PDA

View Full Version : Flat mesh of the box folded to 3D box

rafalkurc
01-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Hi Guys,
I need to use some flat mesh of the box with texture and fold it to 3d box for animation. How to do this?
Tutorial will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance!

IT IS REALLY URGENT!

I've attached the files - maybe someone will make it for me and I could get ready file for the future.

evenflcw
01-29-2010, 04:40 AM
If it's just a simple box, and folds are predictable and fixed, with few to no crossover folds bones should suffice.

rafalkurc
01-29-2010, 04:51 AM
If it's just a simple box, and folds are predictable and fixed, with few to no crossover folds bones should suffice.

I never done this before. I need to learn this - today :-
I know...it's Friday.

caesar
01-29-2010, 06:12 AM
The doubt is about texturing or folding the box?

Texture: just paint it in photoshop, or any similar software, its quite a simple model.
Folding: create a base endomorph, then create a new one, select it and select the model part you want and rotate it (like folding the box). Choose the base endomorph and see itīs moves! Create new endormorphs for detailed folding. Go to layout bring the sliders, keyframe 'em and thats it!

EDIT: perfect i found it http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=502

Skonk
01-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Morphs wont work right since the points will always take the shortest route to the next morph target.

caesar
01-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Morphs wont work right since the points will always take the shortest route to the next morph target.

Check the video tut above your post

nickdigital
01-29-2010, 06:30 AM
In Layout use the "=" key to add bones to your object.
Place the bones where your folds are.
Continue adding bones to where all your fold lines are.
When you're done hit the "r" key to active them.
Animate the bone on the rotation axis to animate the fold.

I loaded up your model and I would suggest adding more cut lines where your folds are to allow for the bend. You'll also wanna setup weight maps so the bones deform their specific area.

Your object is sitting really high up in Y. I would recommend centering it so bone layout is easier.

TeZzy
01-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Morphs will work but will require more than a base layer and a morph per fold. You would need in between morphs. Yes they would still be moving in the shortest distance but if you have enough morphs for a fold then your eyes will be fooled anyway(and motion blur will probably be on to further disguise it, unless you are doing stop motion). Not the most efficient way to fold a box of course.

So adding joints/bones to the box at the right pivots will be your quickest way to do it imo (assuming you have atleast basic rigging knowledge).

caesar
01-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Morphs will work but will require more than a base layer and a morph per fold. You would need in between morphs. Yes they would still be moving in the shortest distance but if you have enough morphs for a fold then your eyes will be fooled anyway(and motion blur will probably be on to further disguise it, unless you are doing stop motion). Not the most efficient way to fold a box of course.

So adding joints/bones to the box at the right pivots will be your quickest way to do it imo (assuming you have atleast basic rigging knowledge).

Yeah, i think layout bones are way better, like nickdigital suggested

rafalkurc
01-29-2010, 07:01 AM
i will try every advice you gave me. Thanks a lot for the link to the tutorial!

JeffrySG
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
It's for modo but there is a video tutorial on this as well here...

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=10786