PDA

View Full Version : SE2: Batch convert camera files

John Perkins
01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
There are two new features in SE2 that work very well together.

Convert to SpeedHQ (for hard to play files) and Find Camera Files. (digital cameras tend to hide footage deep in a folder structure)

The file types supported are mov, mxf, m2t, m2ts and mp4. This should cover most digital cameras.

If you have a camera that does this, the clips may be too hard to play for your system or you may simply want to do more layers in realtime.

In a filebin, right click on the top folder that contains your clips and select Find Camera Files. This will look for all the clips in any subfolders, even if the folder contains the contents of several SD cards for example.

This will create shortcuts in the current folder for every clip found. They can be dragged directly into the editor for use.

Or better still, since they act like a normal clip, you can also select all these shortcuts, choose Convert to SpeedHQ from the context menu and all of these clips will be batch converted to easy to play SpeedHQ files.

Marty01
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Just wondering how much quality is lost by converting the HD files to SpeedHQ files?

Thanks,
Marty

John Perkins
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
It's actually very little loss, although that is purely observational, no numbers to back that up.

The compression is based on quality, not a preset bitrate, so the quality should be in the 96%+ range if I remember correctly.

It is a 4:2:2:4 codec, so no color samples will be lost coming from compressed footage.

The previous version of SpeedHQ was already very good. The new version of SpeedHQ has improved encoding quality and speed but is backwards compatible with the previous versions. So for example you could play the files back on an older system using the older codec.

Adam_LightPlay
02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Does the "Convert to Speed HQ" process keep the full HD resolution? 1080i or 720p, etc?

Scott Bates
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I've only tested it with SD 720i, HDV 1440i and ACVHD 1920i Adam, but it reads the source files and renders to the file's native resolution in SpeedHQ - VERY quickly.

On our new Toshiba laptop it batch rendered two hours of SD 720x480 mpg2 camera files to SpeedHQ in 18 minutes and I can't tell any difference in quality by looking at them. SE2 handles .mpg's much better than SE1.x, but taking a little time to batch render to SpeedHQ has SE2 slicing through stuff like butter.

Adam_LightPlay
02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
but taking a little time to batch render to SpeedHQ has SE2 slicing through stuff like butter.

Cool, maybe I'll do that with the P2 MXF files that drag like molasses in SE1.