PDA

View Full Version : james cameron kills a man! wow!

jin choung
01-21-2010, 01:59 AM
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/feature/man-died-after-watching-avatar/story-e6frfnv0-1225821333043

now THAT'S entertainment!

jin

Mr Rid
01-21-2010, 02:58 AM
I felt pretty sick myself by the end of it. I actually have an odd neuro-illogical problem and 3 hours of Imax 3D was not helping.

jin choung
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM
I felt pretty sick myself by the end of it. I actually have an odd neuro-illogical problem and 3 hours of Imax 3D was not helping.

yep... there's a non-negligible percentage of the population for whom stereo cinema is not gonna be any kind of fun.

jin

Mr Rid
01-21-2010, 03:16 AM
yep... there's a non-negligible percentage of the population for whom stereo cinema is not gonna be any kind of fun.

jin

Yes. I really didnt notice the 3D after about 10 minutes into Avatar, but I did notice the uncomfortable way the glasses were pinching my skull the entire time, along with lens splotches causing shifting focus. The 3D seemed more effective when I saw an all CG movie like Monster vs Aliens, and the image did not seem to suffer from the dimming factor so much.

jin choung
01-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Yes. I really didnt notice the 3D after about 10 minutes into Avatar, but I did notice the uncomfortable way the glasses were pinching my skull the entire time. The 3D seemed more effective when I saw an all CG movie like Monster vs Aliens, and the image did not seem to suffer from the dimming factor so much.

did you see avatar in dolby3D?

those things SUCK.... absorbs light like crazy and it even catches reflections... FROM THE SCREEN!

realD have a MUUUUUCH better process and lighter, cheap glasses that they frequently give to you to take home if you want. they look like horn rimmed sunglasses.

my guess is you saw it either in dolby or active shutter. do you remember?

if you didn't see it in realD, you should. just to compare.

jin

parazis
01-21-2010, 03:53 AM
I think it is not quite correct to put such a name for a thread. It tastes hmm... stinky

Matt
01-21-2010, 05:40 AM
When I watched Avatar it messed with my head in some parts, and I don't suffer from headaches or issues with flashing imagery etc.

This was at a RealD cinema too.

Makes you wonder though, what the legals are on this, I never saw any warnings for those that might go nuts from watching 3D.

But then, where do you stop? Do you put warnings on films that are too scary? Actually, has there been a case of someone literally being scared to death watching a movie?

dsol
01-21-2010, 05:55 AM
But then, where do you stop? Do you put warnings on films that are too scary? Actually, has there been a case of someone literally being scared to death watching a movie?

I'm sure there has. But usually these people have pre-existing conditions, and could have just as easily been killed by a balloon popping or a door slamming near them ;)

I found this gem on wikipedia:
1989: Ole Bentzen, a Danish audiologist, died of laughter while watching the movie A Fish Called Wanda. His heart rate went between 250-500 beats per minute and eventually succumbed to cardiac arrest.

Matt
01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Fatal laughter, what a way to go if any, LOLOLOLOLLeurgh, arrrrrrgh, LOL .... bump.

Matt
01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
1989: Ole Bentzen, a Danish audiologist, died of laughter while watching the movie A Fish Called Wanda. His heart rate went between 250-500 beats per minute and eventually succumbed to cardiac arrest.

I was going to suggest it might not have been laughter, but then I remembered, Jamie Lee Curtis never got her jugs out in that film.

:D

JamesCurtis
01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
My concern is that this opens up a can of worms regarding potential lawsuits. But clearly, if there was a pre-existing condition before hand, then it could have happened any time and anywhere. Cameron's not at fault.

Matt
01-21-2010, 07:44 AM
My concern is that this opens up a can of worms regarding potential lawsuits. But clearly, if there was a pre-existing condition before hand, then it could have happened any time and anywhere. Cameron's not at fault.

I agree, the key point here is that he had a pre-condition. It's not like the film made a completely healthy man die.

probiner
01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I never saw any warnings for those that might go nuts from watching 3D.

