PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for tools - quick clone

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 11:56 PM
A real time cloning tool

evenflcw
09-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Looks more like an array to me :)

Whatever one may call it, I like it. I wan't more intactivity and blue guides in Modeler. It would be nice if it could do abit more than just a straight linear array. I would be good if it could do "rail cloning" aswell so we wouldn't have to have a separate tool for that. It would work sortof like Magic bevel where you first draw out a curve and it adds a clone by every node. Later you can edit the nodes or add more just like with magicbevel, with options for orientation, rotation (preferably individually for every node) and all that.

EDIT: Just looked at your radial clone request. I say fuse them together with lotsa options in the numerics panel!

Karmacop
09-05-2003, 01:13 AM
That's a good idea evenflcw, I'd like to see that implemented too. :)

I personally hate the fusing of tools. I'd rather click on radial clone or linear clone as I know what each is doing. Maybe this is just my personal oppinion but I'd like to keep the tools seperate.

pauland
09-05-2003, 02:16 AM
Thumbs up for your ideas. Just goes to show how much of a rut modeller is stuck in. I'd be happy to see both tools in one, provided they are easy to switch between.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Paul

Matt
09-05-2003, 02:27 AM
I'd like to see more layout tools also with interactivity feedback on the UI in Modeler.

Same goes for Layout, some of these tools would be nice . . .

Nemoid
09-05-2003, 03:19 PM
also some sort of interactive random cloning,
like painting them would be nice

Earl
09-05-2003, 03:28 PM
I definitely like this!

And hopefully someday we can have persistant tools in LW. That way, you can go back to your Magic Bevel (or your clone tool thing) and still edit the nodes. I hate losing the advantages of tools like Magic Bevel and bezier splines as soon as I deselect the tool. :(

evenflcw
09-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Yes, that would be nice. But perhaps impossible at this time. Instead maybe these tools could be made to pick up a spline in the background layer or something. Nodes would be placed where the points in the spline are. All tools using this system would ofcourse have to be able to spit out a curve along with the geometry. I guess we'll need a new and improved spline guide aswell, that can loop itself aswell as treat freestanding meshes like rigid parts.