PDA

View Full Version : a hybrid chopper.

*Pete*
01-23-2010, 04:35 PM
the biggest difficulty with making this...thing, was to give it a name.

anyway...a jet powered dragbike, made to fly (literally).

crits & comments much appreaciated.

OnlineRender
01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
very nice , I could ride , except the gears on the wrong side @:)

hrgiger
01-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Good job Pete.

*Pete*
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
very nice , I could ride , except the gears on the wrong side @:)

ah..but since "it" doesnt need any brakes, i added double gears...

seriously though...they are intented for controlling the flaps/wings...not so visible from this view though.

*Pete*
01-23-2010, 06:39 PM
took me roughly 15 or so hours to get its "almost done"...and then a week to add or change details that i didnt like...you know how it is.
the last change i did was to add the screws holding the cover in place...its really amazing how much difference the small details do in the final image.

the engine is the only part that i modelled after a referance photo...the rest just got built as i saw best fit...originally i planned to have the pedals in front of the engine, so that the driver would have a "easy rider" position...but then i went for a drag race position instead.

its 68.500 polys, half of them subpatches...about 2.000.000 polys at render (subd's at level 6).

i need to upgrade my computer, becouse this is at the upper limit of what i can push it to...i had plans to add a driver-biker-pilot as well...but it has to be sometime much later.

Shnoze Shmon
01-23-2010, 07:33 PM
...originally i planned to have the pedals in front of the engine, so that the driver would have a "easy rider" position...but then i went for a drag race position instead.

Me thinks there is still a risk of the driver getting footsies sucked into the engine. Other than that it looks like a whopping lot of fun. Nice job!

cc3d
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I am thinking this hybrid is designed to use both gasoline and jet fuel? So it's a hybrid fuel burner? I like it!

Good job! Post some action shots!

CC

Kuzey
01-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Looks super....can we get some more views :D

btw.....was this made in Core :hey:

Kuzey

*Pete*
01-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Looks super....can we get some more views :D

btw.....was this made in Core :hey:

Kuzey

1. new views on the way...but it will take some time becouse im not 100% finished with the rear...i need to design and add a rearlight.

also i need to add some textures for the mph/h, rmp, altitude, fuel and oil pressure gauges...it wont take a lot of time though, but i just dont have too much time on my hands now either becouse i propably will get a paid project to work on...dropped into my mailbox this morning.

you could expect a roundtable animation sometime at the end of this week though...and some extra rendered views.

2: no, not made in Core...i plan to make my next personal project in core though as it will have some features that does not exist in LW.
im still far more familiar with old LW though...modelling is a pure joy when you do not have to think about what tool to use where or how, when everything is hardcoded into the fingertips.

but, still...my next personal project will anyway take me into unfamiliar territory so i plan to do it as much as possible in Core.

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Oh cool...make sure you mention Core in that future post :hey:

One thing I find funny about flying bikes, they never have a visible way to stand up/hover on their own....when the engine is not running :D

Kuzey

OnlineRender
01-25-2010, 06:56 AM
would make a cool transformer

*Pete*
01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
ah, but this bike is not a hoverbike...only brute force from the engines and high speed will keep it airborne...it has no brakes or parashutes.

The wing is what it will land and take of on too, preferably from snow or grass.

My idea with this machine was the combination of insane danger as any mistake with driving it could be lethal, and the irresistable temptation of driving it anyway, disregarding the risks, becouse its so fun...made for adrenaline junkies.

*Pete*
01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
would make a cool transformer

i love your avatar.

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 07:43 AM
I wondered how it would stand up when not in use...it doesn't have those levers(not sure what they are called) used to balance/keep the bike upright.

Snow/grass only...that makes sense now. I was thinking roads/concrete and rocks/boulders as a nice surface to land and take off from :)

Kuzey

*Pete*
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
two more pictures of the...thing.

ill render an roundtable animation tonight and one or two more views.

Kuzey
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I didn't realized how big those jets were.....looks like it could be a one trip only experience :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Aquilon
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Love to have one of these nice machines :-)

This is a great model. The design is really stunning and your modeling is superb.
Maybe the brake/oil lines might be a hint more thicker, now they look like strings to me and not cables (at least on the pic in your first post).

Keep coming with those renders ;-)

sampei
03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
woops missed this, cracking work on this model...nothing to criticize :thumbsup:

probiner
03-04-2010, 03:12 AM
I missed this one too... great stuff Peter.

3dsimpso
03-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Great model, always curious of this but how many polys did this add up to?

*Pete*
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Great model, always curious of this but how many polys did this add up to?

66682 in total.
29457 of them subpatches.

it was a lot of fun to build it....and suprisingly easy.

no real advanced techingues required...

Intuition
03-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Light the studio lit one with an area light so we can see some soft shadow action. ;D Scale the area up a little to soften more. :D

pixeltek
03-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Beautiful work and renders. I only would like to see the vertical stabilizers a little thicker. More like the two elevators in the back (bottom). They would, IMO, sustain quite an aerodynamic load in flight, and I feel that they'd bend way too easy to provide proper longitudinal stabilization for the craft. Other than that minor crit, love it. Want one. :thumbsup:

pixeltek
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com

*Pete*
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
. Want one. :thumbsup:

i printed out a few of the renders and took to mechanics at my work...i asked them to build a prototype.

i want one as well...

as for the vertical stabilators..i made them thicker long time ago, i just never made new renders...im working on a new project, it will be a good one, when its done (but not mechanical this time).

thanks for the comments guys.:thumbsup:

tayotain2
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
two more pictures of the...thing.

Ill render an roundtable animation tonight and one or two more views.

ahamay! :d

RonB
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
A knockout *Pete*...great modeling!

SonicPerfect
06-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Dude, thats absolutely amazing!!
WOW!! The design is great!!

Kabaal
06-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I really like the design and style.

How long did it take to build and did you use any reference pics/material?

Great work.