PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Fan Film Needs Help!

swtheforgotten
01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Greetings,

Star Wars: The Forgotten, a full length feature fan film, needs volunteer help! Our website has plenty to show you and that speaks louder than any words I can post here:

www.swtheforgotten.com

Since 80% of this film was fully green screen, we REALLY need help with modelers to make virtual sets and render off the background plates for shots. We have some half done work, some work that needs to be done from scratch and some work that is simply taking the model we have and rendering out the BG plates.

With this said, I hope to find people willing to accept the challenge, help a fan film succeed, and hopefully make some good friends along the way. I can be contacted directly at [email protected] Thank you.

Regards,

Cageman
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi,

How do you turn off the backround music on the main page? I was going to watch one of those clips under videos, but the main page music was distracting so I ended up not watching.

realgray
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I would just click through to the vimeo page it's hosted on.

Cageman
01-31-2010, 12:40 AM

You are still forced to close the website in order to hear the sound in the video. It is a BAD designchoice not to allow a viewer to turn off the music on a web-page, imho.

swtheforgotten
01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
You can turn off the music. It's a nested split frame website. If you go to the bottom of the page, you can drag up the bottom frame and see the Quicktime player. Trust me, I don't like it either, but the person who helped design the website is no longer with us and I don't know how to change it. I'm not a website guy. I wanted it to be on the main page so people could mute or whatever, but such is the case with volunteer people, you don't always get what you want.

JMCarrigan
01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I mute my speakers in an instant.

swtheforgotten
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, besides our website music, anyone care to help with our models?

:)

shrox
01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
One thing I would ask, if you swapped out the models and characters with non Star Wars ones, would the film stand on it's own?

swtheforgotten
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Shrox - I don't understand your question. It's a Star Wars fan film, it can't stand on its own since it's linked with the Star Wars storyline. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. lol.

Now the majority of our models and locations are unique, custom made and custom conceived, except for Star Destroyer Bridges, which are pretty canon. We even made up a new Mon Cal Cruiser Bridge just to be different. We're not just rehashing existing Star Wars locations, if that's what you mean.

Dexter2999
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I think what he is asking is if the story (conflict and characters) are strong enough that if you were to translate them to another Universe of say the Dark Ages or Victorian era, would the story still be compelling? Or is the project leaning on the Star Wars universe to prop up an otherwise unremarkable story?

Personally, I suck. I'm trying to learn but I know my limits and I don't have anything to offer your project. Otherwise, I'd like to help. I like seeing fan films, or any indy project for that matter, succeed.

Have you checked over at CollabUnlimited? http://www.collabunlimited.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=29

Good Luck

jameswillmott
01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
...is the project leaning on the Star Wars universe to prop up an otherwise unremarkable story?

You mean like The Phantom Menace? :)

zapper1998
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
interesting ... yes it is ... what type of time line you looking at ??

swtheforgotten
01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Dexter2999 - I think our story would. Yes, it's set in the Star Wars Universe, but it's a strong story. I don't think I would have gotten 30 volunteer actors and over 100 CG artists involved up to this point if they didn't like the story.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

jameswillmott - Hey, I know you! lol. And you know the story is sweet. :) And you also know how serious we're taking this...as best we can anyway.

zapper1998 - Time line is ASAP. We just got several new compositors working shots that already have BG plates, but they are going to wipe out those shots in a few weeks, so I need some of my other locations completed and BG plates rendered so I can stay ahead of my compositors.

When they are ready for the next assignment, I don't want to have to put them on hold waiting for BG plates. I may lose them, so we're in full press mode now.

As mentioned, some models are done, but just need the BG plates done. That's just a week or so of work, depending on how quick someone is. For example, the Super Star Destroyer MagLev Train Station model is done, and it's sweet, and it's in Lightwave already, but the girl who made it could not render out the BG plates. I need someone to jump on that.

We have models mostly done in Max, saved as OBJ, so they can be imported, tweaked and finished. That would take a bit more time, but my focus is wiping out the easiest options so I at least have new BG plates ready for the compositors.

Cageman
01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
For example, the Super Star Destroyer MagLev Train Station model is done, and it's sweet, and it's in Lightwave already, but the girl who made it could not render out the BG plates. I need someone to jump on that.

Hmm... what about textures? If things are modeled and textured I can quite possibly help out with lighting/rendering. This week at work should be somewhat less stressful then the previous three weeks. :) And I can possibly sneak in some stuff on hour renderfarm as well. :D

LW_Will
02-01-2010, 02:44 AM
I think the original idea for the ships was to make the objects in LW, texture them, and then bake the textures onto the models so they could be exported to other packages like Maya and 3D Max.

Least ways, that's how I proposed it. (Hey Doug!)

I believe that all of the space-based stuff is being done by LW modelers now.

archijam
02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
After Except is done with the Brion Cemetery texture/lighting challenge (in this forum), why don't you use one of your un-textured, modelled interiors for the next challenge? Could give you some good variations on a theme, or even some content or setups that are compatible with other of your unfinished scenes. :thumbsup:

ps. .. As you can see here (http://www.except.nl/overig/brionvegacemeterychallenge/), it is not so different in architecture to some of the starwars environments ;) ..

swtheforgotten
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Cageman - Lighting and Texturing are done for that MagLev Train Station. At most you may have to tweak something if an issue arises. We just need the virtual cameras to be set to match the real shots, then render off the BG plates. Most shots are static, non-moving camera. I think there is one shot requiring motion tracking, or worst case scenario, eyeballing it. Email me directly please if interested.

LW_Will - Hey Will! All space stuff has gone to LW now, so we don't even have to bake anymore. We're staying away from Maya since it doesn't export anything useful. At least Max can go OBJ for the LW'ers. Anyway, the space stuff is covered by enough people, it's these rooms that I need squared away. :)

archijam - I guess my question would be how fast something like that could get me a workable model. I'm all for using our stuff for challenges, because then I have the chance to see different options. I just can't have that process take 3 months, because I still need to have someone render off all the BG plates associated with the scenes in that location.

If you can help me set this up, please email me directly. I am completely ignorant on all this stuff. I know my limits. I can play with real spaceships (I work in the space industry and specifically on the Space Shuttle Program), but I am not a CG guy. Any help would be appreciated.