PDA

View Full Version : iPad...3d apps for it ya think?

Pages : [1] 2

cresshead
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
iPad...3d apps for it ya think?

at $499 entry price and the multi touch screen it looks really interesting...it has a 1ghz chip

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/appletablet/appletabletb585.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/appletablet/appletabletb573.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/appletablet/appletabletb577.jpg

it sems to run 3d games okay...

biliousfrog
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't get it...it's an iPhone that doesn't fit in your pocket designed for reading books but has a glossy screen and costs the same as a netbook but can't do as much.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
You might not get it but a lot of ppl are. The question is as Cresshead posted, how & which 3D apps will migrate to it.

Core
Maya
Modo .... I would if these three were to somehow implement something.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Along with ....

Zbrush

jin choung
01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
It'll play 3d games fine. But I don't know if I'd want to make 3d assets on that.

I doubt any of the big players will port their apps to basically what is a big iPod touch.

But it's nice. May have to get this for my parents. IMO, if nothing else, a great computer for peeps who don't know computers.

Love the $30 data plan for 3g too. If only they had that for my iPod touch, I wouldn't need a cel phone.

Jin

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Yea, perhaps it might take awhile for the big 3D players, but there certainly will be an abundance of 2D paint, vector, and 3D (2nd level) apps available before years end. We'll have to see how sales fair before the likes of AD, Lux, NT and others dive in. AD does however have a few iPhone/iTouch apps out already:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13872203

It is very limited in it's use but with the expanding screen size and sensitivity of the iPad, who knows.

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:01 PM
No multi-tasking. No Flash player. No camera. No MacOS X - iPhoneOS, so no regular Mac software can be run. Top it off with Apple's closed policy.... And it is somewhat pricey, in my opinion.

As an e-reader the screen will probably be too bright in the dark, and difficult to read in sunlight - my Sony e-reader beats it hands-down for regular reading. And why is the design so terrible looking?

For most mobile gaming I would like real controls - oh, wait, there's a keyboard - damn, not so mobile now. Why the external keyboard, anyway? I thought this isn't supposed to be a 'regular' computer?

Too bad: I really wanted to like this one. The name is a bit stupid as well. Stocks went down by a couple of % after revealing - I wonder why. This design is a return to the slates introduced during the nineties.

Might be handy for professionals wanting to do their Keynote presentations without bringing their macBook. Wait a minute - where's the video output? Oh, there it is: a proprietary 30-pin output. That'll be $30 extra for the patented Apple rgb connector, please. Sigh. Oooh, I see the battery cannot be replaced by me without voiding warranty?
Sorry about the rant - I am just disappointed. I thought we would FINALLY see a slate that's small, affordable, runs a mainstream os, etc.

iPad falls iFlat.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
It will not be locked. Jobs spoke to that issue and there is a video port for presentations. Potential for 10 hours use and $14.99 web use with no contracts or obligations is cool. $30 for unlimited data use.

Yea, I would've liked having OSX built-in, with a camera. But hey what are they going to put in the next model if they do it all on the first. It's about what I expected minus OSX at a better price point than what I expected. I guessed it would come in at $599 to start with the high-end model priced at $999. They're smart in that they separated 3G as an option.

I do agree with on the Flash issue. What's up with that?

hrgiger
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I probably wouldn't buy a computer that sounds like a feminine hygene product.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 02:23 PM
LOL, that's funny! I'm rethinking my purchase ...

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Okay, I stand corrected as far as those things go. However, it is clear why the web use is so inexpensive - Apple execs KNOW they will have to bring it home in some other way.

It does seem to have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity - if only Painter or Photoshop would run on it. Ah, one can dream.

I played with this some time ago (or rather, its predecessor):
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF05a/321957-321957-3329744-3835813-3835813-4078805.html

Not as inexpensive, but it does have a built-in Wacom touch screen - and it worked quite well, both with a stylus and fingers. Also, multi-touch worked.
Not as sleek, though, but much more practical for 3d and graphics work on the road.

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Oops, Apple got a bit of a 'copyright' problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Lol!

It's at 13,552 views now. 5 million tomorrow.

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
If this goes viral... Perhaps the advertising department at Apple actually counted on this to happen. Perhaps not. ;-)

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
No, I don't think Apple is counting on this one getting out. Goes to show how busy they are, no one there watches YouTube.

shrox
01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Too small, frame edge is too big. I want something that looks like a 11"x17" plate of glass.

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Oops #2
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458412/itampon-is-the-2-trending-topic-on-twitter

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Shades of . . . never mind.

Rayek
01-27-2010, 02:52 PM
LOL

While Engadget is seemingly psychologically unable to say anything negative about the iPad, Gizmondo has no doubts about it:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

Ah well, another day, another gadget. I'll get on with my work now.

Lightwolf
01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, it certainly is an interesting product. At least half of that comes from being tied in to the Apple online stores.
No HDMI is a bummer for anything video related though (especially on a 4:3 display), no headphone jacks kind of sucks for music and no web camera (Skype?) lowers it's value as a web device.
On of my favourite comments so far: The iPod for pensioners (or senior citizens as they're called nowadays). And come to think of it, the first people I thought about are exactly that.

*shrugs*

I'm sure it's an interesting platform for developers though if you manage to hit the right taste buds.

Cheers,
Mike

gordonp
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
As for 3D apps for it. I would just be happy with an app that would sync to my LW renders so I would be able to know how their coming along.

Iain
01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Does Apple make mistakes these days?

They're like Nintendo-their products are weird and should just exist at the fringes but after a while everyone seems to, well..........like them.

Sekhar
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
No multi-tasking. No Flash player. No camera. No MacOS X - iPhoneOS, so no regular Mac software can be run. Top it off with Apple's closed policy.... And it is somewhat pricey, in my opinion.

And no SD card. But none of that matters: Apple could package San Jose mud for all it cares, and its die-hard fans will buy the iMud.

aa1037
01-27-2010, 03:34 PM
no headphone jacks kind of sucks for music

I'm pretty sure it has a headphone jack - it's listed on the ipad tech specs page

warmiak
01-27-2010, 03:37 PM

They're like Nintendo-their products are weird and should just exist at the fringes but after a while everyone seems to, well..........like them.

I don't know ... I mean they really scored big with iPod/iPhone class of devices but that's about it ....

Their share in the "big hardware" market is just about the same as it always was and their computers are essentially niche products ( 4-5% ) for people with "special needs" ( however they define them.)
They don't do anything better , can't do half of what a typical PC can do ( in terms of 3rd party software/hardware support) and cost more ... not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I do like my iPhone ...

Mike_RB
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
this is a cool device at $499 to replace 99% of what I use computers for outside of work. A simple light tablet to drag around and read the web/play music/ watch a few videos, play some simple games, check your maps, waiting in airports. It's the netbook for people with real computers elsewhere. I'm in. (Maybe ill wait for 2.0 with a camera).

Titus
01-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Ok, let's see... the last ones I can remember were the Mac Cube and the hockey puck mouse.

EDIT: And what about Apple TV?

Lightwolf
01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it has a headphone jack - it's listed on the ipad tech specs page
Ah, you're right, I missed that. Good, that makes it an iPod replacement then ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cresshead
01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, it certainly is an interesting product. At least half of that comes from being tied in to the Apple online stores.
No HDMI is a bummer for anything video related though (especially on a 4:3 display), no headphone jacks kind of sucks for music and no web camera (Skype?) lowers it's value as a web device.
On of my favourite comments so far: The iPod for pensioners (or senior citizens as they're called nowadays). And come to think of it, the first people I thought about are exactly that.

*shrugs*

I'm sure it's an interesting platform for developers though if you manage to hit the right taste buds.

Cheers,
Mike

the specs say it has a 1/4 inch in and out for headphones..... are you sure?

Titus
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm in. (Maybe ill wait for 2.0 with a camera).

Yep, I think it's a good a idea not to but 1.0 Apple products.

Iain
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
........their computers.........don't do anything better

Well, they do actually. They look good.
And they function well enough to not be an embarrassment. That's important to enough people to make Apple a lot of money.

4-5% is huge in that particular market.

calilifestyle
01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
i rather just buy the Archos 9 tablet

or the archos internet tablet.

Lightwolf
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
the specs say it has a 1/4 inch in and out for headphones..... are you sure?
Nope: "3.5-mm stereo headphone jack" - that's only out though, right? Not that a missing input would bother me here.
Missing (mini-)HDMI is more of a bummer, as (from what I've seen so far) even the dock itself only has analogue video up to 1024x768.

Cheers,
Mike

Titus
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't know ... I mean they really scored big with iPod/iPhone class of devices but that's about it ....

Their share in the "big hardware" market is just about the same as it always was and their computers are essentially niche products ( 4-5% ) for people with "special needs" ( however they define them.)
They don't do anything better , can't do half of what a typical PC can do ( in terms of 3rd party software/hardware support) and cost more ... not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I do like my iPhone ...

Apple's market share has been increasing to 8%-9%. Considering Dell has 18% market share, they are doing well.

Andyjaggy
01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Meh.

Pretty underwhelming. Too big to replace an ipod, not much more functionality then an iphone, and too small to do any serious work on. The only thin I could see myself doing on it is watching movies, and maybe browsing the internet, but then again I'm not much of a gadget nut. I don't feel the need to be connected to technology 24/7.

Lightwolf
01-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Apple's market share has been increasing to 8%-9%. Considering Dell has 18% market share, they are doing well.
That's in the US though, less than 3.5% world wide (which ain't bad considering that it used to be below 2% a decade ago or so).

Cheers,
Mike

cc3d
01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Yea, perhaps it might take awhile for the big 3D players, but there certainly will be an abundance of 2D paint, vector, and 3D (2nd level) apps available before years end. We'll have to see how sales fair before the likes of AD, Lux, NT and others dive in. AD does however have a few iPhone/iTouch apps out already:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13872203

It is very limited in it's use but with the expanding screen size and sensitivity of the iPad, who knows.

There is no reason for the big 3D Application players to waste their time developing their applications for this device. Who wants to shell out the $$ we do for 3D apps to run it on a sluggish 1ghz machine that is already tied down with handling UI duties!? AutoDesk put out a couple of play toys for the iPhone, but nothing serious.

I am a member in the ADC program and have developed iPhone apps. If the iPad is 5 times faster than the iPhone, it's going to be sluggish as well.

gerry_g
01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Well I hate doing 3D on my laptop thats what workstations are for and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it one one of these things but I'll still buy one. Every ones first take seems to be to compare it to a computer when I think the whole point is that it isn't one and I think for a lot of people who want a computer but hate the idea of getting to grips with one this is huge selling point.

achrystie
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, I'm hardly one to stick up for Apple, I've made it very clear on many occasions that I consider all electronics to be junk, and Apple just happens to make "pretty" and overpriced versions of said junk...however, I'll play devils advocate as this has me "somewhat" interested.

Here's why.
I don't need a cell phone. The reason i don't need one, is because I make a phone call probably once a month on my cell phone, and, at best, I "might" need an emergency phone (hasn't happened yet knock on wood). Because of this, I have a prepaid phone that costs me around 15 bucks a month and skype account that gets me a home phone number, unlimited north american calls, and voicemail, for about 70 bucks a year.
Now, here is the issue, I "could" and "would" make use of internet access and email pretty regularly, on the go, however, to get that functionality, my only options are basically a pda/blackberry/iphone/android phone, all of which cost a ridiculous amount per month ($60-$80) as they come bundled with sms texting, monthly minutes, etc., and also require that I sign up for a 2 year agreement, none of which I want or need.
So...I never go this route, it's a waste. Plus, the phones are so small, I basically can't browse the web the way I need to, can't use it to read stuff, and my fat fingers are mostly a no go on the touchscreen versions (I have an itouch, but only for development testing and I can barely use the touch keyboard in landscape mode and only with one finger at a time).

