PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to lightwave when core is released?

octopus2000
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
when core 1.0 is finally released does that mean that the 6 months i've spent studying lightwave will fly out the window? is core going to be a completely new software that everything i've learned about lightwave will just go to waste?

Captain Obvious
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
is core going to be a completely new software that everything i've learned about lightwave will just go to waste?
Oh, certainly not! A lot of application-specific things will be 'reset', sure, but the general lessons of 3D that you've learned will stick with you. The more applications you know, the easier it is to learn new ones. If you know Lightwave, getting to grips with CORE should be a snap, even if the location of the 'bevel' button has changed.

geothefaust
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Yep, as Captain O points out, lessons learnt will stick with you. Don't ever stop learning! There are plenty of things in LW that I'm sure will stick with CORE. It wouldn't hurt to learn a few things from other applications as well. XSI and Maya come to mind.

Of course there will surely be entirely new things to learn, as well.

As for hotkeys, this should be a simple matter, as the hotkeys should be customizable as with just about all other 3D applications.

So anyway, keep on learning. It wont hurt you. :)

jaxtone
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Damn! I was hoping for new software and no more learning! :)

JohnMarchant
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I wouldnt worry about that. Core will be at least 3 or more years to be up to scratch and even when it is i bet people will still use LW for some things. The problem will be LW compatability with future operating systems and support.

OnlineRender
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I wouldnt worry about that. Core will be at least 3 or more years to be up to scratch and even when it is i bet people will still use LW for some things. .

You scare me saying things like that , It slightly overcasts a shadow on LW . I fear sometime's I have taken the wrong path ! ...

in the end it comes down to "not what the software can do , but who can do it " .....

JohnMarchant
01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
You scare me saying things like that , It slightly overcasts a shadow on LW . I fear sometime's I have taken the wrong path ! ...

in the end it comes down to "not what the software can do , but who can do it " .....

Not really, i think its a realistic idea of when Core will be fully able to take over all things from LW, there will be teething troubles, its to be expected. Dont forget most of AD stuff, maya, max and the like are also starting to go through this process as well, but i bet that at least 2 of the products they have will die by name and be assimilated into other products sort of 3D MaxiMaya.

Yes it does come down to what you the artist can do. There is some great work going on with Blender which is free, it has stuff that puts all the big boys to shame.

OnlineRender
01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
yup and kinda glad , but I still have that want for LW , "does that sound gay?"

EDIT ] yup and big up to the rep that sold it ! he has been a charm

Philbert
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I think 3 years is being a little hard on it. Granted I'm not in HC yet so I can't say for sure, but from what I hear it's a lot further along than that.

OnlineRender
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Not really, i.

When Core goes to linux I will be happy !

OnlineRender
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
This is my honest view "6 cans of 500 ML,BUD " will be a straight as your going to get,although slightly obscured "lol at myself/spelling " .................................................. ...

you can't write off Lightwave ,Ever.....take NT out of the equation "because alot of you do !", lets say for example , Core hits the ground running and everyone jumps ship " even die hard Maya fans" , there's no time limit on this .
Iv'e seen enough to know that its going in a direction maybe not the best but atleast it's a foward motion ........

now you have Blender " A FREE APP " pretty much kicking *** , mainly because it's open source ,and any tom ,dick and harry can write for it .
But it's not just these people who carry the project foward , you have some of the best people in 3D.............[that means full stop] writing and using it for there pleasure .

now we come onto AD ,do you think there share of the market is down to good marketing ??? ahem

my point although vauge , is that LW will always be here ! even if NT go tits up , Im hoping that LW goes free when Core is there main App ! what else you going to do with it ???????????? apart from hack the source code .

LW 9(x) can pretty much keep up with any 3D package , it just needs a good person in the driving seat to cruise it there .

NT have hit the nail on the head , you can agree to disagree on this .............. there product is on the line ! it hits both markets without hitting your pocket .

EDIT] it's not the paint brush that you blame !

Derrick_SA
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I'm even thinking of getting the Desktop Images FX training Series DVD's.

I mean Lightwave is still very powerful (AND GREAT) and very much used in the production pipeline,

CORE is gonna be great at some point, but what you learn from using Lightwave 9 will translate to CORE. Yes, things will be different, but the foundation knoweldge will be there.

That's my opinion,
Derrick