PDA

View Full Version : Poly count lower with or without sub patches ?

Rooboy222
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey all

currently doing some models for a game , and have been given a poly count of around the 6000 mark , to me that will give hexagonal wheels and the such everything i hate

so my next thought was sub patches , any ideas what possible ways there are to keep the count at the level but not have a crap model

cheers

Roo

Hopper
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Polygonal model or Sub-D = same poly count.

Either way, unless your game engine knows how to translate to SubD, it's not going to matter. It's the same model.

Rooboy222
01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
was more meaning for the building process , rather than doing lots of slices and band saws with the sub d's would i be better just edge beveling ? i cant see how to do low count wheels that aint rubbish without sub d's , what if i was to make it all and freeze it then gut it would this be a good way to go around the problem ?

Hopper
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I think you will find that freezing your model will dramatically increase your poly count.

One suggestion I would make (and this is strictly opinion - basically something to try to see if it works for you...) is to make your model the way you like it, then begin to reduce in selective areas first. Slowly reduce in the areas that are not as obvious and work your away around until you reach the desired poly count.

Sensei
01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Check out whether game engine supports normal mapping. If yes, then model object in high poly and sub-patches without worrying about polygon count, and bake normal maps to 6k poly limited object (you can use automatic polygon reduction tools or retopology by hand). This way high poly look will be preserved in low poly object.

Example results for this method:
http://www.3dkingdoms.com/nmap.jpg

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html

Dodgy
01-28-2010, 08:10 PM
6000? That is a wonderland of polygons! I remember the day when we had 100 for a whole character!

We had to eat coal with a shovel etc etc...