This is where the ipad comes in. It has a screen big enough for my fat fingers, I can read stuff on it without getting a headache 3 minutes in, I can make or import a spreadsheet and actually see the data and manipulate it, I can watch a movie without going blind, play a game that has more than one on screen button that I might actually be able to see the graphics/characters for, and I can do this all on the go, with 3G internet connectivity for 30 bucks a month, that I'm willing to bet will also allow me to use the iphone skype application for my once or twice a month phone calls that are not made from home. Sounds good to me, in the end even the device price +30/month will be cheaper than all 3G plans+iphone/phone cost, and I don't have to lock myself into one provider for 2 years and be pissed off that I'm stuck with their BS 6 months from now when their 3G lines are clogged, they change terms to limit my bandwidth too much, or up the price. Plus, I think the keyboard dock is a good idea, for once. I was disappointed in no keyboard "option" for iphone/itouch when those were released.

So there is an up side, but, as always, I can't disagree that there are reservations because of the following:
no camera
no pressure sensitivity with stylus
a real OS with open software availability
a faster processor and more information on ram/graphics capabilities
a price still a bit higher than I really want to pay

cresshead
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
you know what the real NEWS is here?

apple creating their own 'chip'...i'm sure they'll use it for more than the ipod-in-a-growbag

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
The only way I'll be getting one is if and when it can function as an extension to my work. Don't know how far down the road that'll be, but the price point made that decision much easier to make. As of now though my money stays firmly planted in my wallet.

warmiak
01-27-2010, 07:24 PM

apple creating their own 'chip'...i'm sure they'll use it for more than the ipod-in-a-growbag

It is just another Soc .... most likely Cortex 8-9 + SGX GPU.

Titus
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM

I've just decyphered the characters on this chip and it says: "OBBEY ME".

SBowie
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/appletablet/appletabletb585.jpgIt's a bit bigger than I expected .... :p

hrgiger
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
It's a bit bigger than I expected .... :p

Maybe Jobs is compensating?

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
"Netbooks don't do anything better."
- Steve Jobs

warmiak
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
That's in the US though, less than 3.5% world wide (which ain't bad considering that it used to be below 2% a decade ago or so).

Cheers,
Mike

Well, they are just too damn expensive for what they offer (compared to PCs) - something that makes even more difference to people who don't enjoy US style salaries.

warmiak
01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
4-5% is huge in that particular market.

No it is not.

You are thinking hardware and it is true Apple makes money selling their hardware but what makes them different from say Dell is their own OS - and here they enjoy about 5% of the market which has huge implications for 3rd party vendors who sell hardware(think drivers and separate apps for OS X ) ,not to mention pure software vendors.

You could drop below 1% and still make good money selling PCs running Windows - something Apple just could not afford.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
@ Warmiak,

From CNN Money: By Phillip Elmer-DeWitt

"The iPhone gets the most press and the iPod sells in the largest quantities, but it's the Macintosh that really drives Apple's growth, says Gene Munster.

In the second installment of a multipart report on Apple's "3 Cylinder Engine," Piper Jaffray's chief Apple (AAPL) analyst looks at the Mac business over the next couple of years and likes what he sees. In particular:

Growth: After Apple introduced the Intel Macs, Mac sales grew 37% in 2007, more than double the industry-wide rate of 15%. Munster is modeling 2.0 to 2.1 million Macs for the March quarter (vs. the Street's 1.95 million). He believes Apple will continue to outpace its competitors with upgraded iMacs and Mac minis in the next 3 months and redesigned MacBooks and MacBook Pros in time for the '08 education season.
Market Share: According to IDC, Apple's worldwide market share grew from 2.4% in 2006 to 2.9% in 2007. (See chart below.) Munster is conservatively modeling global market share to remain flat this year, but he notes that enterprise sales account for 70% of the worldwide market, a segment Apple is not aggressively targeting. In the consumer market, where Apple does compete, he estimates the Mac's share is now 10% worldwide and an impressive 21% in the U.S.
Sales Price: While Apple has gained market share over the past three years, it has also been able to resist the industry trend of decreasing sales prices. In fact, it actually increased its average sales price (ASP) by more than $150 from December '05 to December '07. "The combination of increasing ASPs and rising market share is evidence of a compelling product line," writes Munster.
One more thing: although consumers and investors tend to believe Macs cost 20% to 30% more than comparable PCs, according to Munster, he did some price comparisons and found that on average, the price difference is closer to 16% for desktop machines and 9% for laptops — essentially unchanged from a similar comparison he made two years ago."

What is interesting here is that Apple is outpacing any PC maker in worldwide and US sales by more than double. Also Macs are only on average 16% more than a competing PC, versus the 20-30% myth.

warmiak
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
What is interesting here is that Apple is outpacing any PC maker in worldwide and US sales by more than double. Also Macs are only on average 16% more than a competing PC, versus the 20-30% myth.

Well, 20-30% still holds if you are building your own PC ( not to mention being able to mix and match whatever you want ) ...

cresshead
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
"Netbooks don't do anything better."
- Steve Jobs

i disagree with that..i have a netbook [samsung] and so i can take my 3d apps anywhere without the weight penalty of a full on laptop...okay runnign them might not be 'stellar' but lightwave, max and zbrush are all HAPPY on the netbook and i have done work on them...rendering is slooow on a atom chip but tweeking a model or showing of a scene is doable fo sure.

browse the net and see FLASH enabled sites..i can use a mouse if i choose to..have an SD card slot in the device sold as standard and not rely on an ugly 'plastic wart adapter' glued on the sie of my tablet/pc ruining it's form factor.

...i don't need and optional 'stand' for it to stand on it's own [netbook]....or an optional keyboard if i want to write war and tablets!:D

bottomline for me is IF the iPad was running OSX i'd be all over it...but it's just a big ipod so it's all over for me....:oye:

i'm sure they will shift a few..but unless it has a stack of cheap proper apps then it'll fold up and gather dust...

some things like the lack of a camera, sd card slot, microphone jack are just too much for me...the glossy screen will have amazon rolling in the isles in fits of laughter...it's NO kindle killer....
doesn't seem to read to you either..and 10 hours is so poop compared to 14days of the kindle...

it does everything poorly...much like how steve jobs described the netbook except the netbook actually has a good use and it's cheap and does not skimp on features to make way for version 2.0+ of the iphone/ipad/ipod selling to you i a year's time.

the dock with the physical keyboard only works in portraight mode...
the plastic wart adapters appear to be an ugly 'solution' to make users buy a larger memory version of the ipad...an own goal i think...as it's just not upto the mark.

the idea is great...but using the ipod o/s is just silly.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, 20-30% still holds if you are building your own PC ( not to mention being able to mix and match whatever you want ) ...

That is true.

CGI Addict
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
bottomline for me is IF the iPad was running OSX i'd be all over it...but it's just a big ipod so it's all over for me....:oye:

Agree. I was hoping that would be the case (OSX included).

cresshead
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
iphone 4?

http://www.samcadman.com/assets/tv/tv_trigger_t.jpg

voriax
01-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Here's a question - would anyone buy this product if it were made by HP, Toshiba, or any other computer manufacturer?

Would you buy a HP Tablet PC that couldn't view flash-enabled webpages? Or multitask? Or didn't have a USB port? That ran a proprietary operating system that severely limited it's capabilities?

I can just imagine it, in the Apple executive boardroom... "Start taking bets! How many people will buy this thing just because it has an Apple logo on it?"

warmiak
01-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Here's a question - would anyone buy this product if it were made by HP, Toshiba, or any other computer manufacturer?

Would you buy a HP Tablet PC that couldn't view flash-enabled webpages? Or multitask? Or didn't have a USB port? That ran a proprietary operating system that severely limited it's capabilities?

I can just imagine it, in the Apple executive boardroom... "Start taking bets! How many people will buy this thing just because it has an Apple logo on it?"

Well, it works for them.

As opposed to Microsoft and others , Apple is primarily a marketing company ...

jin choung
01-28-2010, 01:34 AM
i think most negative reactions to this is because of previous expectations.

if you're thinking like a mac tablet pc kinda thing - yeah, it's not that.

it's exactly like a BIG HONKING IPOD TOUCH or iphone... that's it.

and for what that product is, it's pretty cool. i think i'm going to get this for my parents cuz my dad can fiddle with an iphone but he couldn't run a pc or mac (os x) to save his life.

this is a computer for people who don't get computers.

for the rest of us, it's basically an ipod touch - biggified. if you like the ipod touch (and i like mine), there's just more to love now... : )

----------------------------------------------

actually, it has the subscription plan that i was hoping the nexus one google phone was going to have - $30/month data only and any occasional voice use can be over VOIP.

alas, i can't really stuff this in my pocket.

my plan is possibly to wear it around my neck with a thick gold chain with a giant analog clock app running.

jin

p.s. oh! and of course, we can't discount the "mug me" factor.... there are going to be a lot of people gonna die from having one of these in public...

jin choung
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM

yes - if they had the app store.

imo, THAT'S the thing that makes this product - as well as the iphone and ipod touch. that's the thing that pushed the iphone from just another also ran to a force.

the app store has reached a critical mass of ubiquity and popularity for great price points for app that it is basically THE mobile marketplace and that's something that can't really be associated with any other product.

steam, xboxarcade, the ps3 and wii arcades are similar concepts but the app store just really put a fine point on the concept.

and that's why the idea of making a larger app store device was a pretty brilliant move.

jin

jin choung
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
oh...

and R.I.P. kindle. we hardly knew ye.

jin

biliousfrog
01-28-2010, 02:48 AM
haha, I love this: 'the iPhone is now called the iPad nano'

cresshead
01-28-2010, 03:38 AM
haha, I love this: 'the iPhone is now called the iPad nano'

:D

:agree:

there's going to be so many jokes now...i just see it as a ipod dropped into a growbag for a couple of weeks!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81541&d=1264676355

Matt
01-28-2010, 04:14 AM
i probably wouldn't buy a computer that sounds like a feminine hygene product.

rotfl!

cresshead
01-28-2010, 04:26 AM
rotfl!

have you seen the ipad spoof video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Matt
01-28-2010, 04:47 AM
I have a question for any iPhone/iPod Touch owners out there.

Can you plug an iPhone/iPod Touch into a computer that doesn't have iTunes on it, and be able to drag files to and from it, like a USB stick?

And can apps that run on it access those files (even if they were separate from the more embedded content) like a special 'vault' storage area or something.

Reason I ask is because I can see this being very useful for presentations where I work, but one of the things about the iPhone I never liked (unless this has changed in recent updates) is that you can't plug it into your computer and use it the way I described.

If we could plug this device into a computer (PC/Mac iTunes/No Itunes) drag folders of images (to run as a slideshow) maybe the odd animation, and PDF presentations (Keynote would be cool too, boss uses that) WITHOUT having to sync using iTunes.

Then I'm sold. Without the ability to do that, it's of little use to me.

achrystie
01-28-2010, 05:21 AM
have you seen the ipad spoof video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Will version 2 have a widescreen ratio with a curved screen and be called the IMAXiPad?

probiner
01-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Why not just make a foldable cintiq with an On Screen Keyboard, pen or finger operated? I-Book?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/book.png

biliousfrog
01-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Why not just make a foldable cintiq with an On Screen Keyboard, pen or finger operated? I-Book?

They are already in development...not by Apple but there are a number of manufacturers working on foldable OLED screened devices.

