PDA

View Full Version : Physical dimensions of a created object

m906
01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Ok stupid question from a newbie: Where do I find the physical dimensions of an object that I've created? I don't want the poly or point count. I just need to know how big something is.

Thanks much.

:help:

Twisted_Pixel
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
If it's a fairly basic size you want, you can line the object up with the grid and count squares. (Grid size shown in bottom left corner.)

If you are after more accurate measuring have a look for the Measure tool (Ctrl + E, by default I believe)

m906
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Gotcha--thanks. I didn't know if there was a dimensions palette somewhere that displayed that info. The prob is when you zoom in/out the grid lines scale too, so you have to really pay attention to the Grid divisions window in the lower left corner.

I found the Measure tool which will prob be the quickest way to find dimensions. Could it be any more complicated to find simple physical size? :-P

Thanks again.

Twisted_Pixel
01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Good to hear you can get sorted.

4dartist
01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
This won't give you the overall size, but it's handy to just put your mouse in a viewport at any point and look at the lower left and see what distance it reads.

Sometimes easy way to find distances without busting out the measure tool.

prometheus
01-22-2010, 05:42 AM
You can also use the absolute size tool under modify/more

that will give you an good idea of the dimensions of the object
also selecting two or more points will give you the distance between them using
the same tool- absolute size.
I feel this is more easier and accurate to use than measure.

Michael

Ratboy
01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
There's also the Bounding Box tool. Just don't hit OK on the dialog box it pops up, or it'll replace your model with a box...