I thought we were all nuts, after seeing 3D. I was warned before i was intruduced to LW :D

Anyway, may the man rest in peace.

shrox
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Fatal laughter, what a way to go if any, LOLOLOLOLLeurgh, arrrrrrgh, LOL .... bump.

Maybe it's a gene. Perhaps dyslexia arose as a defence against written material that was too funny, but a visual equivalent hasn't evolved yet.

jasonwestmas
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I know I get an ill feeling after something totally excites my emotions, but I didn't get that feeling while watching Avatar. Poor guy.

hrgiger
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I only saw the regular version but still want to see the 3D version. Am I staring death in the face by doing so?

cresshead
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/feature/man-died-after-watching-avatar/story-e6frfnv0-1225821333043

now THAT'S entertainment!

jin

what utter stuff n nonsense...was it written by women?:devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zc9uUEmcJ8

crashnburn
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I suffer from the flashing lights thing etc, so I better stay away from 3d, don't want to be a statistic!

dandeentremont
01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
How did they even find this out? Did his family go to the newspapers and scream that Avatar Killed him?

cresshead
01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree, the key point here is that he had a pre-condition. It's not like the film made a completely healthy man die.

if your a ultra heavy smoker your not gonna go freediving are you....

survival of the fittest in action...nothing more...move along move along:D

IMI
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM

I can sympathize. I about died laughing watching that movie and still almost do every time I watch it again. One of these days... :D

*Pete*
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I can sympathize. I about died laughing watching that movie and still almost do every time I watch it again. One of these days... :D

That movie has potential, for sure...any chance to have it translated into korean?

I hear kim il (whatever, leader of northkorea) loves movies...

robertoortiz
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
To be honest there is something quite fishy about this story...
This was run on a chinese newspaper, and there is no way to verify the source.

Also, diint China told FOX that the 3D version of Avatar had to be pulled becuase of a Confucius film?

And wouldnt it be in their interest to create a "health scare" with the 3D version of the film?

geothefaust
01-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I actually get seriously bad head aches from 3D films. When I was watching Coraline in 3D, I got the worst headache I've ever had, and nothing I could do would stop it. It finally went away the next day after lots of sleep, ibuprofen and alcohol.

I wont be watching another 3D movie that's for sure. :eek:

Anyway I can see this actually happening to someone, but, in this case I suppose without verifiable evidence... We'll never know.

Jin, the title of this thread is effing hilarious. I laughed when I saw it and then read the article, lol.

Tom Wood
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Not directly related, but this reminded me of a great scene in Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion where a character dies laughing.

WCameron
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
James Cameron, a director so mean he once killed a man who watched his movie. With his movie.

- Will.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I actually get seriously bad head aches from 3D films...

Yup. Up was my first. Avatar will likely be my last.

jin choung
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Jin, the title of this thread is effing hilarious. I laughed when I saw it and then read the article, lol.

thank you... dialectical humor was the intent.

jin

erikals
01-22-2010, 03:01 AM
it was kinda funny, in a way...
strange how different people react, i sat darn close to the screen, and the screen was HUGE, saw it in realD too,... but nope, sometimes i had to remind myself "erik, you ARE watching 3D"

i wish the effect was greater. somehow.

lwaddict
01-22-2010, 07:21 AM
What funny is how most people aren't asking question about this new technology before they strap it on and ride it out for a couple hours.

I, myself, and lots of my friends have written it off due to headaches, upset stomachs, and more...

Doesn't matter which type of 3D it was either...

Fact is that it wasn't fully tested before being thrown at the public, but oh well... jokes and comments about the weak abound.

Same thing happens with new drugs until you hear about how it's got some long term affects and you've been on it. :P

warmiak
01-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I saw the movie in my local theater , they are using something called RealDŽ Digital 3D.

Normally I am not much into wearing glasses or any special contraptions but I was actually amazed how comfortable the whole experience was for me ...