PDA

View Full Version : Save "Cache Radiosty" and "Cache Caustics"

Exper
09-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Come on NT...
we must be able to save/reload both "Cache Radiosty" and "Cache Caustics" in LW[8]...
this one should be a quite simple thing to do! ;)

Provinding us this weapon should delay a little bit the renderer revamap!

Comments are appreciated! ;)

Bye.

Pavlov
09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
>we must be able to save/reload both "Cache Radiosty" >and "Cache Caustics" in LW[8]...
>this one should be a quite simple thing to do! ;)

i fear this is not possibile by now, since Lw radiosity is not geometry-based like Ligtscape's one.
Imho, the only way to bake LW radiosity would be a shader, but i dunno if current API can allow this.
You an alternatively use Vmap based baking with surface baker, but since LW does not handle dynamic geometry operation (a major drawback of the separaton of the modules), you should subdivide recursively your geometry by hand in a not-adaptive mode: in other words, a disaster.
I think we'll see very few things in this direction, until NT puts hands seriously to the granma-old LW's architecture.
Lightning-fast radiosity and a complete revamp of lightset would be a good thing, anyway.

Paolo Zambrini

Exper
09-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Pavlov
I think we'll see very few things in this direction, until NT puts hands seriously to the granma-old LW's architecture.
Lightning-fast radiosity and a complete revamp of lightset would be a good thing, anyway.Hoping... or do you have some "official" information? ;)

NT's new dev team is working really good (yes... I know... they started from CA and Dynamics)... but they're going to blaze!

So... I'm hoping too!

Bye.

Exper
09-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Pavlov
i fear this is not possibile by now, since Lw radiosity is not geometry-based like Ligtscape's one.I know...
but as they " buffer" it using "Cache Radiosity" during a single session then it shuold be possible to write the "buffer" down to disk and then reload/reuse it in a second time!

Bye.

marko
09-08-2003, 06:22 AM
only way to avoid blotches is using dithered motion blur in at least 5 passes. (that means that lw is calculating radiosity 10 times) if this is the case you cannot write solution.
rethinking the way radiosity works is must.

marko