PDA

View Full Version : Line drawing renders possible

DHudson
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi- My client has asked me to render a room I have designed for him to look like a line drawing.

Is this possible? Thank you ...

DHudson

nickdigital
01-20-2010, 10:25 AM
You could render your objects with edge and silhouette lines. You can turn them on in the Object Properties tab. You could also use the Unreal Shader to generate lines but the Object Properties tab will probably give you want you want.

DHudson
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Thank you Nickdigital, I will try that. I see in the Objects Properties box, there is a tab called Edges... inside that I see Sillhouette Edges, Unshaved Edges, Sharp Creases, Surface Borders, and Other Edges.

Which do you suggest I use?
Thank you so much...

DHudson

nickdigital
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Kinda depends on your model.

Silhouette edges will draw a line around your object. Surface border edges draw a line in-between your different surface groups. I find that one is easy to use as it's predictable and easy to control. Unshared edges is based on you having geometry where the edges are un-merged. Those work well too but it involves you cutting/pasting your geometry. You could get the same result by using a different surface group. Plus cutting/pasting geometry wouldn't really work if you have sub'd objects.

I don't use the two other options much as I don't usually need to. I think the other edges options draws a line wherever there's a line so you'd be getting a full-wireframe look which I'm guessing is not what you want. You want more of a stylized ink pen drafting look versus showing off your geometry. If you find LW edges not drawing exactly the way you want the Unreal plug-in works well. The silhouette edges in Unreal are sometimes cleaner and more predictable.

DHudson
01-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I wonder if I am missing something in rendering this image .. I have chosen the Silhouette Edges and Surface borders. Made them 5 pixels each (no idea of what it should be) ... and hit render. There are just a couple black lines showing. Is there another setting I am missing?

Thank you so much for your help...

DHudson

Kuzey
01-21-2010, 06:20 AM
I haven't tried it myself, but have you seen this thread..there should be a few more around:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89592

or...if you just want to render the wireframe, then you can try polygon coloring (http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)

I think it would help if you showed an example of the effect you're after.

Kuzey

nickdigital
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Can you post an image? Are you not seeing enough line work? Do you have enough surfaces to generate the lines that you want or is your object just one surface?

I wonder if I am missing something in rendering this image .. I have chosen the Silhouette Edges and Surface borders. Made them 5 pixels each (no idea of what it should be) ... and hit render. There are just a couple black lines showing. Is there another setting I am missing?

Thank you so much for your help...

DHudson

DHudson
01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Can you post an image? Are you not seeing enough line work? Do you have enough surfaces to generate the lines that you want or is your object just one surface?

Hello - Here is the render I made with choosing Silhouette Edges and Surface Borders set at 3.0 pixels.

You can see there are lots of surfaces, but this doesn't look like an illustration.

What do I need to do to make it look like one?

Thank you so much for the help.
DHudson

nickdigital
01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "look like an illustration"?

Do you want lines on everything?

Are there multiple objects in the scene? Do you have edge lines on everything? It looks like you have edge lines on only some objects.

DHudson
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
You are so right, Nickdigital ... I do want an outline on all objects and duh me forgot to select each object. Such a noobie I am!

I am attaching the new render. Its looking more like an illustration, I would love for it to look even more like one. I guess it would work better for me if it looked more like it was drawn in Illustrator. Almost 2D? Hard to describe.

Thanks you so much again for your help.

DHudson

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Try the Cel shaders...I think there might be one or two, I haven't played with it for sometime.

Surface editor/shaders tab/add shader and add "super cel shader" from the list.

Kuzey

nickdigital
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
It looks like you need to create more surface groups. Have you tried turning on the other edge options? You're only using silhouette and surface borders right? The other options will probably start drawing more lines for you. Your geometry is pretty architectural so you could try unwelding the polygons in your geometry. This way you know that a line will draw when you have unshared edges on. The problem I find with unwelding geometry is that if you need to modify the geometry it makes editing a bit more difficult. You can't simply select a polygon and move it as you'll pull that polygon off your geometry.

Getting lines to draw can sometimes be a game of mixing different techniques to get them to draw right. Your scene is definitely possible though.

If you're looking for a really graphical look you could try doing what Kuzey said and use the cel shader. I don't use it much at work as I just crank up my surfaces to 100% luminous and 0% diffuse. Sometimes going 50/50 with lum/diffuse will boost your colors but still give you some lighting and shading. You're drawing has a lot of shading in it now so it's not making it look like a draftsman made it. But this is all depending on what you and the client want.

You might wanna just concentrate on getting your lines to all draw where you want first.

DHudson
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
ok- thank you guys for all your help. I will try the cell shading Kuzey and look through your thoughts Nickdigital.

This has to be one of the most helpful forums around. Much appreciated!