PDA

View Full Version : subpatch broken?

pilF
01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I might be missing something very obvious. I made a low res object in LW imported in 3DCoat for per pixel painting (subdivided the model). 3DC generated the uv map and a 4k texture. Exported to lwo an dimported in LW. Now if i try to subpatch the object it wont work (all quads, statistics showing evrything is subpatched) Unless i set it to CC subpatch, then geometry is smoothed out agin and rendered that way.

Now with the object still loaded i create a new document, draw a simple cube and it won't subpatch unless set to CC subpatch.

I set the display GL settings from multitexture to GLSL shader, buffered VBO to see my uv mapped imported object. Might have broken some settings? Any suggestion welcome. LW64 vistapro nvidia geforce ultra 8800 latest driver installed. OGL 3.2

probiner
01-25-2010, 02:24 AM
If Subpatch Divisions is set to level 1 in Options (O key) that will happen.

Cheers

pilF
01-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks probiner, checked but both subpatch division and CC level are set to 3. Setting it to 6 makes no difference.

JBT27
01-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Have you tried another object to check if subpatch is actually working?

Like a cube in LW and hit Tab with subpatch as the option, just to make sure.

At least that would narrow it down to that object, or prove the actual tool is at fault.

Julian.

pilF
01-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Yes i did JBT27 (again) a new object (cube) in a seperate file won't subpatch unless set to CC subpatch. set a subpatch weightmap of +100 and then -100 and deleted it no effect on the subpatch shape. Saved the object and rendered it --> no subpatched shape

Attached the subpatched cube test.zip, could you please test it and see if it subpatches?

If i close LW and startup again subpatch does work untill i import the 3DC object again.

pilF
01-25-2010, 04:38 AM
It gets even weirder/better problem has gone now after restarting modeller and subpatching a simple cube first the imported 3DC object subpatches too. ??

IMI
01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes i did JBT27 (again) a new object (cube) in a seperate file won't subpatch unless set to CC subpatch. set a subpatch weightmap of +100 and then -100 and deleted it no effect on the subpatch shape. Saved the object and rendered it --> no subpatched shape

Attached the subpatched cube test.zip, could you please test it and see if it subpatches?

If i close LW and startup again subpatch does work untill i import the 3DC object again.

Well that's really weird. I gave it a try with LW 9.6 just now and it won't SubD it in regular mode, only CC.
Trying to put it into SubD results in all the faces looking badly smoothed like you would normally get with faces that are at 90 degrees to each other, even though smoothing is off. And turning smoothing on and lowering the angle doesn't change anything.
It also shows 6 polygons in the SubPatches list in the polygon statistics panel.
It's like it's just acting as bad smoothing, rather than subdividing.
And if I create a new cube in a different layer, that won't work either, and the new cube displays the same issue.

Have to say I've never seen this happen before. Could be a rare LW bug, but there could be something wrong with that cube too, although I can't see anything. It's all merged, has the correct number of points and polys.
And after all, what could go wrong with a simple cube? ;)

You might want to write this one up as a bug. I can see your cube being bugged somehow, but it doesn't make sense that it proceeds to break SubD in Modeler for objects created later.

pilF
01-25-2010, 07:26 AM
ah a contagious cubical disease then ... Interesting

IMI
01-25-2010, 07:28 AM
It goes away after restarting Modeler though, so at least it's not fatal. ;)
Very peculiar.

pilF
01-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Mild symptons Dr. McCoy but i filed a bugreport anyway. Thx for bearing with me

probiner
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Same with me. Won't go with subpatch and only level 1 with catmull. All good after restart.

Submit this in bug section =)