PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Question to Stump the Chump

ZachSchuster
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
This semester my students want to produce a game show like Family Feud.

Our studio set has a flat screen monitor that we could use for the game board. Where we reveal survey results.

I'm game for this, but I'm not quite sure how to make it work with our TCB. I'm thinking I use the Preview Out for FX out, and the FX is essentially the TXT source. This would free the director up for still doing live switching of the contestants and host.

The TXT page would have several lines of text with proper responses, but they would have to be "covered up" until someone guesses them.

I'm still real new to the TC and Edit Text. I tried creating a page that had text fields, and then layered an image over the text to hide it. The idea is when someone guesses the answer, I replace the iage hiding the text with a transparent image, thereby miraculously revealing the text layered beneath it.

It looks good in the editor, but in the TXT edit window of Live Production and when I pull up the source, the text field is layered ABOVE the image.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong, or another way to go about this?

ZachSchuster
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
No thoughts on why layering isn't working properly on my titles?

SBowie
02-01-2010, 08:06 AM
There are some known bugs affecting layer order in exported title templates. There are some other long threads here discussing workarounds, but the simple fact is a bugfix is needed to address the matter properly. I do not know the status of a patch to address the problem at this time, sorry.

As a temporary workaround for your project, you might consider simply importing externally prepared slates into CG Designer [Edit: "CG Designer" is incorrect - should have written Edit Text, thanks Peter], and exporting those as templates.

Quiet1onTheSet
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
...As a temporary workaround for your project, you might consider simply importing externally prepared slates into CG Designer, and exporting those as templates.

Hi, Steve. If TriCaster BROADCAST™ does not indeed have a module called "CG Designer" (as does NewTek VT[5]), what then, were you referring to, within TriCaster? Just curious. Thanks

Q1

SBowie
02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
You're right, of course, Peter. Edit Text, CG Designer, CG Post, and LiveText are obviously very closely related. More often than not, what is true of one is true of the other, and when you work with all of them it can become a bit of a blur, sorry. However, one or another may be slightly ahead in the 'bugfix column' at a given time.

Tarheel Cougar
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
The easiest way to do something like this is to skip the Tricaster CG and build your game in Powerpoint, and bring it in to your Tricaster through IVGA or directly connect to your flat screens. That would also free up your Tricaster for overlays, etc. I've done this with Jeporady games before. I've seen dozens of really good templates online so you may want to try out Google... here's one of the first I saw that may get you started, at least with sound effects: http://www.murray.k12.ga.us/teacher/kara%20leonard/Mini%20T's/Games/Games.htm

SBowie
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I tend to agree. (I've even done a 'Family Feud' ripoff using Aura frames and layers at one time.)

ZachSchuster
02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Good suggestion. I had thought about doing a Powerpoint style setup, but remembered how much it DIDN'T work a few years ago. I neglected to account for improvements to the software... looks like there are some newer features that would make this option entirely plausible.

SBowie
02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Good suggestion. I had thought about doing a Powerpoint style setup, but remembered how much it DIDN'T work a few years ago. I neglected to account for improvements to the software... looks like there are some newer features that would make this option entirely plausible.Or you could dust off an old A500 with Scala .... ahhh, those were the days. :thumbsup:

joseburgos
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Zach,
The layering system is not the same as in Edit text to say the least and I posted my own title templates rules a while back explaining the things it does and does not do.
That said, you could trick the template to do almost exactly what you want. I say almost because what it can't do live is type in the answers via the template (you have to pre do them in Edit Text). What it can do live is reveal the answer in the order they are said. But that said, you still lose your ability to overlay and in Family Feud, as well as other games, you can't do a giant X overlay when a wrong answer is given.
Anyway, if you want to still go the title template route and not be able to use the overlay, it can be done using the letter "I" in a font that forms a rectangle. You then size the rectangle to become a large rectangle and cover the answer. Make sure to make it wider on one side than it needs to be. Now when you use it as a template, you just have to hover the mouse pointer at the edge you make wider for the I and click on it to reveal the I. Now backspace on the I and hit enter. This will reveal the type behind it.

Maybe if I find tomorrow, I will create and post a example of this Title Template trick with a fake game design to demonstrate its use.

PS As always, I create custom Title Templates for a reasonable fee :)

Take care,

joseburgos
02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Well I was a little wrong in a good way. I was able to make it be a full Title Template where you can change the answers in the Template live :)
I also went a step further and made a simple example Title Template for you to test attached to this post.
Please unzip the file and copy the two folders into:
C:\TriCaster\User Data\Default User\TitleTemplates\Templates\_ALLTEMPLATES_
Then re-launch TriCaster and the Title Template will in your list of Template.

To use it, hover over the small box to enter answers. Fill in all three answers to what you want them to be and the Template is ready for prime time. To reveal an answer, just hover over the right side large box and click on it. This will show the letter I. Just hit backspace and then enter to reveal the answer behind it :)

Enjoy,