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Can you plug an iPhone/iPod Touch into a computer that doesn't have iTunes on it, and be able to drag files to and from it, like a USB stick?

And can apps that run on it access those files (even if they were separate from the more embedded content) like a special 'vault' storage area or something.

Reason I ask is because I can see this being very useful for presentations where I work, but one of the things about the iPhone I never liked (unless this has changed in recent updates) is that you can't plug it into your computer and use it the way I described.

If we could plug this device into a computer (PC/Mac iTunes/No Itunes) drag folders of images (to run as a slideshow) maybe the odd animation, and PDF presentations (Keynote would be cool too, boss uses that) WITHOUT having to sync using iTunes.

Then I'm sold. Without the ability to do that, it's of little use to me.

You can't do it just by plugging it and it shows up like an normal external HD, but there are apps like Discover, Air sharing and Download Manager lite to name three.

Basically, you can store and retrieve data from these apps via wi-fi. These apps give you an address to type in Explorer/ftp clients/web browsers on any computer and you gain access to the files.

Kuzey

Gui Lo
01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Can we just use the iPad without owning a computer?

I'm thinking that this would be great for grandparents.

Anybody know?

realgray
01-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I read in some reviews that this is going to be the death of the kindle (maybe nook too). I don't have an e-reader yet but would like to get one. Any ideas on how this is better to read books on than e-paper?

Red_Oddity
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM

You mean like the Courier MS is working on?
http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-courier-video-shows-how-well-actually-use-it?autoplay=true

Lightwolf
I read in some reviews that this is going to be the death of the kindle (maybe nook too). I don't have an e-reader yet but would like to get one. Any ideas on how this is better to read books on than e-paper?
Colour, faster page turning, backlit, video.

However, apparently e-ink has the advantage of being easier on the eyes in the long run.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt

Well, looking at the Kindle unit and the iPad, it's clear which wins out. Kindle will probably sell to those that can't afford an iPad, on just want a reader only.

realgray

Anybody know?

I was thinking the same thing. Large font plus touch could equal friendlier internet for people who are not really computer literate.

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Anybody know?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

It says you need a computer, but I don't see how you can't set it up on your computer first before handing it over.

Kuzey

realgray
01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
"However, apparently e-ink has the advantage of being easier on the eyes in the long run"

That was the central theme of the argument on Diggnation and a few other sources. Which one was going to be easier on the eyes for reading? It would be interesting if an eye association or group of doctors studied them and gave their thoughts or a recommendation.

probiner
01-28-2010, 08:10 AM
When i posted the foldable cintiq, i thought of "making" it with e-ink. But it would be stupid to have to carry a flashlight around with it to be able to see in darker rooms :D

But its like when you draw on paper or in a light table, all depends of the room lightning quality.

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
When i posted the foldable cintiq, i thought of "making" it with e-ink. But it would be stupid to have to carry a flashlight around with it to be able to see in darker rooms :D

But its like when you draw on paper or in a light table, all depends of the room lightning quality.

And how long you use it...just like normal computers, they say you should take a break for a few minutes every hour in front of the computer. I use Stanza on my iPod touch to read novels and you can change the brightness level....I'm sure the iPad does the same.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I must say, those drawing apps will be more useful now on the larger screen. I think it might also affect the sales of graphic tablets in the long run.

Kuzey

probiner
01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
You mean like the Courier MS is working on?
http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-courier-video-shows-how-well-actually-use-it?autoplay=true

missed your post, that looks great. Now they just need to make the 2 screen a continous, so you go from DSi to big screen :P
Will keep track fo this one.

Cheers

ken_g9
01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Might be cool for the intended market (whoever they are), but no OSX for me is a bummer...

cresshead
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
saw this on cgtalk so just had to share it!

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/expaintz/images/iavatar-1.png

JML
01-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Anybody knows why exactly iphone or ipad doesn't display flash things ?
is flash too powerful for the processor inside the iphone/ipad or is adobe
slowing them down? or..

Andyjaggy
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
It's not Adobe, in fact they have expressed their dissatisfaction with Apple on this matter.

I think Apple claims it's a security threat, and bogs down the machine too much, but I think it's because it would compete too much with Apple's own agenda. It would make it too open and accessible.

cresshead
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
It's not Adobe, in fact they have expressed their dissatisfaction with Apple on this matter.

I think Apple claims it's a security threat, and bogs down the machine too much, but I think it's because it would compete too much with Apple's own agenda. It would make it too open and accessible.

:agree: apple like to control stuff that's why they do the app store, itunes,ibooks

the google phone can have apps made by anyone and they just load it up anywhere on the net ...

Mike_RB
01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
sign me up for one of these suckers (maybe 2.0). Its basically an ipod touch for documents and web, I'm in. It's what I use computers for 99% of the time when I'm not working. And I don't mind that it's all locked down and iphone OS, for a basic computer I dont want that control. It would also be killer with the maps app and 3g and in the top of my tank bag on my VFR.

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
"However, apparently e-ink has the advantage of being easier on the eyes in the long run"

That was the central theme of the argument on Diggnation and a few other sources. Which one was going to be easier on the eyes for reading? It would be interesting if an eye association or group of doctors studied them and gave their thoughts or a recommendation.

Not only that, the battery life of a e-ink device is amazing.
After all you only need energy to CHANGE the display of an image.

As soon as E-ink interfaces go down in price, and refresh rates go up,
you will see some amazing things.

The key reason Apple wants to keep Flash off this device is simple.
They dont want flash apps on their device.

warmiak
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
slowing them down? or..

No, they would rather sell tv shows and related stuff thru iTunes and having this stuff available for free on hulu.com would not be good for business.

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
No, they would rather sell tv shows and related stuff thru iTunes and having this stuff available for free on hulu.com would not be good for business.

Agreed and dont forget the app store.
That makes a lot of money for them.

But hey, one can look hip and trendy using an Apple device (BTW do you guys know where did I leave my black turtleneck and black jeans?)

JML
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM

:agree: apple like to control stuff that's why they do the app store, itunes,ibooks
the google phone can have apps made by anyone and they just load it up anywhere on the net ...

that make sense,

but how can you view a webpage without flash ? I don't even know a site that
doesn't use flash...
I'm suprised it doesn't bother more people..

Andyjaggy
01-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Everyone thinks it's going to kill the kindle. I don't think so, here is why.

1) battery life.
2) e-ink, if anyone is even remotely like me, I like to read outside. Forget that with the ipad. It's easier on the eyes. People say that you can't read e-ink in the dark.... turn on a lamp, I would much rather read with a lamp on, then stare at a glowing screen in the dark, can you say red eyes? I don't think Apple understands why people like traditional media when it comes to books.
3) The kindle is small and simple, my parents have one and love it, because it does one thing really well, they just want to read a book, not mess around with a stupid tablet.
4) Kindle doesn't charge you to get online and buy a book (minus the cost of the book) With the ipad you will either have to pay for some sort of 3G service, or be somewhere that happens to have wireless that you can access. Not everyone in the world is constantly wired to the web.

Then again like I said before, I hate gadgets, just more things to clutter up my life, I hate being plugged into electronics 24/7, I'm starting to sound old. :)

biliousfrog
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
This video makes me feel physically sick, I still can barely believe that it isn't a parody and is actually worse than the Windows 7 launch party video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7qLLYCODg

probiner
01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
This video makes me feel physically sick, I still can barely believe that it isn't a parody and is actually worse than the Windows 7 launch party video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7qLLYCODgMust be a flaw in the strategy... i got physically happy with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7HD9HnEWw :D

Now for real 2 questions:
-E-ink's battery life will change when its colorfull right? (if it ever gets to that point).
-Having a lot of others ppl applications in your phone with Google phone, just sounds... unsafe... really how is that going, cause looks to easy to steal personal data in a PC platform (if that is the case)

Cheers

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Must be a flaw in the strategy... i got physically happy with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7HD9HnEWw :D

Now for real 2 questions:
-E-ink's battery life will change when its colorfull right? (if it ever gets to that point).
-Having a lot of others ppl applications in your phone with Google phone, just sounds... unsafe... really how is that going, cause looks to easy to steal personal data in a PC platform (if that is the case)

Cheers
There is a color version of the E-ink.
Hell I held in my hands a color prototype of a E-ink device 3 years ago.
And it acted the same way a normal E-ink device would..
Considering that is it the same tech, the batterly life should also be QUITE long.

The refresh rate was about 2-3 seconds for it back then.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/SIGGRAPH%202007/IMG_0695.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/SIGGRAPH%202007/Img_0696.jpg

biliousfrog
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Must be a flaw in the strategy... i got physically happy with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7HD9HnEWw :D

Cheers

haha...yeah, I'd watch her flicking through her nook all day :D

Matt
01-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Niiiiiiiiice big delay in page updates :|

Lightwolf
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Niiiiiiiiice big delay in page updates :|
Yup, but Niiiiiiiiice zero power use to display it. :)

Cheers,
Mike

Titus
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
slowing them down? or..

Apple doesn't allow apps who can run a secondary proceses. In this case the Flash executable is the first layer, and the flash movie the second.

probiner
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
2 seconds? well i noticed it went black after each page change, but what about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASzE-fKnhMs (read poster info)

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I was never into flash....it's a pain in the backside.

Those other e readers seem to be designed in the 80's, even that colour version...looks like you are viewing photos from 4 decades ago :D

Kuzey

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Actuallythe e-readers that use E-ink tech are really bleeding edge display devices.
Really...
:)

Here is how the technology works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/e-ink.htm
The I-Pad on the other hand is using tech that is to be blunt
no even close to be bleeding edge.

Having said that,
The Kindle 1.0 had a horrible design.

-EsHrA-
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
http://imgur.com/u0Ino.png

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Actuallythe e-readers that use E-ink tech are really bleeding edge display devices.
Really...

Here is how the technology works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/e-ink.htm
The I-Pad on the other hand is using tech that is to be blunt
no even close to be bleeding edge.

Having said that,
The Kindle 1.0 had a horrible design.

On the inside it might be bleeding edge.....but is it really useful :D

Will we see this technology on laptops, main computers etc....I don't think so.

And then there is the productivity issue, one does one thing and one thing only, the other.......well :)

Kuzey

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 01:34 PM

And then there is the productivity issue, one does one thing and one thing only, the other.......well :)

Kuzey

Right now,
You are 100% right.

Give a few years for this tech to cook, and you will see some amazing things.

http://imgur.com/u0Ino.png

That is AMESOME ..

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Right now,
You are 100% right.

Give a few years for this tech to cook, and you will see some amazing things.

I do hope so...it would be a waste if it turns out to be a white elephant.

Kuzey

CGI Addict
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
On the inside it might be bleeding edge.....but is it really useful :D

Kuzey

See, that's just it right there. This is where Jobs & Co. seem to get it right. They make products that consumers feel they can't live without by innovating on existing technology. The real beauty behind iPad is iBook and all of the next level apps that will be available soon. And getting to do all of this on a big portable screen with go anywhere internet at 3g speed makes it all the more satisfying.

Those of us who fill the need to be able to get work done on it isn't who they made these for, although I have a feeling that aspect will also come to iPad not long after it becomes available or when it hits 2.0.

Kuzey
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I can imagine Adobe or someone else (maybe Apple) creating an app that turns the iPad into a full graphic tablet for photoshop etc.

Stylus being optional and what not :D

It's going to be interesting to see what comes out.

