PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on video assembly line

calhoontuna
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Brainstorming, seeing if anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve the following workflow for a very specific scenario.

On a fairly regular basis, a team of sales people will come in and give multiple presentations/role plays that are videotaped by a random and ever changing member of the audience. It happens far too frequently, and are two day long events, for me to take time out and run the camera.

After the presentation, the sales person will be handed the DV tape, which hell run into the other room, watch, then return to the camera operator. While hes doing this, another guy is giving his own presentation. Sometime later, both will give subsequent presentations, which will be video taped trailing the original.

Once this is all done, after a dozen or so sales people going through the process, I am handed a stack of DVs. These I capture into VT4 through a sony deck, clip to length and then send them off to be compressed for cd..

The issues are many but one of the biggies is audio/video sync. The second clip invariably looses the sync. We are reusing old tapes and who knows where the tape was left off at so this isnt a surprise. However, anything more complicated than push record will baffle them.

The above usually is from one camera, but not always. More and more well probably have two cameras rolling, and from time to time weve had up to five.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can pull off the above is an easy workflow. Is there any pieces of equipment that would help, any ideas

PIZAZZ
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I would either record with a TriCaster, VT, or 3Play the cameras so the video is already file based and then manipulate as needed.

Maybe record to SpeedEdit via the Firewire input and put onto a SAN for editing.
We could create a super simple version of SpeedEdit for you with a big PUSH ME To Record button.

If you record in the DVtype2 format, Windows Media Player can be used for them to watch the files in the other room. Again using the SAN for shared central storage.

you also could put in a setup of PTZ cameras back into a TriCaster for switching and throw some Alien Hand DVE action on them... :)
At least the video quality of the PTZ cameras would be consistant.
check out the BRC300 cameras for SD or the EVID70 for on the cheap SD>

calhoontuna
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Good idea, that'd get rid of much handling, they could take the cds on the way out the door. Now to cajole my boss into some more equipment...

bbeanan
01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I would do what Jef says... some PTZ camera routed back to the editing room... each room has a Tricaster and SpeedEdit system. You capture on TriCaster edit on SpeedEdit and playback to the room on the TriCaster. Once you get the flow down you can chop the record up as it is happening and by the time they finish you could be pretty much edited... then using the second monitor output on SpeedEdit you could play back the edit right from the timeline.

...and yes it is very possible I did a simular project a few months ago (real time editing and output)