PDA

View Full Version : curves patch bug?

jin choung
01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
make any 4 crossing curves and patch it (ctrl-F) assymetrically - so that you can see a difference between parallel and perpendicular.

is it just me or are the values FLIPPED now?

the first curve you select defines which curve is the reference for perp and parall but now, what i expect to be perp is now parall and viceversa.

that's annoying... when did this happen? and is it fixed in the 9.6.1 beta?

(i'm using 9.6)

jin

ramccombe
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Jin, for me it seems to be a function of selection order. If I use the same patch settings, I get 2 results depending on selecting long spline first or short spline first. I attached a couple of images. Same on all builds. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

jin choung
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi Jin, for me it seems to be a function of selection order. If I use the same patch settings, I get 2 results depending on selecting long spline first or short spline first. I attached a couple of images. Same on all builds. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

hi richard,

thanks for checking and the screenshots.

yes, the results do change for me as well depending on which side i choose first.

but the issue is that the setting "perpendicular" or "parallel" should be referencing the FIRST curve you select.

so if i have 10 perpendicular and 1 parallel when i select the long curve (in your example), i should get 10 divisions along the long curve.

but in lw right now, i only get that result if i select the long curve first and make 1 perpendicular, 10 parallel. which is not right.

jin

ramccombe
01-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I tried as you described and I think I got the results you don't seem to get if I understand you correctly. I did the same setup as before and selected the long side first and with the 10 perpendicular and 1 parallel and I got 10 the long way and selecting the short side results in the opposite. I attached more images. Seems to work for me as you would expect. I have had numerous tools go on the fritz from time to time and found a new set of prefs has helped. Hope this helps.

SplineGod
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
My understanding has always been that the last spline selected determines parallel and perpendicular. Also going cw or ccw has an effect on the direction of the created poly normals.

jin choung
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
ah! that must be it then... it's been so long that i forgot whether it was first or last.... that's probably checkable through the docs...

thanks larry and thanks again richard.

jin choung
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
sonofa...

nix that... i was right:

"3 - Choose Construct > Patch : Patch. The fields for Perpendicular and Parallel refer to the number of polygons to put along the side that is perpendicular or parallel to the first curve you selected. Knots and Length let you choose to space your polygons equally according to the overall length or relative to the knots or points on the splines."

from manual...

i could be wrong but my memory was indeed of it being first.

and if so, it seems to be bugging.

richard, in your first image on the left, you selected long spline first correct? if so, the results are incorrect.

so let's redo the experiment and this time only ever select long side first. if you do that:

- if you set PERP 10 and PARL 1, you should get the image you have on the right.
- if you set PERP 1 and PARL 10, you should get the image you have on the left.

if you get opposite results, that means that somewhere along the lines, this got flipped... cuz i remember this working as i thought it should....

jin

ramccombe
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok I selected long spline first, counterclockwise and then just used undo and changed the patch setting. Is this what is supposed to happen?

jin choung
01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
aha!

no. it's a bug. they flipped it.

and i don't remember previous versions being like this.

alright. i'm not crazy.

they should fix this.

thanks again for checking richard.

jin

ramccombe
01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
If it is based on the last spline selected then it seems correct to me. If it's based on the first then it seems wrong. Are you getting the first line quote from the manual? If I start with the long spline and select the 4 splines in a circular order, the last one selected is a short one so the 10 perpendicular are to the short spline (the first pic in last post) and the second pic has 10 parallel to the short side. So it seems SplineGod is correct and the manual is wrong.

jin choung
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
If it is based on the last spline selected then it seems correct to me. If it's based on the first then it seems wrong. Are you getting the first line quote from the manual? If I start with the long spline and select the 4 splines in a circular order, the last one selected is a short one so the 10 perpendicular are to the short spline (the first pic in last post) and the second pic has 10 parallel to the short side. So it seems SplineGod is correct and the manual is wrong.

right... now at this point i don't know what's what.... i kinda sorta remember first one but last one sounds ok too... that's why i checked the manual....

jin

ramccombe
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
If that's what the manual say's, it's wrong. Would that be reported to documentation?

jin choung
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
yeah... that sounds right to me... but that's a moot point... i don't think they're going to be issuing updated manuals....

alright... i just gotta remember it's last. : )

thanks.

jin

jin choung
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
yeah and come to think of it, last sounds right - especially in considering patching a triangular cage with 3 splines....

i do remember selecting the last or hypotenuse curve as being the operative one.

jin

hrgiger
01-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Jin- Have you considered that Newtek is purposefully breaking your version of 9.6 only so you'll buy CORE?

digefxgrp
01-27-2010, 02:11 AM
I've always known it being the first curve selected is the Parallel..second perpendicular...so to me LW is still working (patching ) properly.

Maybe I'm just backwards.;D

Kuzey
01-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm thinking this could make a great interactive tool....select in any order and patch, then use the up/down arrow keys to cycle through all the possible combinations... press enter/return and you're done.

Kuzey