Kuzey

cresshead
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah let's see what the big app creators do to tun the ipad from a overgrown ipod into something actually usefull...

hope we see>>

autodesk sketchbook pro for ipad http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13872203
http://images.weiphone.com/attachments/Day_090917/36_311671_1942b7026452dd1.png

art rage for ipad
http://www.artrage.com/images/ar3screenshot2.jpg

tv paint for ipad www.tvpaint.com
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UoAHUECnNe8/RxUEceEfCvI/AAAAAAAACCM/Z_rBTMBfkKo/s400/TVPaint+Animation+Prp+8.5.4+Portable.jpg

sumo paint for ipad http://www.sumopaint.com/home/
http://www.sumopaint.com/images/sumo/sumoapp200.jpg

google sketchup
http://blog.hubalek.net/media/1/20060514-sketchup.png

mudbox
http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/a/autodesk_mudbox-175042-1.jpeg

anime studio
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_8/file_364515.jpg

if we 'some' of these then the ipad won't be a joke device.:thumbsup:

cresshead
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
corel painter essentials
http://studiografiko.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/corel-painter-essentials.jpg

stroy planner
http://www.toonz.com/htm/products/imgs/SPPRO_3columns.jpg

like any new operating system this new device will live or die on the apps that come to it.

one thing we don't know is how much RAM is in the device and how much of that is set aside for graphics display on their A4 cpu

Titus
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah let's see what the big app creators do to tun the ipad from a overgrown ipod into something actually usefull...

Big christmas list you have. Let's see:

>autodesk sketchbook pro for ipad
Mmmm, maybe.

>art rage for ipad
Yeah, it's possible

>tv paint for ipad
Ain't gonna happen.

>sumo paint for ipad
dunno

>google sketchup
Ain't gonna happen

>mudbox
Never forever

>anime studio
Don't think so.

But paraphrasing Steve: think positive :D

cresshead
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
of course if you won't want to wait....:D

http://www.archos.com/img/nox_main/home/home-archos-9-en.jpg

Tech Specs

PROCESSOR Intel ATOM Z510 1.1 GHz
DISPLAY 8.9” LED backlight
1024x600 pixels
Resistive touch screen
Video chipset: Intel Poulsbo US15W
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter Edition
SYSTEM MEMORY 1GB onboard (DDR2 SDRAM 400)
HARD DRIVE HDD 60GB (1.8”)
COMMUNICATION WiFi: PCI-E interface, 1 antenna, support IEEE 802.11b/g
Ethernet: 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet Controller (via port replicator)
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR compliant)
AUDIO Audio card : Realtek ALC269
2 built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
PORTS USB 2.0 port (2 additional ports via port replicator)
DC-IN jack
3.5” audio output (1 additional output via port replicator)
Microphone input (via port replicator)
Ethernet port (via port replicator)
MOUSE NAVIGATION Optical finger navigation system (trackpoint)
Left and right mouse buttons
POWER SOURCE Internal: removable Lithium Polymer battery
External: Power adapter/charger
BATTERY LIFE Approx. 5h
MISCELLANEOUS Integrated 1.3MP webcam
Built-in leg stand (2 positions)
DIMENSIONS 256 x 134 x 17 mm
WEIGHT 800 grams
PACKAGE INCLUDES ARCHOS 9, removable battery, stylus, AC adapter with power cord, user guide, legal and safety notice

JML
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
of course if you won't want to wait....:D

That thing look sweet and a lot better !

so how's the Ipad supposed to be better than that Archos ?

the name is much better too :)
Ipad.. didn't they think it was a bad idea to name it like that ?

Lightwolf
01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Infrastructure... and it's not meant to be a computer.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike_RB
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Cheers,
Mike

Notepad. Wordpad. Thinkpad. Ipad is fine.

JML
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM

so different, not better then. :)

Seem like a lot of people were hoping it would be a osx running computer.

calilifestyle
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Notepad. Wordpad. Thinkpad. Ipad is fine.

Cruchpad

cresshead
01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
or...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-KHCxZqyL._AA280_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kaS4aI0nL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

* Intel Atom Z520 Processor 1.33GHz
* 1 GB of DDR2 RAM, 1 Slot, 2 GB Max
* 32 GB Solid State Drive + 500 GB Free Eee Storage
* 8.9-Inch Touch LED LCD Display; Bluetooth; 5 Hour Battery Life
* Multi-Touch Functionality; Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) Operating System

$484.00

Liber777
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I probably wouldn't buy a computer that sounds like a feminine hygene product.

Apple already has a new model in the works sporting a larger screen; it's called the MaxiPad. (:

cresshead
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
or !!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514yIJJkqmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Zoostorm Fizzbook Spin 8.9" Touchscreen Tablet Netbook / Childrens Laptop (Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, XP Home)
£349.99

....or

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518oQ3EcqkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Elonex Websurfer Connect 7" Touchscreen UMPC Laptop Computer (Windows XP, Removable VOIP Phone, 1gb RAM, 30gb HDD, WiFi, Bluetooth)
£175.00

cresshead
01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
i'd say this on the iPAD...the 'way you use it' is great...the lack of a proper operating system and associated apps is a deal breaker for many people here...the lack of a camera , flash capability and sd card slot is embarassing.

calilifestyle
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I feel the lack of sd card is the biggest problem. next problem for me,cant run multiple apps. one the biggest reasons why i love the Nexus one. Also your stuck with att. they are using that Micro-Sim and no other carrier has one in the usa.

also i agree if this things is more of web-tablet then a tablet-pc. then the lack of Flash support is stupid. It doesn't matter if apple hates flash. If the web uses flash then so should a web-tablet. it's like in 80% of web.

dsol
01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
slowing them down? or..

Flash is a massive CPU hog - and on a mobile device that means it destroys your battery life. Browsing web with one of these babies with Flash enabled would probably give you only a few hours battery life.

And yes, performance wouldn't be great either. Flash has extremely limited GPU acceleration, and relies heavily on complex software rasterization. The CPU inside the iPad is likely an ARM Cortex A9, which indicates it'll be faster than an Atom clock-for-clock - but still much slower than a desktop/laptop class CPU (the likes of which Flash still struggles to run completely smoothly on).

The final nail in the coffin is memory usage. I'm betting the iPad doesn't have bags of RAM - probably 512MB, maybe 1GB (or somewhere between). Supporting Flash would push up memory usage while browsing, increasing the chances of it crashing the browser.

Apple (and Google) don't like Flash - and both are pushing to replace it with the evolving HTML5 format. I think this is a good thing in the long term.

jin choung
01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
again -

it's not supposed to be a computer.

it's supposed to be a fancy toy. media player, web surfer, basically an app store thin client.

if you wanted a tablet computer ala the archos and the many pc variations, if you were looking for the mac version of a tablet pc - you're trying to shoehorn the square peg of your desire into the round hole of reality.

this is not that.

again - this is a BIG HONKING IPOD TOUCH.

period.

i think the very LAST thing apple is going to target it for is as a productivity device.

jin

dsol
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
That thing look sweet and a lot better !

the name is much better too :)
Ipad.. didn't they think it was a bad idea to name it like that ?

There's a reason tablet computing hasn't taken off - despite Microsoft pimping it heavily since 2001. Desktop OS User Interfaces are designed for Mouse controls (or graphics tablets). MS don't seem to be able to grasp this, which is why Windows Mobile sucks so horribly compared to the iPhone UI.

The iPhone OS UI is designed from the ground up to be used with touch as the primary input. This is the root of most of the design decisions made with the iphone and now, with its evolutionary descendent - the iPad.

For all the naysayers out there saying that it should have run OSX, I ask you: How well do you think apps designed for a desktop WIMP environment would have worked with a touchscreen interface? iPhone OS is a perfect fit for this class of device. And I think we'll see some really interesting apps for it this year.

dsol
01-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Yes, I'm pleased to say you can (finally!). This is a new feature of the iPhone OS3.2 SDK

Mike_RB
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
again -

it's supposed to be a fancy toy. media player, web surfer, basically an app store thin client.

if you wanted a tablet computer ala the archos and the many pc variations, if you were looking for the mac version of a tablet pc - you're trying to shoehorn the square peg of your desire into the round hole of reality.

this is not that.

period.

i think the very LAST thing apple is going to target it for is as a productivity device.

jin

exactly, its a document touch... i can totally see owning one eventually.

cresshead
01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
again -

this is not that.

period.

jin

web surfer> fail...try going to newtek.com, the newyork times ffs has flash...on stevejobs demo you can clearly see flash areas FAIL to display!:ohmy:...autodesk.com cgtalk.com, bbc.co.uk

just WHERE can you SURF on this white elephant and have the page display all of the page?

all this poop about flash>> it's too much is just complete and utter rubbish..my atom powered netbook manages just fine and runs for 7hours on the battery [samsung]

is it... :beta:

just like basil fawlty says to the woman not using her hearing aid...TURN ..IT ON!

calilifestyle
01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Also cresshead they have flash/beta running on the Nexus one Phone. it has 1.ghz snapdragon processor. so i don't understand all this talk about, that flash processor intensive.

cresshead
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
my rant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaRRJPk_ziY

robertoortiz
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Maybe Jobs is compensating?
Nah,
he just make it on the same scale as his Ego.

Tom Wood
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
my rant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaRRJPk_ziY

Rubbish!

LOL

I think this is targeted at the places where we see magazines and newspapers already laying about when we get there - waiting rooms, airplanes, coffee tables. You pick it up and play with it while they change your oil or while you wait to see the doc. Maybe they get slotted into the tops of bars or restaurant tables too, dunno. There's one in the back of the airplane/train seat in front of you. First app that makes it scream when you try to steal it will make a killing.

jin choung
01-28-2010, 10:48 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/65708/Other/General/Trailer/Apple-iPad-Trailer/Flash-Video

oh and in case anyone gets the wrong idea - i hate apple.

i am not a mac fan.

i think jobs' little dictator is absolutely no more open, free, liberating or artistic than the house gates built - he just puts it in a turtle neck and slaps a $500 surcharge on it.

but i like my ipod touch. and this just looks like an extension of that.

jin

p.s. but i did jailbreak the sucker. you can make something your way but that don't mean i have to play by your rules... : )

Dexter2999
01-28-2010, 11:15 PM
rather have this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0EtliiUY8

cresshead
01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/65708/Other/General/Trailer/Apple-iPad-Trailer/Flash-Video

oh and in case anyone gets the wrong idea - i hate apple.

i am not a mac fan.

i think jobs' little dictator is absolutely no more open, free, liberating or artistic than the house gates built - he just puts it in a turtle neck and slaps a $500 surcharge on it.

but i like my ipod touch. and this just looks like an extension of that.

jin

p.s. but i did jailbreak the sucker. you can make something your way but that don't mean i have to play by your rules... : )

what does jailbreaking a ipod touch get you?
flash on websites??

cresshead
01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
looks like the new SDK for ipad hints at a camera...ipad 2.0?

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/28/100113-ipad_simulator_take_photo.jpg

ipad warts for sd card and usb plus a vga connector [no audio]

http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/ipad-accessories.jpg

CGI Addict
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
i'd say this on the iPAD...the 'way you use it' is great...the lack of a proper operating system and associated apps is a deal breaker for many people here...the lack of a camera , flash capability and sd card slot is embarassing.

Apple will be offering a "Camera Accessory Kit" with separate adapters for USB and SD memory cards for $29

cresshead
01-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Apple will be offering a "Camera Accessory Kit" with separate adapters for USB and SD memory cards for $29

your seeing them in m post above...it's a sd card reader that sticks out on the side of the ipad... there is NO 'camera' in the kit just 2 "white plastic warts" that defile the look of the ipad and give you the choice of either usb or sd slot as a $30 hang off the side 'feature' for your friends to laugh at....

you still need to carry a camera around...then pull ut the SD card...then fumble in your rucksack for the right sd wart and stick that to the outside of the ipad...then push in your sd card.... should only take what around 15 mins to set up.:twak:

CGI Addict
01-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Cresshead, You can bet that the issue of the camera will be resolved in the next model release along with some issues others have brought up. As weird as this may sound, Jobs would be stupid to put everything into the first model.

cresshead
01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
in case you missed it!

this vid seems to cover most dissapointing releases!

