PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it time the galleries were merged?

biliousfrog
01-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Well the title says it really...why have we got a LW finished gallery and a 9.6 gallery?...are there guidelines anywhere as to which one should be used for which type of image or should we just stick our work into either...or both?

Matt
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Yes, should be merged, it's silly.

Svenart
01-26-2010, 05:33 AM
I agree

Soth
01-26-2010, 06:14 AM
+7

cresshead
01-26-2010, 06:14 AM
i actually think we should have a few more galleries to split them into themes like architectual, fantasy & sci fi, character, scientific, product viz etc..i agree the 9.6 is abit redundant now mind you.. though we're gonna get a CORE gallery at some point too.

ken_g9
01-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Haha, I was wondering that for the longest time now...

Yeah, definitely merge them :D

Matt
01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
i actually think we should have a few more galleries to split them into themes like architectual, fantasy & sci fi, character, scientific, product viz etc..i agree the 9.6 is abit redundant now mind you.. though we're gonna get a CORE gallery at some point too.

I could go for that actually.

probiner
01-26-2010, 07:51 AM

+1 yes
Not with those names maybe, but definetly make sections. That will improve the visibility of LW based images.

Cheers

OnlineRender
01-26-2010, 08:02 AM
even something like a xml gallery

((((((<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<generalOptions imagesXML="images.xml" styleCSS="style.css" bannerWidth="600" bannerHeight="260" randomImages="false" randomTransitions="true" imageFitting="bestFit" autoStart="true" firstWithTransition="true" autoTiming="true" pauseOnMouseOver="false" loadNextImageInBack="true" backgroundColor="" />
<transitions value="1,2,3,4,6,8,9,10,12,15,16,17,18,22,24,33,35,38,41, 43,45,48,51,53,55,59,60,62,65,67,69,72,73,74,75,76 ,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,9 3,94,95,96,97,98,99,100,101,103,106" />
<imageEffects type="random" zoomPercent="20" duration="5" direction="left" hZoomPos="random" vZoomPos="random" />
<preloaderOptions show="true" hAlign="center" vAlign="center" padding="20" size="30" />
<controlsOptions show="true" hPos="right" vPos="bottom" padding="10" alignment="horizontal" numbersOverNextButton="true" />
<controlsOrder value="playpause,previous,next,fullscreen,timer" />
<textOptions show="true" embedFont="true" hPos="random" vPos="random" width="0" height="0" padding="30" distance="5" />
<textEffects slide="true" alpha="true" blur="true" appear="random" function="random" method="easeOut" duration="1.3" bodyDelay="0.4" />
<textBackground type="asText" headColor="0x112233" alpha="40" bodyColor="0x002244" padding="5" cornerRadius="3" />
<buttonOptions shape="square" size="24" symbolSize="60" spacing="18" />
<buttonColors back="0xFFFFFF" symbol="0xFF99CC" alpha="90" />
<buttonColorsOver back="0xAAAAAA" symbol="0xFFFFFF" alpha="100" />
<numberColors back="0xF6EED3" symbol="0x222222" alpha="85" />
<numberColorsOver back="0xA59F88" symbol="0xFFFFFF" alpha="100" />
<selectedNumberColors back="0xFFFFFF" symbol="0x000000" alpha="100" /> ))))

code

biliousfrog
01-26-2010, 09:45 AM

I can see that it would be useful to have sections but I could also see myself missing a lot of great work because it's an area that I wouldn't usually find interesting. Having a single gallery forum with searchable 'themes' would be useful for finding or sorting images.

For example, when submitting an image you are asked for a title, section, software version, plugins used, commercial or personal etc. If you then want to find a specific image/animation which you remember from a few years ago but can't remember who by you can search the gallery under specific criteria eg. 'Product Visual, LW 8.5, Trees Designer, Commercial'...similar to how the plugin search works on Flay.

Or you could just view the gallery according to the latest entry or sort it into sections or by user, software version, plugins etc.

Perhaps even have each section coloured or marked in some way so that you can see at a glance which entry is arch-viz, fantasy, product viz etc.

cresshead
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
yeah if you could 'tag' a image from some presets and then have the 'gallery' have drop down filters or tickbox filters so yo could say select character+sci fi and get all the sci fi characters or transport+cartoon and get all the cartoon style transport or architectual+interiors etc...

Intuition
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that and a top row should be added to the forum. ;) So people can see whats "Goin ON" in the Lightwave world.

shrox
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
At first I thought the title was about merging galaxies...

jasonwestmas
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
At first I thought the title was about merging galaxies...

LOL, that's awesome!

While we are at it, isn't it time we merged parallel universes, I mean really , what's the hold up. :sleeping:

Infinite
01-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Yeah, that and a top row should be added to the forum. ;) So people can see whats "Goin ON" in the Lightwave world.

Great idea.

The gallery needs some new, more dynamic content.

OnlineRender
01-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I would be happy if they just switched on auto refresh ....

you need to take into consideration ,that this would require constant updates /work ."which would cost $ "
also it open vunerabilites in the code .
we switched from v-bulletin - ipboard and it took some time adjusting . but it was worth it in the end "more control"

you could write a quick script like cresshead mentioned that would give the user more choices when uploading images .

This is very smart forum ! you under estimate it some times . the outer shell may look like a bog standard v-bulletin forum , but its inner working are a little more complex .
"good programming "

although some skins only work on certain browsers ! , but that's another issue .

it does look like a tech forum , and maybe that's a good a thing , your not over indulged with images , it loads rapid and you can see the content direct ,without having to shift threw hundreds of post " granted I probably make it a little more difficult to search " .

the mods here are very easy going , some of the stuff that gets posted just shouldn't be allowed (",) and we should be thankful .

I would like to see a little bit more time spent on the forum and I do agree that artists work should be displayed for all to see .

there's plenty of people here that I am sure would help and probably for free ,to make this site more astheticly pleasing ,
but again it comes down to time and money ........

probiner
01-27-2010, 06:55 AM

LW is not alone here http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/047.gif .
Whatever top row it could be, i think it should be very subtle. But Lw images should could use the help :P

OnlineRender
01-27-2010, 06:56 AM
LW is not alone here http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/047.gif .
Whatever top row it could be, i think it should be very subtle. But Lw images should could use the help :P

valid observation

JeffrySG
01-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd be happy to see just one unified gallery but with the option to pick what the subject is in your work - maybe from a dropdown menu when creating the thread. Then people can choose to only look at one subject if they wanted rather than us having a different section for each subject.

+1 on the top row too...