PDA

View Full Version : A few simple screamer net questions

sublimationman
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
OK so I got a Mac Mini networked up to my iMac and using a setup tutorial by Dan Sollis (thanks Dan :thumbsup:. I might suggest a few additions to your tutorial if you want) and DLI Snub launcher I and now rendering my second image (first one had a glitch).

Anyway when using screamer net on a network machine is it necessary to have Layout running on the main machine? I suspect not but thought I would ask.

Next, is there anyway to see a time remaining estimate on the screamer net machine? I see the "frame 1, segment 2/11, pass 22/24" thing but wondered if there were anything better than that?

My renders take anywhere from a few hours to a few days and it would be nice to see some sort of time estimate like you do when rendering from Layout.

Oh and one more thing. I heard somewhere that you should run an instance of screamer net for each processor, my Mini is a Core 2 Duo so should I be running more than one instance of screamer net on it? Running just one, activity monitor shows both CPU usage at 100% almost all the time so it's hard to believe it would be faster running more than one?!?!?
Thanks!

Scazzino
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
...Anyway when using screamer net on a network machine is it necessary to have Layout running on the main machine? I suspect not but thought I would ask.

No.

Next, is there anyway to see a time remaining estimate on the screamer net machine? I see the "frame 1, segment 2/11, pass 22/24" thing but wondered if there were anything better than that?

No.

Oh and one more thing. I heard somewhere that you should run an instance of screamer net for each processor, my Mini is a Core 2 Duo so should I be running more than one instance of screamer net on it? Running just one, activity monitor shows both CPU usage at 100% almost all the time so it's hard to believe it would be faster running more than one?!?!?

It depends. Right now it's one instance using multiple threads. Using multiple instances with single threads can sometimes be slightly faster, but would require double the memory for two instances... In short you'd need to run some tests on your content...

Here's the section in my Mac ScreamerNet white paper that discusses multithreading...
http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#Multithreading

sublimationman
01-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Great, thanks!