CGI Addict
01-29-2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
in case you missed it!

this vid seems to cover most dissapointing releases!

You knew it was going to happen.

biliousfrog
01-29-2010, 09:47 AM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1135/17066123765289372510013.jpg

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Apple (and Google) don't like Flash - and both are pushing to replace it with the evolving HTML5 format. I think this is a good thing in the long term.
Maybe, but in they're selling their products _now_, not in the future.
And there really is no excuse either:
http://www.arm.com/news/26062.html

Cheers,
Mike

warmiak
01-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Maybe, but in they're selling their products _now_, not in the future.
And there really is no excuse either:
http://www.arm.com/news/26062.html

Cheers,
Mike

Well, their iPhone platform never supported Flash and look what happened ....

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
There's a reason tablet computing hasn't taken off - despite Microsoft pimping it heavily since 2001. Desktop OS User Interfaces are designed for Mouse controls (or graphics tablets). MS don't seem to be able to grasp this, which is why Windows Mobile sucks so horribly compared to the iPhone UI.
Oh, very true. Then again, Windows Mobile was designed for a pen (it still sucks though).
On the other hand, MS has a mainstream desktop OS that supports multi-touch now, coupled with both mobile and stationary hardware.

I don't mind the iPad not being a proper computer though. My gripe is mainly that it doesn't seem to do a single thing it's apparently designed for (photos, surfing, video, small scale - occasional - "office" work) well - it has critical shortcomings in all of these areas.
(no SD/USB, no webcam/flash, no 16:9 and HDMI, no printing)
Based on the people that I know that aren't waht I'd call computer savvy, at least 2-3 of those points make it a no show.
Which, again, leaves the infrastructure (the shops) as a selling point - and those are grand.

*shrugs*

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Yup, everybody is switching to HTML5 now ;)

Cheers,
Mike

warmiak
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Yup, everybody is switching to HTML5 now ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Doesn't matter to Apple... what matters is that they sold crapload of them.

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Doesn't matter to Apple... what matters is that they sold crapload of them.
Oh, absolutely.

Cheers,
Mike

calilifestyle
01-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Ipad name already trademarked

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/companies/29name.html

Sekhar
01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Ipad name already trademarked

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/companies/29name.html

Probably a good thing. Will give Apple a great excuse to fix the name.

Mike_RB
01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
What's to fix. Notepad. Wordpad. Thinkpad. It's probably better some people have a juvenile reaction to it. Remember the wii.

cresshead
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM

you don't need FLASH to make a phone call...

correct me if i'm wrong but the iphone was sold as a pocket phone device not as... and i QUOTE

iPad lets you see web pages as they were meant to be seen — one page at a time.

no flash> that's 9 out of 10 mainstream websites not displaying their full content then...Steve Jobs demo even hilighted that when he browsed the newyork times site and he was met with blank areas of the page cos the ipad coudl not SEE/DISPLAY the flash content.

the ipad does not support 720p or 1080p, it's display is the wrong aspect ratio for films as well as too small resolution 1048x768 [old 15" crt size from the 90's]

for books...ie ibook great idea but usless outdoors as you won't be able to read it in the day outside or traveling on a train/bus/car with the reflections off the glosyy glass display...FAIL.

compare it to a ipod touch...small...made for music really and lo res video.
the ipod touch 'works'

CGI Addict
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Probably a good thing. Will give Apple a great excuse to fix the name.

That's for sure.

cresshead
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
alternatives on the horizon [a few months away>>summer 2010]

here's a pre release w.i.p. from MSI
http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/94697/msi-ready-launch-ipad-alternative

http://s1.b3ta.com/host/creative/1279/1264637379/blutack.jpg

cresshead
01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
ipad emulation...looking at typical websites i visit weekly...

this is what you get when you don't have flash...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81603&d=1264803929

Mike_RB
01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Cress. I don't get the hate. What's up, did apple insult your mother? Just don't buy one. Vote with your wallet

cresshead
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Cress. I don't get the hate. What's up, did apple insult your mother? Just don't buy one. Vote with your wallet

i'm just really dissapointed....so much of this product is really cool but some of the things they left out are just bizarre.

as for just don;t buy it...well that's not my issue..i'm concerend with those that do and fail to see most of the internet displayed properly including my website.

i think flash is a great tool...so it NOT being seen on such a device is just really annoying.

shrox
01-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess it could replace clipboards. UPS and FedEx drivers would probably love them if they will survive being dropped!

Mike_RB
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
i'm just really dissapointed....so much of this product is really cool but some of the things they left out are just bizarre.

as for just don;t buy it...well that's not my issue..i'm concerend with those that do and fail to see most of the internet displayed properly including my website.

i think flash is a great tool...so it NOT being seen on such a device is just really annoying.

If they become popular enough maybe using flash won't be that good oF an idea. Mobile sites already avoid it.

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I guess it could replace clipboards. UPS and FedEx drivers would probably love them if they will survive being dropped!
Well, since they've had digital replacements for clipboards in place for years now (at least over here)... why change a working system?
Plus, if customers had to sign the digital receipt with their fingers as opposed to a stylus... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cresshead
01-29-2010, 05:28 PM
If they become popular enough maybe using flash won't be that good oF an idea. Mobile sites already avoid it.

yeah let's all go back to animated gif's:screwy:
and not watch videos anymore or watch/play flash based videos or flash based games...:foreheads

this control freak attitude from apple to only use QUICKTIME [apple product] for videos and only have [iphone app based games] a walled in online 'apple internet' is horrible...

they are not thinking of the 'user'..they want to be the MCP!
it's like AOL's version of the net waay back in the late 90's..controling what you can see/do

is that steve jobs?
http://images.wikia.com/tron/images/1/10/Mcp.PNG

Mike_RB
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Think of it more like a game console. Is Sony dirtbags for not making the ps3 totally open?

Lightwolf
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Think of it more like a game console.
Well, apparently Apple doesn't though ;) And it is specifically sold as a web browsing device. Heck, it's the first thing on the features page...

Cheers,
Mike

Intuition
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Think of it more like a game console. Is Sony dirtbags for not making the ps3 totally open?

I'm still pissed I can't play VHS on my ps3....

...STILL!

;D

the iPad may turn out to be neat but they have to release it not fully functional so that when they add features that we are used to having one by one over the next few years it will rake the extra cash for adding usb and flash capability. Like the iPod and iPhone before it. Add features that are already available but in 2.0, 3.0 versions.

cresshead
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, apparently Apple doesn't though ;) And it is specifically sold as a web browsing device. Heck, it's the first thing on the features page...

Cheers,
Mike

:agree:

on the whole i really like the way it works...looks very slick to use but as a v1.0 it's a fail in many areas...too many for me and especially as the main thing touted is web browsing that the ipad cannot see a typical websites content as intended.:screwy:

ibooks meh...usless outside in the sun or traveling in daylight on train/bus car as a passenger.

video...as long as i can load what i want to on the internal/sd card that will be okay.

apps> so far it's early days, i sure do not want to run double pixel iphone apps..if big hitters get on board it may be of use.

typing on the ipad seems to be abit weird..you have to sit in a certain way just so you can tap on the screen okay...not gonna do that for hours on end.

photo frames?...:dance: stupid idea!:stumped:

presentsations?...only if you lug the istand along in a rucksack.

bottm line for me is that it appears to have a fantastic user experience in working with it in your hands but is intended to only be used indoors where sunlight isn't bouncing thru the rooms, maybe in an office or home..

it's web browsing seems restrictive to a similar degree to the iphone but you can't call it pocket size so forgive it's capabilities..it's competing with netboks that CAN see websites rendered fully...

i'm no sure who buy it and when they'd be able to use it...and for what reasons over an iphone or a netbook or their office pc.

jin choung
01-29-2010, 06:50 PM
arguably, what made the app store what it is today is games... and what amounts to toys.

i wouldn't play down the games angle.

ipod touch was sold initially as a music player. but then it became a "cool computer in your pocket" and then it became the game machine with commercials that boasted that capability.

imo, the raison de tre (whatever) is as an app store device.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually, this thread reminds me of the avatar thread pre release.

despite all reasons to knock it, does anyone here really doubt that this thing isn't going to do gangbuster business?

and i certainly don't doubt that this will have an impact on the web - that like mobile versions of sites, there will be ipad friendly versions as well.

make no mistake - despite the naysayers (and just look on the web, there are plenty) - this is going to do monster business and you'll find many of the naysayers in line.

i'll probably wait until the second version though... no early adopter i.

jin

cresshead
01-29-2010, 06:59 PM
if adobe can make a fix for flash on the ipad that would be a real help in those who want to use it for browsing without getting a nervous tick at websites that use flash for banners, ads and general graphic displays...same with videos wrapped in flash.

jin choung
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
i'm pretty sure it doesn't involve a fix.

apple just doesn't want it because they can't control it. and flash implies flash apps in websites and apple DEFINITELY doesn't want that.

but adobe is doing an end run - next version of flash will be able to compile directly into an iphone app! completely. you can submit it to the app store without any further work.

jin

cresshead
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
i'm pretty sure it doesn't involve a fix.

apple just doesn't want it because they can't control it. and flash implies flash apps in websites and apple DEFINITELY doesn't want that.

but adobe is doing an end run - next version of flash will be able to compile directly into an iphone app! completely. you can submit it to the app store without any further work.

jin

submitting a iphone friendly former flash app may help mirror the games on facebook.

But it will do nothing for mainsteam websites using flash or silverlight for animated content such as you see on the main page on newtek's site or autodesk ..that will still render looking like your webpage has been broken into and the local thieves have made off with content to flog on ebay:bangwall:

then we have the myriad of videos in flash or silverlite wrappers....

if you have an apple tv you already know that you only get a sample of what's on youtube available to see..they are ususally a few days behind the rest of the planet watchin stuff an some stuff never makes it onto the apple tv version which is the quicktime wrapper. [apple]

but as you alreay know there are loads of video's on either dedicated video sites similar to youtube or just vids wrapped in flash all over the place..flash is everywhere from catroons, banners, adverts, charts, games etc....banning that because you want to funnel people only to itunes or the app store is gonna be a hard sell of an full size device that is competing with netbooks and other 'pads' which have no issues at all.:tsktsk:

also re the apps store...that takes aroudn 6 weeks to get approval...same is when you may need a fix or update to an already published app...another 6 weeks waiting....crazy!

jin choung
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
....is gonna be a hard sell of an full size device that is competing with netbooks and other 'pads' which have no issues at all.:tsktsk:

yeah... i don't get the impression that apple cares if something is a hard sell... for them it is and has always been "our way or the highway".

jin

Mike_RB
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
hard sell of an full size device that is competing with netbooks and other 'pads' which have no issues at all.:tsktsk:

let me get this straight. You wish it had flash. And you think it will effect sales. Got it. But it will still do well and set a new standard for light home computing.

cresshead
01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
let me get this straight. You wish it had flash. And you think it will effect sales. Got it. But it will still do well and set a new standard for light home computing.

yeh...that's about it:thumbsup:

ipad will set a all new lowest common denominator of 'apple net' which is a contrived subset of the internet. basically the internet-minus flash-minus silverlight-minus java-minus fun-minus freedom to choose:devil:

ti'll be fine for basic google searches and looking at wikki pages and as long as you don't mind missing content from proper full on websites then i'm sure you'll fill in those gaps when you get home or powerr up your netbook to actually see what IS on the net.

it'll do okay sales wise as the u.i is so darn sexy

jin choung
01-29-2010, 11:49 PM
ti'll be fine for basic google searches and looking at wikki pages and as long as you don't mind missing content from proper full on websites then i'm sure you'll fill in those gaps when you get home or powerr up your netbook to actually see what IS on the net.

hahaha... you're b1tching that apple limits your freedom?

might as well b1tch that the sky is blue.

it is what they DO! the little dictator is indeed a dictator.

and just as i called it that avatar was not gonna be a great movie imo but it will do monster business - i call the shot again.

the tablet will do far far far better than "ok".

jin

warmiak
01-29-2010, 11:55 PM
hahaha... you're b1tching that apple limits your freedom?

might as well b1tch that the sky is blue.

it is what they DO! the little dictator is indeed a dictator.

and just as i called it that avatar was not gonna be a great movie imo but it will do monster business - i call the shot again.

the tablet will do far far far better than "ok".

jin

Well sure .....even jin is going to get one .. eventually ,and he thinks Jobs makes Bill Gates look like an open source advocate.

