PDA

View Full Version : IES lights

Richard Hebert
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I've downloaded some .ies files for photometric lights. Problems arise when I change the parameters in the Light Properties window. When adjusting the brightness, zoom and distance, I see no difference in the renders. I'm using a Mac and I'm wondering if this part of the UI was fully implemented. Thanks for any ideas.

Richard

ramccombe
01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Richard, I just tried using an IES light and it seems to work as expected here. I'm using 9.6UB on a PPC with 10.4.11. The file I used was from Lithonia Lighting. Hope this helps.

Richard Hebert
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I just went to Lithonia's site and downloaded their files and same result. Changes to the photometric properties not reflected in the render. I'm using 9.6 on a non-Intel Mac PPC. Anybody else run across this?

Richard

ramccombe
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
The only thing I could suggest is a fresh set of preference files. I've had strange behavior with different tools and a new set of prefs has helped. Hope this helps. As you can see I'm on a PPC as well, though I might be running an older OS.:stumped:

Richard Hebert
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm running tiger 10.4.11 so I'm going to look into the preferences possibility. In the meantime, I'm creating some Gobos in Photoshop to use with the spotlights to create a photometric look. Thanks for the tip. I'll post results when I've had a chance to delve into it.

Richard

Richard Hebert
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
OK, just threw LW 9 preferences away and the problem remains. I've managed to get some control over the photometric light size by changing the size of the light source but still can't get control over the beam spread or the distance. Will keep plugging away until something else presents itself.

Richard

ramccombe
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi Richard, I just got home and checked again and you are correct, they don't affect the render. I clearly saw the properties panel change and assumed the render changed. I only made subtle changes on my early test and obviously hallucinated the render change. Today I made radical changes in the properties panel and there was no change in render. This looks like a bug.

Richard Hebert
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
AHAA! So... I'm not crazy after all! Well, it's probably been addressed in Core. In the interim, I'm making adjustments by changing the light size and intensity. Better than nothing at all at this point.

Richard

Snosrap
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey fellas you may know this so please my apologies. But when using IES lights the light view is not necessarily looking through the light. You need to check the "Show In OpenGL" button in the lights properties panel and position the light using that reference. Sorry if you already know this - but you never know, plus I'm on Windows so maybe it is borked on the Mac.

Richard Hebert
01-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the response. The problem lies not in positioning the light but rather adjusting its attributes in the photometric light tab. The changes are reflected in the thumbnail view but are not reflected in the rendered image. Everything else (openGL) works fine.

Richard

Snosrap
01-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the response. The problem lies not in positioning the light but rather adjusting its attributes in the photometric light tab. The changes are reflected in the thumbnail view but are not reflected in the rendered image. Everything else (openGL) works fine.Richard

I understand now, although those settings are meant to only reflect how the thumbnail in previewed. The very nature of Photometric light data provided by manufactures is that this how the light will react using their fixtures, to be able to make adjustments defeats their purpose. In LW we can adjust intensity, color, quality and position of the light and that's it, everything else is controlled by the IES file and cannot be adjusted.

Richard Hebert
01-23-2010, 12:02 PM
That sounds good but then why have the adjustments tab in the photometric box if modifications can't be made? Just an observation.

Richard

Snosrap
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
That sounds good but then why have the adjustments tab in the photometric box if modifications can't be made? Just an observation.

Richard

Yeah, probably falls into the "because they could" category. The preview is great, however to be able to control that preview has limited uses IMO.

Richard Hebert
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL! Yeah, sounds like 'BTC' for sure. Thanks for the insight.