PDA

View Full Version : Displacement Map Question.

Ty Catt
01-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Hello,

Quick Q:

I have a client with pesky demands!

I have an subd. object with desired Displacement Map textures / settings, but due to camera movements, the client feels the object should appear bigger, more extending to the horizon. They can't make up mind and keep adjusting, adjusting, adjusting... They assured me it was correct in pre-concep time, but sure enough...

If I increase the object size, obviously the Disp. Map looks different, and not as desired.

Yes, I could fidget all day trying to re-calc the procedeurals' parameters 'till the client's like the object size, but is there a way to constrain the Map's settings to stay the same despite an increase in the object's size? I thought something with Null control? The texture is perfect as is and I'm starting to lose it.

As is, enlarging the object in Modeler almost disrupts the texture to the point where I cannot recreate the texture without it breaking up into visible triangle lines when rendered (due to poly number, I assume).

It may be a dumb Q, but everytime I don't ask, I find out months later on the forums someone has the same issue and there are some viable workarounds. :help:

Thanks guys!

Ty

SplineGod
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
If the object is u sing Subds increase the subpatch level and try subdividing before or after the displacement to see what looks best. If you want to change the size of the object but not the procedural try setting the texture to world coords

Ty Catt
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Larry,

Tried chagning to world coordinates already, but the texture displacement disappeared to the point that any input into the scale field still won't bring it back, remains flat. Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Tyler

toby
01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Looks like you need that plugin that controls clients more than anything else :D

When you switch on world coordinates, anything you've entered in the texture panel for scale, position etc. becomes relative to the origin of the scene instead of the objects' pivot point, so they will have to be adjusted. If your object is scaled up in the scene you'll have to scale up the texture scale accordingly, and the same with position/rotation. To begin with I'd bring the object into a new scene, leave it at default/origin then set world coordinates, see how it looks.

Ty Catt
01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Toby,

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot.

While were discussing clients, I love it when you agree on a cost with a client, yet they walk away with a better product than they paid for. Why? You can't shut off creative coolness just because time is up. I always try to work that extra day's worth of behind the scenes coolness into the budget, but in the end, they never know...

But this client supposedly has tons of future work for us, so I'm trying to schmooze them early on!:hey:

Thanks again,

Tyler

toby
01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Yep, and they're schmoozing you with future work! But that's a good thing too -

I'm the same way, I'm not satisfied just because they are. It's also advertising for you.