So yeah, there will be plenty of people who will go for it .

digefxgrp
01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I’m actually pumped about the iPad in terms of using it as a sales tool. I don’t know how many times I’ve been out and about and have run into people that are potential clients. To have a portable device like this in hand, that can display both video (and stills) of my work at a resolution that’s actually decent...is great. Sure beats just handing out a business card.

Also having it loaded up with all my pdf software manuals and scanned CG eBooks to be able to read in a restaurant or hotel room makes this device a no-brainer. It’ll be great having one with me this year at NAB, Siggraph, even taking it along to the Portland Trailblazer games and it's a h*ll of a lot easier toting an iPod around than a f’in laptop or netbook.

I wish they were available NOW.

warmiak
01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I’m actually pumped about the iPad in terms of using it as a sales tool. I don’t know how many times I’ve been out and about and have run into people that are potential clients. To have a portable device like this in hand, that can display both video (and stills) of my work at a resolution that’s actually decent...is great. Sure beats just handing out a business card.

Also having it loaded up with all my pdf software manuals and scanned CG eBooks to be able to read in a restaurant or hotel room makes this device a no-brainer. It’ll be great having one with me this year at NAB, Siggraph, even taking it along to the Portland Trailblazer games and it's a h*ll of a lot easier toting an iPod around than a f’in laptop or netbook.

It all depends how far Apple will let you go ... I mean, you can't even deploy your own code on your iPhone unless you have Apple's blessing so .... yeah, you will get to do that as long as Apple deems your device usage patterns "appropriate".

cresshead
01-30-2010, 03:45 AM
of course the ipad is a device to funnel your credit card towards itunes, the app store and ibook store.

if i ever get past the dissapointment that it's not a computer at all and is really simply a ipod sat in a growbag for a month i might warm to it abit more...currently i'm waay off of that...the thing that could change that would be what apps turn up for it...

games ?totally not interested
apps?....could make it worth while...could turn me around!

crippled internet?...i'd have to swallow it as "just deal with it"..just use it where it works and fill in the gaps where it doesn't work later on a real computer...their marketing of that aspect really set my teeth on edge and was just too much B.S. for me to swallow.

books?...doubtful as you can't read outside in the sun/daylight
pdf reader/display...yeah...coud be okay.
the iworks apps?...not really...only one that may be okay would be pages if it has a template for scripts.

as stated before i was hopeful for a 'solution'...the u.i. does that for sure...
for me all depends on the apps that arrive for it.

cresshead
01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
got a question for ipod/iphone users...

do google apps work okay on the iphone/ipod touch?

Kuzey
01-30-2010, 04:17 AM
got a question for ipod/iphone users...

do google apps work okay on the iphone/ipod touch?

Google has an app for the iPhone/iPod touch but it's just a collection of shortcuts that load in Safari. I played with it for 10 seconds before deleting it.

Kuzey

achrystie
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll add a bit to the Flash conspiracy theories.

I think the iPad is cute, I'll probably wait until v2 or v3 to get one, if I get one, unless I find a compelling reason to develop for it. That said, the product is not the holy grail of portable computing because, well, the technology doesn't exist for that yet.

There are two "key" things that prohibit the holy grail of mobile connectivity and computing:
A moderate size and lightweight device that has full unlimited internet access everywhere and at least one full day of run time on a single charge.

1) Bandwidth is not really there yet technologically. 3G, 4G, doesn't matter, simply put, any of the systems right now cannot support a "mass influx" of heavy users, Flash being a key component of becoming a "heavy user". You can get a 3G connection for 50 to 60 bucks per month on tons of devices, but it is bandwidth limited to 5GB. This is, in my mind, to be expected, because it's obvious at this point from all the buzz around the internet, and even just looking at coverage maps, that there isn't a single carrier, even Verizon, that could handle the bandwidth if that service was cheaper and unlimited. This "may" factor into the adoption of Flash on a device that will potentially have such broad appeal. (Combined with the proprietary nature and its competition with the Apple store).

2) Battery technology is pretty close to capped out, and has been for quite some time. People quote lithium ion as such an advance, but it's been around for many, many years, the only real advances have been lower cost to manufacture and thus lower pricing. From an engineering standpoint, it's really come to finessing every last electron through efficiency, which inevitably leads to performance compromises. This is further compounded by the fact that more wifi bandwidth=more power use.

So...in summary, the "real" device that people want, is on the horizon, but it will be quite a bit of time, basically when there is a wifi hotspot every 100 feet from multiple companies, and when we finally get a new power source, such as possibly portable fuel cells, at low manufacturing cost. Everything else, iPad, iPhone, netbooks, are all a stop gap of compromises until that becomes reality.

robertoortiz
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Well sure .....even jin is going to get one .. eventually ,and he thinks Jobs makes Bill Gates look like an open source advocate.

To be fair to microsfot , the Windows devices tend to be quite open.
For me a web device that does not supporting flash, and claims to be the "ultimate web browser" is ironic.

They might as well might a well stop supporting .jpgs because they dont like the name of the format.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2010, 10:48 AM
...... no headphone jacks kind of sucks for music .....
False:

Input and output

* Dock connector
* 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
* Built-in speaker
* Microphone
* SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Lightwolf
01-30-2010, 11:03 AM
False:

And corrected further down the thread, you're late ;)

Cheers,
Mike

dsol
01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I certainly think the iPad could support Flash if Apple wanted it to. So could the iPhone 3GS. It's not a hardware limitation. It might not run perfectly smoothly, it might make your browser crash a lot more than usual and it will kill your battery life. But it would work.

The reasons they don't support it are entirely political.

1. The fallout they'd get from less technically savvy users from all the above mentioned problems (crashing, low battery life, jerky animation). it would reflect badly on Apple and many (again - less technical) users would blame Apple's web browser for this. Apple really cares about its reputation. Slick, fast, reliable and easy to use is their mantra.

2. Apple wants Flash to die and by all accounts, by blocking it from their exceptionally popular mobile products they're doing a good job of encouraging the web to move away from Flash. Google's already got a working and publicly available version of YourTube which only uses HTML5 and no flash. Flash Games will be here for a while, but to be honest native games on the iPhone & iPad are so superior to their Flash in-browser counterparts as to make this a non-issue. The app store is so ridiculously cheap for buying software and there's tons of free games out there if you don't want to pay 1$. Finding, downloading and installing an app on an Iphone OS device is so easy it compares favourably with the time it would take launching a flash browser game on a desktop computer.

Personally, I'd prefer limited optional Flash support on the iPad. Something like ClickToFlash for Safari (where flash content only loads if you click on it) would be perfect for me. That way you get the best of both worlds. But I can understand why Apple don't want to throw Adobe a bone here ;)

jeric_synergy
01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Yup, but Niiiiiiiiice zero power use to display it. :)

In other words, "Sure, it's aggravating, but it's aggravating for HOURS!"

jeric_synergy
01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Cresshead, You can bet that the issue of the camera will be resolved in the next model release along with some issues others have brought up. As weird as this may sound, Jobs would be stupid to put everything into the first model.
I'll be interested to see how they implement the camera. That thing is bigger than a Speed Graphix newspaper camera of the 1930's.

IOW, the iPad's form makes a simple, embedded camera a very awkward idea.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been waiting to get some sort of reader for PDFs just so I can use all my computer screen real estate AND read the manuals at the same time. (this would be more compelling if most dox weren't crap, but that's another issue.) The iPad looks great for that, if I were made of money.

I think the posters here neglect to realize that they aren't exactly mass consumers, and their desires for a dynabook like device are quite a bit different from the masses. The masses that Apple will be separating from quite a bit of money.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
And corrected further down the thread, you're late ;)

Cheers,
Mike
It was so egregious an error I felt compelled to point it out again.

dsol
01-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I'll be interested to see how they implement the camera. That thing is bigger than a Speed Graphix newspaper camera of the 1930's.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a great form factor for taking snaps. But it would have made a seriously awesome Augmented Reality device. Definitely a missed opportunity there, which I expect will be fixed in the next version.

A camera on the front for Video Conferencing - maybe not so useful. If you hold it in your hands, all you'd get is very unflattering low shots looking up at your chin (like a child's eye view!)

realgray
01-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I really liked this post on using the Ipad as a cheap gestural interface for color correction.

http://prolost.com/

Kuzey
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Actually...I believe Apple patented an idea to have the camera embedded beneath the glass...a year or two ago. Effectively, the whole screen could be a camera or one small section of it and you'll most likely won't know it's there.

That would be interesting to have :D

But a webcam like camera would work on the front (a few millimeters wide)...that's all one ends really. Maybe a normal camera on the back like the iPhone etc....but that could be messy.

Kuzey

robertoortiz
01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I think the posters here neglect to realize that they aren't exactly mass consumers, and their desires for a dynabook like device are quite a bit different from the masses. The masses that Apple will be separating from quite a bit of money.
AKA the "koolaid drinkers"

I....

2. Apple wants Flash to die and by all accounts, by blocking it from their exceptionally popular mobile products they're doing a good job of encouraging the web to move away from Flash. Google's already got a working and publicly available version of YourTube which only uses HTML5 and no flash. Flash Games will be here for a while, but to be honest native games on the iPhone & iPad are so superior to their Flash in-browser counterparts as to make this a non-issue. The app store is so ridiculously cheap for buying software and there's tons of free games out there if you don't want to pay 1$. Finding, downloading and installing an app on an Iphone OS device is so easy it compares favourably with the time it would take launching a flash browser game on a desktop computer.

The thing is that Apple seems not to care that Flash development and implementation is frankly a snap.
And of course they could care less.
They want to push down our throats they versions of proprietary standards that only them can use (Look at what happened with their closed music standard, that ONLY works on their devices/apps)

yeah let's all go back to animated gif's:screwy:
and not watch videos anymore or watch/play flash based videos or flash based games...:foreheads

this control freak attitude from apple to only use QUICKTIME [apple product] for videos and only have [iphone app based games] a walled in online 'apple internet' is horrible...

they are not thinking of the 'user'..they want to be the MCP!
it's like AOL's version of the net waay back in the late 90's..controling what you can see/do

is that steve jobs?
http://images.wikia.com/tron/images/1/10/Mcp.PNG

Quoted for agreement

Kuzey
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
They want to push down our throats they versions of proprietary standards that only them can use (Look at what happened with their closed music standard, that ONLY works on their devices/apps)

What about all the media players out there, each one with their own unique format that no one else can use??

Kuzey

CGI Addict
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM

There you go. Someone finally says something everybody else might find useful. Come folks, stop the whining and figure out how it might benefit you. If it can't then just give a rest.

