PDA

View Full Version : "Discovery Mode", Need activation help...

Gyrant
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Hello, I've just purchased LW (at least 6 weeks ago) and need help getting it registered. Presently it will only run in "Discovery Mode" and gives me a message, "Your License key was not found. Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key." Then a product lock number. My first effort was to get a solution from NewTek support, who over two or three weeks of correspondence never sent me any such solution. I have looked for help elsewhere online and found instructions directing to a registration utility that should be in my LW folder, but no such utility is present. How do I get my software out of Discovery mode?? I have already registered it on the NewTek website. I've been drooling over this program for years and now I feel like I just wasted a ton of money of something I can't even use.

-G

nickdigital
01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
In your registration page there's a link called "My Products". Your license key should be listed there.

shrox
01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
http://register.newtek.com/Register.aspx?C=1

Gyrant
01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Thank you for responding. What specifically should I do on the page that shows my license key number? I don't see anything that indicates a software activation or directions to doing so.

rsfd
01-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi,
when you have registered LW on the register page with your serial number, you should find an appropriate "unlock-key" (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx).
Copy that number.
Log out from the register page and with the dongle attached go to LW Layout 9.6.
Choose "Help > Enter unlock key" and paste your unlock key in that dialogue.
Click ok, exit LW and then restart LW.
Should be unlocked then (start Modeler to see if it's unlocked too).

You can also create the license file manually:
Open TextEdit (or any other Text Editor app) and just paste the unlock key number in the first line of an empty document.
Save that file as plain text file named "license.key" (if you end up with "license.txt" just change the suffix manually to .key).
Place that file into: user/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D
With Dongle attached, start Layout to see if the file is recognized.

Gyrant
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
rfsd, Problem solved, thank you!! I knew someone was bound to have the answer here. It's too bad those simple instructions couldn't have been found in my manual or from my NewTek Support correspondent. Thank you again for your help, I have such big plans for projects and I feel so relieved that I can finally get started on them!

-G

rsfd
01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
hey, Gryant up and running!
Glad I could help.
All the best for your plans!
:thumbsup:

Chuck
01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
rfsd, Problem solved, thank you!! I knew someone was bound to have the answer here. It's too bad those simple instructions couldn't have been found in my manual or from my NewTek Support correspondent. Thank you again for your help, I have such big plans for projects and I feel so relieved that I can finally get started on them!

-G

General instructions are in the manual (Volume 1, Introduction and Modeler, p. 8, Registering and Licensing Your Software), and in the Readme.txt file that opens up at the end of the installation routine. More comprehensive instructions have been prepared for v9.6.1 and for the next ordinal update of LightWave 3D and will be in the readme files and the manuals. There should also have been an email from the registration system at the time you registered the product, which should have contained those instructions. Did you receive that?

Was it technical support or customer services that you corresponded with? Both of them should have been able to provide the proper instructions; I'd like to let the manager of whichever department was involved know that they may need to refresh the staff on the issues. Apologies that they did not get you the info we need, and maybe we can prevent someone else having that problem in future.

Very glad that you now have access, thanks to the helpful fellow users here on the forum, and I hope you have a great experience with LightWave and great success with your creative projects. :)

Chuck
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Grabbed the text of the latest instructions we have provided for the Open Beta registration, and edited them a bit to be applicable to v9.6 registration:

When you have finished the install process, a dialog box will pop up telling you the 'Product Lock ID' for the dongle. The dongle is required to run the LightWave software. Write down the 'Product Lock ID', as you will need this to register your software.

Use the LightWave product serial number to register your LightWave program software at http://register.newtek.com
1. Log-in to your NewTek product registration account.
2. Select the LightWave v9.6 from the Product drop-down.
3. Click on 'Register Now'
4. Enter your LightWave v9.6 serial number in the text field.
5. Click on "Register"
6. Select your dongle type from the Dongle drop-down.
7. Enter your dongle ID in the text field under 'Lock ID'.
8. Select your processor type from the Processor drop-down.
9. If necessary, repeat steps 6-8 for additional platform installations.
10. Click on 'Register'

Once you have registered, your License Key will be available online in your registration account. You will need the license key to operate the software without restrictions.

Now you are ready to run LightWave and create the license.key file you will need to run v9.6.1.

Creating a License Key file from within LightWave:

1) Open Layout.
2) From the Help menu dropdown, select "Enter License".
3) In the input field, paste in or type in the license key number provided by the registration system.
4) Click "OK". LightWave will add the new key entry and save the file.
5) A requester should open to report "License.key successfully written. Restart LightWave to end Discovery Mode." Click OK to close the requester.
6) Quit and restart Layout. The program should now open in licensed mode.

Creating a License Key file manually:

1) Open a text editor such as Notepad.
2) Type your permanent license key on the first line.
3) Save the file and name it 'license.key' (do not include the quotation marks) in the LightWave Programs folder.
4) Close the text editor.
5) Open Layout to confirm that the key worked.

Mac Universal Preferences and License Keys

The license.key file for a single user, and user-specific settings should go in:

~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Any license.key file you want all users to have access to, and machine-specific settings should go in:

/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Third party plug-ins for the user (as they start showing up) should probably go in:

~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

Third party plug-ins you want all users of your machine to have access to should go in:

/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

The Extensions configuration file used to contain a list of all of the plug-ins you're using. Since we're using an automatic search now, the Extensions file will be empty by default. If the user manually adds a plug-in via the Add Plugins command, or by any non-automatic means, it will show up in that file. We're trying to move away from this mechanism, but we've left this capability in, in case you really need it.

Any objects or scenes you drag and drop into LightWave windows will not change the content directory.

For this phase of the LightWave v9.6.1 Open Beta you will need to create a new license.key file.

Creating a License Key file from within LightWave:

1) Open Layout.
2) From the Help menu dropdown, select "Enter License".
3) In the input field, paste in or type in the license key number provided by the registration system.
4) Click "OK". LightWave will add the new key entry and save the file.
5) A requester should open to report "License.key successfully written. Restart LightWave to end Discovery Mode." Click OK to close the requester.
6) Quit and restart Layout. The program should now open in licensed mode.

Instructions for manual creation and placement of the license.key file in the Universal Binary:

1) Open TextEdit.app
2) Paste your permanent key on the first line
3) Select the 'Make Plain Text' item in the Format menu
4) Save the file. Name the file 'license.key', and place it in any one of the following folders...

* SharedSupport folder, which is in the main LightWave program folder, next to Layout, Modeler, and other LightWave tools.

* ~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

* /Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

5) Open Layout to confirm that the key worked.

Please note that at this time we are not suggesting that our Universal Binary customers use the -c command line switch.