PDA

View Full Version : Idea for setup/texture/lighting challenge

Exception
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Some time ago I made a reasonably accurate model of the Brion Vega Cemetery chapel by Carlo scarpa, a brilliant architect from Italy in the mid 20th century (google it).

I have rendered some daylight tests with it and printed off a 3D model from it, but never got around to reall ymaking it a nice scene and render it properly.

I was thinking this could be a nice open source challenge. I give the model away and everyone can try their best at it. I have tons of reference photographs. Then the scene+texturing+model will be made available for all to learn from.

How does this sound to you guys?

Nicolas Jordan
01-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds great! I enjoy rendering/lighting challenges. I'm up for it. :thumbsup:

toby
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Sounds outrageously cool! Not entirely sure I'd have time to do it though :(

UltraViolet
01-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I like the sound of that. Finally something for those who do not model in LW.

I will gladly participate :)

toby
01-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Finally something for those who do not model in LW.
word! :rock:

JeffrySG
01-23-2010, 05:04 PM
That does sound cool. My only suggestion would be to provide a whole scene setup for everyone to use. This would be similar to the lighting challenges that go on over at CGTalk. People could still add some other secondary models if they wanted but they could really focus on the lighting and texturing/rendering.

I think that when there are too many elements in the challenge not many people participate as it usually would take up too much time.

Very cool idea either way though! :)

Exception
01-24-2010, 01:45 AM
That does sound cool. My only suggestion would be to provide a whole scene setup for everyone to use.

Could you elaborate on this a little? The model of the building is complete, and putting furniture in it is sort of like sacrilege. There's a few trees and that's basically all that's needed. Have you taken a look at the building?

I am seeing water plants, grass, moss and weathering as part of materials and texturing, really.

I've attached some screenshots, and here (http://architecturelab.net/2008/08/28/brion-vega-cemetery-carlo-scarpa/) are some reference photographs online.

It's called the Brion Vega Cemetery, reading up on its history is great, it's quite remarkable. The architect is buried there as well. The model is only of the chapel and surrounding landscape. As you'll see, that's nuts enough to build anyway. Thanks LWCAD for this one.

Wittywop
01-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I think that would be sweet. I could use the practice on texturing and lighting. I think it would be fun.

Iain
01-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Sounds great Tom. It's a beautiful building.

Bugger to model though-you've done the hard part!

p.s. Any chance of doing castelvecchio next?

biliousfrog
01-26-2010, 02:36 AM
I'll see how things go but I'd like to participate if I have the time.

Is the model textured then or would that be part of the challenge? It looks like it has some surfacing applied already.

Limbus
01-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Sounds great. What are the exact rules? E.g. are we allowed to use 3rd party render engines like FPrime or Kray?

Cheers, Florian

IMI
01-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Sounds like a way cool idea to me, and it looks like an excellent model!
I'd be up for it, for sure. :)

zardoz
01-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm in.

JohnMarchant
01-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Sounds great

Derrick_SA
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
this sounds very cool!

We could learn a lot. The winning entrant could maybe make a PDF write-up explaining how they got to what they did, and why certain choices were made, with screen caps and all.

- Derrick

JeffrySG
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Could you elaborate on this a little? The model of the building is complete, and putting furniture in it is sort of like sacrilege. There's a few trees and that's basically all that's needed. Have you taken a look at the building?

I am seeing water plants, grass, moss and weathering as part of materials and texturing, really.

I've attached some screenshots, and here (http://architecturelab.net/2008/08/28/brion-vega-cemetery-carlo-scarpa/) are some reference photographs online.

It's called the Brion Vega Cemetery, reading up on its history is great, it's quite remarkable. The architect is buried there as well. The model is only of the chapel and surrounding landscape. As you'll see, that's nuts enough to build anyway. Thanks LWCAD for this one.

My mistake. I heard building and assumed it was an exterior view. The interior looks very cool!!! (and complete) ;)

JeffrySG
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
this sounds very cool!

We could learn a lot. The winning entrant could maybe make a PDF write-up explaining how they got to what they did, and why certain choices were made, with screen caps and all.

- Derrick

I'd look forward to reading Iain's writeup! ;)
(no pressure)

IMI
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd look forward to reading Iain's writeup! ;)

Yes, me too. Hopefully he'll be writing it up as he works on the challenge so we don't have to wait too long for it. ;)

Iain
01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
:)
I'll give it my best shot but it would be great if some of the Kray gurus turned out.

They just seem to hide over on their own forum.

toby
01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I think it would be great if, like the cg challenges, any render were allowed and there are no 'winners', but if everyone still wants a winner we can have one for each renderer.

Exception
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
p.s. Any chance of doing castelvecchio next?

Ha!
Not a chance, mister.

I used the model to make 3D prints, so they needed to be perfect. Long live LW modeler. Attached images.

The model has a texture applied, nothing good or special. I'll supply the model untextured, but it does have a few surface names. For what it's worth.

I don't care what renderer you use, and I don't think there are ever real 'winners' in this world, so... I dunno. Perhaps the 'best efforts' category will get a special Carlo Scarpa hug (from the grave).

I don't know if that'll spur anyone on though...

Ok, so we're on then? I'll go and um, I dunno, make a posting for it.
Remember, this model does remain my property, so no reselling or fluffing it off as your own. Creative Commons BY-NC-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/) all the way.

toby
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Cool 3d prints! That's one thing that makes me want to model -

MooseDog
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
great initiative tom! tex/light/render discussions are always a blast, the winner being community participation and that everyone takes away some knowledge and experience. sharing is caring :).

JeffrySG
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I think it would be great if, like the cg challenges, any render were allowed and there are no 'winners', but if everyone still wants a winner we can have one for each renderer.

Yeah, that is one of the things that I like about the challenges on CGT. You see work from all different renderers and 3d apps, etc.

IMI
01-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Ok, so we're on then? I'll go and um, I dunno, make a posting for it.
Remember, this model does remain my property, so no reselling or fluffing it off as your own. Creative Commons BY-NC-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/) all the way.

Sounds great and thanks! :thumbsup:
Are you going to post a link to it here or somewhere else? I just looked 'round the forums and didn't find anything.

Exception
01-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Sounds great and thanks! :thumbsup:
Are you going to post a link to it here or somewhere else? I just looked 'round the forums and didn't find anything.

Building the thing as we speak :)
(and building excitement ;) )

Edit: ok done: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978537#post978537