Kuzey
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Just saw this iPhone OS 3.2 (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/confirmed-iphone-os-3-2-has-support-for-video-calling-file-dow/).....interesting, video conferencing...file downloading. Looks like they are getting the OS ready for iPad v2 and the next iPhones :hey:

Kuzey

shrox
01-30-2010, 01:56 PM
There you go. Someone finally says something everybody else might find useful...

That's why I said it could replace clipboards.

CGI Addict
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Like I said, find something useful. For Shrox it's clipboards.

shrox
01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Like I said, find something useful. For Shrox it's clipboards.

Inventory control, emissions check at DMV, waitresses' order pad, cops, public utilities, cable guy, dry cleaning front counter, etc...

CGI Addict
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
LOL! How many side jobs do you have?

shrox
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL! How many side jobs do you have?

Pizza delivery.

Lightwolf
01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
In other words, "Sure, it's aggravating, but it's aggravating for HOURS!"
No, only in-between, when you're switching pages. Which is usually a fraction of the time if you're actually reading what's on the pages.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
What about all the media players out there, each one with their own unique format that no one else can use??
Can you name one? The only thing usually missing is OGG support as well as AAF with DRM as well as WMA with DRM. Out of those three AAF with DRM is never present outside of the Apple world, the other ones can be supported in some devices (WMA with DRM seems to have better support than OGG at the moment). That's when it comes to audio.
Then have a look at some of the cheap media players for video support, as long as there's no DRM they pretty much support everything.

Cheers,
Mike

Gui Lo
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

It says you need a computer, but I don't see how you can't set it up on your computer first before handing it over.

Kuzey

Thanks Kuzey. Yes I saw that and was a bit disappointed. Your suggestion is a good one, but if it were stand alone than it would be a lot easier.

My daughters grandparents are halfway around the world and I would love to get them this.

Gui Lo
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
I'll add a bit to the Flash conspiracy theories.

I think the iPad is cute, I'll probably wait until v2 or v3 to get one, if I get one, unless I find a compelling reason to develop for it. That said, the product is not the holy grail of portable computing because, well, the technology doesn't exist for that yet.

There are two "key" things that prohibit the holy grail of mobile connectivity and computing:
A moderate size and lightweight device that has full unlimited internet access everywhere and at least one full day of run time on a single charge.

1) Bandwidth is not really there yet technologically. 3G, 4G, doesn't matter, simply put, any of the systems right now cannot support a "mass influx" of heavy users, Flash being a key component of becoming a "heavy user". You can get a 3G connection for 50 to 60 bucks per month on tons of devices, but it is bandwidth limited to 5GB. This is, in my mind, to be expected, because it's obvious at this point from all the buzz around the internet, and even just looking at coverage maps, that there isn't a single carrier, even Verizon, that could handle the bandwidth if that service was cheaper and unlimited. This "may" factor into the adoption of Flash on a device that will potentially have such broad appeal. (Combined with the proprietary nature and its competition with the Apple store).

2) Battery technology is pretty close to capped out, and has been for quite some time. People quote lithium ion as such an advance, but it's been around for many, many years, the only real advances have been lower cost to manufacture and thus lower pricing. From an engineering standpoint, it's really come to finessing every last electron through efficiency, which inevitably leads to performance compromises. This is further compounded by the fact that more wifi bandwidth=more power use.

So...in summary, the "real" device that people want, is on the horizon, but it will be quite a bit of time, basically when there is a wifi hotspot every 100 feet from multiple companies, and when we finally get a new power source, such as possibly portable fuel cells, at low manufacturing cost. Everything else, iPad, iPhone, netbooks, are all a stop gap of compromises until that becomes reality.

I'm lucky in that the iPad is my Holy Grail mobile device.

I don't miss flash on the iPhone and I think it will be the same on the iPad.

I do have broadband available anywhere I'll be using the iPad; Bus, train, taxi, etc.

If Apple's battery claim is as good as usual then we can see about 8.5 - 11 hrs which will be plenty of battery for my family.

I will wait until after Christmas to but my iPad.

Cheers

kiffer
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I must say, those drawing apps will be more useful now on the larger screen. I think it might also affect the sales of graphic tablets in the long run.

Kuzey

As the iPad lacks pressure sensitivity, it's not gonna take a bite from Wacom pie...

shrox
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
...I will wait until after Christmas to but my iPad.

Cheers

When was Christmas for you? It's almost February now...

Titus
01-30-2010, 10:32 PM
It seems the A4 it's an ARM chip:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/1/27/apple-a4-soc-unveiled---its-an-arm-cpu-and-the-gpu!.aspx

"A4 is a System-on-a-Chip, or SOC, that integrates the main processor [ARM Cortex-A9, identical to ones used in nVidia Tegra and Qualcomm Snapdragon] with graphics silicon [ARM Mali GPU], and other functions like the memory controller on one piece of silicon - not unlike what Intel is trying to achieve with its future "Moorestown" Atom processor that debuted inside LG's Smartphone. http://scoop.intel.com/2010/01/intel-moorestown-smartphones-at-ces.php

The A stands obviously for Apple, and the difference between the Samsung processor inside the iPhone 3Gs and A4 is the clockspeed and the core type. A4 runs at 1GHz while the chip on iPhone 3Gs works clocked to 0,6GHz. This is one of main reasons why iPad can deliver a lively interface compared to stale iPhone one."

achrystie
01-31-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm lucky in that the iPad is my Holy Grail mobile device.

I don't miss flash on the iPhone and I think it will be the same on the iPad.

I do have broadband available anywhere I'll be using the iPad; Bus, train, taxi, etc.

If Apple's battery claim is as good as usual then we can see about 8.5 - 11 hrs which will be plenty of battery for my family.

I will wait until after Christmas to but my iPad.

Cheers

Sounds nice, you're in Hong Kong? How much does the service cost, is it free?
Yeah, my statement mostly applies to the US. I've found that despite our supposed "superior capitalist free market", the US is well behind many other places when it comes to broadband internet, both wired and wireless.
Too much bureaucracy to get it done properly. Companies installing wires and towers have to go through multiple government systems, right down to the "town/city" level to provide service, at very large investment cost, and this is a case where competition is a hindrance, as each company would theoretically need its own line/tower system combined with leasing from each other and the governments themselves to provide service.

So, no holy grail here.
Plus, by not wanting flash video and games, you are in a minority of people it seems. :D I could actually live without that myself, but I think most people want a portable TV with internet.
My stance on battery life stays the same, if you don't feel it now, you will later on when you want things to be faster and/or the battery starts to die out and it's expensive to replace/better to buy a new one. 1000 charge cycles is only 3 years if you use it every day, and I'd generally say that 1000 cycles is an optimistic number.

Edit:
Also, I'll still bet that if there was "wide adoption" of a device that does allow high bandwidth stuff like flash, the holy grail wouldn't be so blessed, even where you are, but I could be wrong, what type of system where you are? I think even in places with a wide area of cell/wifi, the system would be brought to a crawl or standstill if 80% of people had one. Which brings back the point, if the iPad/iphone had cheap wireless access, and flash, 80% of americans "could" afford it, and the systems would not be in place to support it, even with adoption of current technologies on a broader scale, as those techs are still insufficient.

Kuzey
01-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Can you name one? The only thing usually missing is OGG support as well as AAF with DRM as well as WMA with DRM. Out of those three AAF with DRM is never present outside of the Apple world, the other ones can be supported in some devices (WMA with DRM seems to have better support than OGG at the moment). That's when it comes to audio.
Then have a look at some of the cheap media players for video support, as long as there's no DRM they pretty much support everything.

Cheers,
Mike

Divx....Media Player Classic....VLC....the MS one (which I forgot the name of) and Quicktime...to name five. Each has it's own format that the others can't open.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
As the iPad lacks pressure sensitivity, it's not gonna take a bite from Wacom pie...

I thought someone said there was...but still, if I can control Photoshop on an Ipad that would be great. I wouldn't mind if there was an alternative way to set the pressure you want to use via a slider control or something.

Kuzey

Lightwolf
01-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Divx....Media Player Classic....VLC....the MS one (which I forgot the name of) and Quicktime...to name five. Each has it's own format that the others can't open.
Oh, I thought you were referencing hardware devices (as the initial post you replied to did - at least the way I understood it).
On an OS level it's obviously different, but that's because there's more to do than just play back the media. And when it comes to playing back all that's usually needed is a dose of ffmpeg (in whatever way it is available for an OS).

Cheers,
Mike

shrox
01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
I thought someone said there was...but still, if I can control Photoshop on an Ipad that would be great. I wouldn't mind if there was an alternative way to set the pressure you want to use via a slider control or something.

Kuzey

I read it had 1024 levels of sensitivity or something like that, but now all I find is no touch sensitivity. Maybe it was pre release rumor.

Gui Lo
01-31-2010, 09:09 AM
When was Christmas for you? It's almost February now...

err... it wasn't available for 2009 so this coming Christmas (2010).

shrox
01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
err... it wasn't available for 2009 so this coming Christmas (2010).

Better, then you'll get V. 2 hopefully.

Gui Lo
01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds nice, you're in Hong Kong? How much does the service cost, is it free?
Yeah, my statement mostly applies to the US. I've found that despite our supposed "superior capitalist free market", the US is well behind many other places when it comes to broadband internet, both wired and wireless.
Too much bureaucracy to get it done properly. Companies installing wires and towers have to go through multiple government systems, right down to the "town/city" level to provide service, at very large investment cost, and this is a case where competition is a hindrance, as each company would theoretically need its own line/tower system combined with leasing from each other and the governments themselves to provide service.

So, no holy grail here.
Plus, by not wanting flash video and games, you are in a minority of people it seems. :D I could actually live without that myself, but I think most people want a portable TV with internet.
My stance on battery life stays the same, if you don't feel it now, you will later on when you want things to be faster and/or the battery starts to die out and it's expensive to replace/better to buy a new one. 1000 charge cycles is only 3 years if you use it every day, and I'd generally say that 1000 cycles is an optimistic number.

Edit:
Also, I'll still bet that if there was "wide adoption" of a device that does allow high bandwidth stuff like flash, the holy grail wouldn't be so blessed, even where you are, but I could be wrong, what type of system where you are? I think even in places with a wide area of cell/wifi, the system would be brought to a crawl or standstill if 80% of people had one. Which brings back the point, if the iPad/iphone had cheap wireless access, and flash, 80% of americans "could" afford it, and the systems would not be in place to support it, even with adoption of current technologies on a broader scale, as those techs are still insufficient.

Yes, Hong Kong.
For about US$7 I can get unlimited data and coverage in just about anywhere I want to go with internet.
You've made me feel more confident about the battery. I will not be using the iPad for 8-10 hrs everyday. Maybe the family will use it for 3-5hrs of constant use each day. That means that a full charge will last a minimum of 2 days if we are just watching video. In Hong Kong there is no video in the iTunes store. So we may play games or surf the web. In this case we may get 3-4 days worth out of a single charge. This means that we can look at over 5 years of battery life. 5 years is our minimum lifespan for any tech we have.

cresshead
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
okay, trying to look on the positive side of things or really the balanced view of things.
Once we accept it's a large ipod touch and not a general computing device we'll get along much better.

we also have to accept that the ipad is built around funneling users toward the itunes store, the app store and the ibook store that's why it's not an 'open' device.

the thing the ipad is great at is the general i.u. and interaction when using it...it looks sleek for sure and will be a magnet to people around it...though i doubt you'll take it eveywhere with you and here's why.

