PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for tools - radial quick clone

Karmacop
09-05-2003, 12:37 AM
A real time cloning tool but for radial clones. I'd want it the same as lather where you could have a y-axis offset to create spirals and even a start radius, end radius, start scale, end scale to make it even more useful. The start and ens scale would also be useful for the other quick clone thing I've shown. Also, a tool similar to these could be added to layout for even more possibilities.

Please note these are ideas and not functioning plugins.

Matt
09-05-2003, 02:42 AM
I think there are LScripts to do this already but I would much prefer it built into LW with nice onscreen feedback - something an LScript _can't_ do!

Nice one Karmacop!

Dodgy
09-05-2003, 02:50 AM
I'd like to see all the tools written to give real time feedback, like the mirror and lathe tools already do... Can't be that hard?

fxnut
09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
I'd like to see all the tools written to give real time feedback

Personally, I wouldn't!:D It's fine if you're using some of the visual tools on less than say, 5000 polys, but when your poly counts get really high it just locks up and usability goes to zero.

Unless...
...what would be good is if Newtek put in something to limit the tool visualisation by polygon count (a bit like the poly threshold settings in the Layout Display settings). Either that, or put the tool manipulation on a different thread to the drawing of the polys, so at least the usability wouldn't fall, but the refresh rate of the poly drawing would.

I think (hope) that either of these options should nestle in right behind the SDK as well, with no-one needing to re-write plugins. I guess it could be a problem though if a tool relied on it. But it would just mean that any plugin writers would have to make sure they provided a dialog interface as well.

Maybe they've already done it for LW8.

Regards

Andy

Valter
09-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I like it. LW need more handles for tools ;)

cya

zardoz
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
snap for everything...pictrix style...lathe, mirror, bend, etc. with snap and guides for more control.

after looking at the tools developed by pictrix Newtek can't just release lightwave 9 without the same or better snapping tools...

jeremyhardin
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
excellent feature request! agreed totally! :thumbsup: