PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Point Knife Tool?

bcicio
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi guys... I have a winding saw-tooth pattern of 3-sided polys. (In essence, two parallel winding lines with saw-tooth arrangement of triangular polys between them.) I need to cut a third winding line through them by eye which does not have to be perfectly parallel. The result will be two rows of 4-sided polys. I need to do this so I can assign different surfaces.

Is there a knife tool or plug-in that will allow me to pick a series of points in setting up the cut line?

Thanks.

JeffrySG
01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Could you select the edges - then connect - then slide that edge (or points) to the place you want it?

slide
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=199465&postcount=65

JeffrySG
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
or you could use the 'add edges' to add it manually too.

bcicio
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I think my situation is a little more complicated than that. The blue line in the attached image is the type of cut I am looking to accomplish. I know the mesh is ugly. It's a TIN surface out of Civil3D from our engineers.

probiner
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Hmm....
-Draw a spline with the shape of the line you would like to cut with.
-Extrude it and position it to interstect the polygons.
-Put the cutting geometry in a background layer and run Solid Dril>Slice.
You will need to clean up now:
-Merge points
-Select in Statistics Panel (Points) only 2 Polygons points and delete them (watchout for the edge of the model, if you have anythings selected there it might mess with it)

Hope it helps, i bet archviz guys deal with this everyday and know an easier solutions =P

Cheers

bcicio
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks, probiner! Sounds like that would work. I'll give that a try.

hunter
01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I think the cut tool works like bandsaw but with 3 point polys doesn't it?

Edit: Just got to try it. Select the poly loop or row and hit Shift + U,mess with settings as desired, click Continue and you're done.

Kuzey
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
You could select all the edges you want to cut and then use the divide tool and then the split tool.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Here's a pic to show the process :)

Kuzey

bcicio
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
A little embarrassing that there are so many different ways to accomplish this and I couldn't figure it out. Thanks everyone.