, and I will be passing within visible distance of those hypervoxels later in the animation. The problem, as each of you has correctly observed, is that I don't want it showing through the fog before I get there.

Thanks to all.

As I often say, I'm getting better....