1.glossy screen >> so mostly using it indoors out of direct sunlight which will preclude it from being in direct [sunlight] competition with the kindle/nook etc so it you happen to be a creature of the night then for reading books it'll be a brilliant device to use, just remember to avoid dawn!
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81652&d=1264975207

one of the biggest issues for ipad users will be the glossy screen so i expect 3rd party vendors to try and come up with some creative solutions for using the ipad outside...though it being a touch screen is gonna make it difficult i guess.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/547c875588.jpg

http://thesmarterwallet.com/images/amazon-kindle-3.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/156440090_ea8962f11b.jpg

so for books it's average...but unlike the kindle it's just one of the things the ipad can do...it's not purpose built for it and has some limitations of where you can use it but for casual indoor reading it'll be okay.

for the internet you have to think of it as a large smartphone so you not going to get all the net displayed..it'll do most pages okay but some of your stuff will fail to work if it's flash or silverlite based..so no free games...you'll need to head over to the app store for games.
for videos..you'll have youtube and itunes but other video sharing sites will be off limits and so will many news sites and review sites as they use flash for video....so limited internet coverage for video.

music...it's a very large music player!

apps
well early days we'll have to see what turns up..i hope we get some cool stuff like a kaossilator for the ipad, that would be lots of fun to use...maybe a mix of the kaossilator and the nintendo korg ds10 on the ipad...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81653&d=1264975804
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/korg-ds-10-music-synthesizer-screenshot-big.jpg

games?
well there's quite a few for the iphone and using the tilt and touch screen...though not sure how it'll translate to the larger form factor as the iphone size mean you can hold it and use both your thumbs with ease...we'll have to wait n see on that one.

photo frame?
it's a very expensive photoframe...but it's just one of the things the ipad can do so iy's nice to have.

films
mainly thru itunes...so what about your own videos... well if it's like the ipod then you can put podcasts on it etc so quite useful in that regard as long as the file format follows that any vids can go on as long as they are of a same file type/codec.

shrox
01-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Hulk hate glossy screen! Hulk smash!

JML
01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
They first made laptop screen mat so is doesn't reflect a lot, and now the screen are glossy, just to make them look nice.
I guess looking cool is better than working right..

a friend of mine have a dell with a glossy screen, and even indoor sometimes I can't see anything !
But my old asus laptop with mat screen, perfect !

cresshead
01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
steve jobs enjoying a read outside using the ipad! and the yet to be released iCover:lol:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81655&d=1264981659

jin choung
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
They first made laptop screen mat so is doesn't reflect a lot, and now the screen are glossy, just to make them look nice.

a friend of mine have a dell with a glossy screen, and even indoor sometimes I can't see anything !

thing is - the "make them look nice" isn't just about the cosmetics of the device.

the unfortunate thing is that you do indeed get higher/better contrast on glossy screens.

i hate hate hate that as well... that that has to be the trade off...

but it is what it is.

so for a monochrome kindle that's supposed to emulate the written page, that's just fine. but for a device that is supposed to do everything from games to movies to magazines, it's not acceptable.

still, they could let the consumer know that and give them an option but this is once again, completely against apple's modus operandii.

they are all about control so that it gives the best possible impression to the greatest percentage of consumers (*cough*nomultitasking*cough*becauseitcanmakethede vicelookslow*cough*eventhoughicandoit*cough*onmyja ilbrokenipodtouch*cough*).

jin

calilifestyle
01-31-2010, 11:20 PM
anyone see this from CES. the iphone hat. we can just see the next version of the ipad hat.

https://www.asseenontvhat.com/flare/next

Kuzey
02-01-2010, 05:59 AM
I read it had 1024 levels of sensitivity or something like that, but now all I find is no touch sensitivity. Maybe it was pre release rumor.

Yeah..that's the one. Still, they could do it with a slider like they do in the painting apps for iPhone/iPod touch.

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-01-2010, 06:07 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/156440090_ea8962f11b.jpg

Funny how the angle of the shot is different from the angle one would have working on the MacBook. Yes, it might be bad for someone trying to view the screen from that angle...but it should be mostly fine when one is directly in front of the screen...mostly :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Btw...it looks like Adobe v Apple is heating up (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/flashpoint-as-jobs-takes-aim-at-adobe-20100201-n86t.html).

Haha...good times, rock on!

Kuzey

JML
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Funny how the angle of the shot is different from the angle one would have working on the MacBook. Yes, it might be bad for someone trying to view the screen from that angle...but it should be mostly fine when one is directly in front of the screen...mostly :D

Kuzey

post 218 shows a photo with a front view of the laptop and it's not better :)

Titus
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Glossy screen gives you considerably more contrast. I changed my glossy Sony laptop for a Toshiba Portege with LED screen, supposedly you can work outdoors but that was not true.

shrox
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd trade a bit less contrast to actually be able to see it in bright light...

JML
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
So glossy screen have better contrast.. on the stuff behind you seen in the reflection :)

I hate working on laptops and their screens..

wacom
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
The ipad just goes along with a long trend of moving computing from a creative and finical product to a passive consumer one.

I and others have been predicting that we'll all be running linux on special SGI like boxes again soon...while the rest of the "public" or "consumers" as they are now called use things like iPads to gorge themselves on youtubes and the like (uh when flash is "replaced" somehow). It's like interactive TV.

Too bad, there goes our decade of increasingly powerful and cheap hardware due to the masses! On the bright side maybe piracy would go down on "REAL" apps like LW etc.

One thing is for certain- this device is not for me. I get every little bit of consumption and computing I need out of my DS, ipod, and computer combos- and half the time I wonder if I even need the first two.

Lightwolf
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
The ipad just goes along with a long trend of moving computing from a creative and finical product to a passive consumer one.
In a way that's also what apps used to access websites do.

Cheers,
Mike

wacom
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
In a way that's also what apps used to access websites do.

Cheers,
Mike

Well, I see it as degrees, and the web is so diverse right now. I think that forums, while not the height of creativity and innovation for users, are still a lot more "productive" and less passive than some of the "apps" on my ipod are that use the web.

Everyone wants control of this network so they can fully bring on the era of totally passive web TV and reign in the money like cable companies and the like have for decades.

Let us be honest- the average person and most of us are "retarded" when it comes to self control and choosing between being creative and/or making a difference via/through technology and just sitting back and enjoying the ride as the images, sounds, and bites roll past our reptilian brain parts and only occasionally tickle our frontal lobes (at best).

Kuzey
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
post 218 shows a photo with a front view of the laptop and it's not better :)

Haha.....well, the one on the left is in complete shadow, while the one on the right isn't, and it's angled as well....to receive more reflection...I presume :D

Kuzey

JML
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Haha.....well, the one on the left is in complete shadow, while the one on the right isn't, and it's angled as well....to receive more reflection...I presume :D

Kuzey

Well both of them sucks in luminosity,
I would get the Icover, cresshead can sell you one :)
(post 219)

Kuzey
02-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Well both of them sucks in luminosity,
I would get the Icover, cresshead can sell you one :)
(post 219)

Yeah...that icover did look cool...I must say :hey:

Kuzey

shrox
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Kuzey

Does it come in clear transparent?

Kuzey
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Does it come in clear transparent?

You could have green if you wish:

http://www.icover.com.au/

ps...and one that everyone should have:

http://www.icover.com.au/products/deluxhay_bags.html

:hey:

Kuzey

cresshead
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Kuzey

i'm taking pre release orders as of FEB 13TH
stocks are limited so be sure to place your order early to avoid dissapointment:thumbsup:

digefxgrp
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
stocks are limited so be sure to place your order early to avoid dissapointment :beta: I'd be interested in doing beta if you're looking for testers. Also are you planning on releasing an HDK?

Scazzino
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Can't wait to create content for the iPad... It should be a much better online video viewer than phones or computers... :D

jasonwestmas
02-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm just impressed because video game companies are actually supporting apple now, lol.

Now if the thing worked with a pen I would buy it, I can't draw and paint without one.

I've always been enchanted with apple's sense of simplicity.

Scazzino
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm just impressed because video game companies are actually supporting apple now, lol.

Now if the thing worked with a pen I would buy it, I can't draw and paint without one.

I've always been enchanted with apple's sense of simplicity.

I enjoy finger painting so it's perfect for me... JK ;)
I'd like it for media viewing, not creating... that I'll still do on the desktop of course... :)

jasonwestmas
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I enjoy finger painting so it's perfect for me... JK ;)
I'd like it for media viewing, not creating... that I'll still do on the desktop of course... :)

Yeah, unfortunately it's always 1 or 2 things that prevents me from using apple products. It's kinda obvious this device is more about the quick and casual, instant gratification stuff. I hope this pad thing turns into something more detailed and graphically involved. It's a shame I feel that way about it because the core idea behind it is pretty advanced and comfortable. That's fine if that's what someone needs but Apple once again wasn't thinking about people like myself.

jasonwestmas
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM

There's a place for a "Microphone" so I would only assume that means headset of some sort, or maybe in the near future.

Kuzey
02-03-2010, 05:18 AM
stocks are limited so be sure to place your order early to avoid dissapointment:thumbsup:

Will do....but does it come with that fine looking large format camera :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-03-2010, 05:23 AM
There's a place for a "Microphone" so I would only assume that means headset of some sort, or maybe in the near future.

There seems to be a place for a front camera (http://blog.missionrepair.com/2010/02/01/ipad-camera-rumor-becoming-a-reality-we-think-so/) already there...maybe iPadV2?

Kuzey

jasonwestmas
02-03-2010, 07:28 AM
There seems to be a place for a front camera (http://blog.missionrepair.com/2010/02/01/ipad-camera-rumor-becoming-a-reality-we-think-so/) already there...maybe iPadV2?

Kuzey

Yeah that would be nice. Hopefully this thing will be able to go beyond basic computing needs if desired.

Kuzey
02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
It's interesting stuff, it seems everybody wants make a tablet now...now, that the iPad was revealed.

Google tablet...maybe? (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/google-tablet-to-give-apple-a-touch-of-its-own-medicine-20100203-nc8u.html?autostart=0)

And it seems Microsoft is getting back in the game too...after their tablet failed so many years ago. Remember the detachable screen /laptop.

Fun times indeed :D

Kuzey

jasonwestmas
02-03-2010, 08:39 AM
It's interesting stuff, it seems everybody wants make a tablet now...now, that the iPad was revealed.

Google tablet...maybe? (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/google-tablet-to-give-apple-a-touch-of-its-own-medicine-20100203-nc8u.html?autostart=0)

And it seems Microsoft is getting back in the game too...after their tablet failed so many years ago. Remember the detachable screen /laptop.

Fun times indeed :D

Kuzey

Battle of the tablets, I love this, seriously, the more the better.

Come to think of it, what I am personally looking for is a typical laptop that isn't locked into a physical keyboard; Has touchscreen that uses a pen/stylus like the Nintendo DS. Is anyone making that?

Yeah, the more I think about it this ipad is not for me, sorry apple. I mean, I can turn my laptop into a better ipad if it had touchscreen. But again apple wasn't thinking about people like me, obviously.

jasonwestmas
02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Ah the Archos 9 runs windows7 (some starter version) and it can use a stylus of some sort.

Probably more up my alley.

cc3d
02-03-2010, 12:37 PM
oh...

and R.I.P. kindle. we hardly knew ye.

jin

No way this impacts the kindle. The Kindle is cheap by half! requires no subscription, has eInk, longer battery life and is easy to use for anybody.

I've already given two of them as gifts to people who wouldn't do anything else with the iPad.

Riff_Masteroff
02-03-2010, 01:21 PM
There is also an app (Iphone) for viewing Autodesk Revit models and such:

http://go-bim.iankeough.com/wordpress/