PDA

View Full Version : Help for frustrated modeller

nigebabe
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi, attached is a LW 9.5 screen grab of a CAD conversion made from MOI. It is the front fuselage cockpit section of a Herti UAV and a picture is also attached of how it looks in real life. It has not yet been touched by LW and I want to re-model it and reduce the poly count.

My question is, 'How would you go about modelling this i.e. what technique? Splines? Retopology? Normal poly from primitive? I am having a real problem getting this right but mind you, I am not the best modeller by far.

Any suggestions?

Nige

Gary Heck
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I would probably start with primatives but there are many ways you could start. The main thing is to stay with it. Many times when I'm modeling I will start to think my technique is not going to work but if I keep working with it most of the time what I want will start to form. So don't give up and save lots of versions as you go along.
Hope this helps.

Dexter2999
01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd go with Splines, but I'm no good at box modeling.

jin choung
01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
yah,

you could use the existing vertices for the points of a spline cage.

create a cage that conforms to the large basic shape of the form and ignore the smaller cut outs.

patch the whole thing until you have a low poly base cage that you can subdivide into something smoother.

but you want the first mesh you get from the spline patch to be relatively light so you can go in and start to do modeling to get all the detail back.

oh and assign a glossy surface and a reflection map to it in layout and keep checking the reflections to make sure that you're making something that remains smooth rather than oatmeal lumpy. the first goal from the mesh you get from patching is something that will retain the countours of the original shape and be butter smooth.

once you achieve that, you can go back in and start putting in the details - while constantly checking to see if the countours and the smoothness remains.

luck

jin

SplineGod
01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Thats what I usually do. Pick existing points, make splines and patch. I would also not worry about making it a single mesh because most things are built in parts anyways. :)

nigebabe
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. I started spline modelling it last weekend but gave up as it looked like it was not going to work. I know it can be done because I've seen loads of you talented people doing a similar thing and more!!

A Modo retopology demo seemed to show you able to project a hi-res poly onto a background where it assumes the background shape. It looked like the answer (cheating I know) but reality proved much harder to make it happen.

Ill keep at it.......

Sensei
02-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Check out this thread
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13888&highlight=jaguar
I am making Jaguar car using spline modeling in EasySpline. There is 10 photos, step by step, with everything what is used mentioned in description.