PDA

View Full Version : Best way to run Windows on a Mac

Paul Goodrich
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi,

I just got a 8 core Intel Mac and want to set up the ability to run windows on it. Parallels, Boot Camp or should I just install Windows on an internal drive? I've got a G4 Mac mini with Virtual PC for the Mac and a Intel Mac Mini with Boot Camp on it. What does everyone think is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Paul Goodrich

OlaHaldor
01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Let me makes this clear for you :)

Parallels will make Windows available as a virtual PC inside the Mac OS installation. You can run this virtual PC in windowed mode or full screen.

Boot Camp is a wizard to help you to partition and format a hard drive, it's not something you run like Parallels in order to get into Windows.

I prefer to do it with Boot Camp. That makes a normal installation of Windows, so you have a 'dual boot', which means that you can choose whether to boot Mac OS or Windows.

When you have formatted a hard drive and made it ready for installation of Windows, all you do is insert the Windows DVD, reboot and follow the instructions like you would on any other PC.

Normally Mac OS will boot upon pushing the ON button on your Mac. To select another installation of either Mac OS or Windows, press and hold the ALT key until you see a menu with the choices you have.

Good luck! :)

sublimationman
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I second the Boot Camp method.

toby
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Considering that you have to restart to switch from windows to osx and back with boot camp, why do you prefer it? I guess it depends on how often you want to use windows, but I'd prefer parallels

OlaHaldor
01-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Parallels has never worked for me. Never. And I found the support to be somewhat generic and not so helpful.

It was like "my car has a flat tire, how do I change it?"
and the reply is "park the car", but it doesn't tell me something I don't know. That's why. :)

And I like to be in a "clean" and "natural" environment. If I'm going to work with heavy windows stuff (Like converting STEP or IGES files to LWO with Moi3D) I like to know that the Mac is using all its power to do this instead of thinking about what Finder or Safari or maybe something more processor intensive application is doing at the moment.

But then again, I have a MacBook as well, so I do some little stuff there if I really need Mac OS while I'm in Windows on the Mac Pro.

toby
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Ah good to know. I should've stipulated that I haven't used either yet, and also curious to know the best way to go about it.
Thanks

PeteS
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Parallels are en emulator running through MAC. It also caps off the memory that is usable. Sooo...you are actually running a system through system, with limits.

Now bootcamp will let you run Windows native, giving you much more power....and 3D needs power.

toby
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Good reason, but I'm not planning to do 3d in windows, just the occasional utility app.

Anybody know about installing linux on intel macs? Do you need Boot camp for that too?

gpdesigner
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
In my opinion Bootcamp is the way to go.
I don't know too much about Parralells, so I can't speak on it, but I run Bootcamp on my Mac pro Quad and I love it. I dedicated a 400gig HD for the XP installation so I don't have to worry about Windows installing it's tenticles on the rest of my Mac drives. ( it's contained). If I am doing a PC specific project then I boot in XP, if not I boot in Mac.

Considering that you have to restart to switch from windows to osx and back with boot camp, why do you prefer it? I guess it depends on how often you want to use windows, but I'd prefer parallels

The boot process isn't hard, you just push the power button and hold the option key.
Switching back and forth between OS's while on a project isn't really proficient anyway . . . if you are doing this then you need to re-evaluate your work methods. To me you are either in one OS or the other. If you have to have Both OS's running at the same time . . . Buy another computer.
gp

toby
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
No it's not 'hard' but I'd rather not constantly have to shut down all the apps I'm working in. And buy another computer just to run a few tools or play a pc flash game? I don't think so.

gpdesigner
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
No it's not 'hard' but I'd rather not constantly have to shut down all the apps I'm working in. And buy another computer just to run a few tools or play a pc flash game?? I don't think so.

That's just a question of time management . . . you're either working or your playing . . . or you never get anything finished?
Parralells is fine, it must be doing something right or it wouldn't be on the market.

I just like the idea of having the Microsoft infectuous monster isolated on a single drive were my Mac can keep an eye on it . . lol
gp

toby
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
I just like the idea of having the Microsoft infectuous monster isolated on a single drive were my Mac can keep an eye on it . . lol
gp
you do have a good point there.

RonGC
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I use both, bootcamp and Parralells with XP. Bootcamp for Apps that need the full power of my Mac and parralells for running some usefull little utility windows apps.

The nice thing about paralells is that it runs on your OSX desktop, no need to reboot, and seamlessly shares files, it works very well but is not as fast as XP in Bootcamp. Wouldn't be good for games or 3d.
Version 5 is a lot faster than previous versions though. You can download a 15 day free Paralells trial, thats the way i did it to see if it met my needs before purchasing,

Never had any problems with either methods.

Ron

probiner
01-25-2010, 02:18 AM
There is also http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, but i have not tested it yet in depth, so it's not a recomendation, just saying it is avaible. It works like VMWare Worskstation if im not mistaken. You got to have a special 'image file' of the disk that i havent understand really well yet, that will 'boot' the operating system in a window.

Cheers

seangreenhalgh
01-25-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm on the mac. I'd probably go with bootcamp, parrallels would hog your cpu something fierce i would expect.

Captain Obvious
01-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Parallels are en emulator running through MAC. It also caps off the memory that is usable.
Parallels is NOT an emulator in the least! It's a virtual machine. Because of the abstraction between a virtual machine and the hardware, getting things like GPU acceleration can be tricky, but any CPU-only code will run at the same exact speed inside a virtual machine as in a non-virtual one, minus of course the overhead of having to run two operating systems at the same time.

Soth
02-12-2010, 03:54 AM
I want to buy Mac Pro and I will move my 4 discs RAID to it, would I be able to run OSX and WIndows 7 from RAID?

I am aware that I will have reformat the drivers, will do backup.

toby
02-12-2010, 04:40 AM
A friend found this tool which lets you run Windows apps, *in osx*, without Parallels, and... "without needing a Microsoft operating system license"
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
But save before you try it, he had a kernel panic while showing it to me!

Cutman
02-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Walt tests latest VMWare vs Parallels:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100210/parallels-fusion-windows-on-macs/

I use Bootcamp for my forays into the sludge that is Vista. I must get round to installing Parallels which I've had for months and not installed it. I'm going to use it to get around some LW plugins being PC only such as the Blender Fluids to LW plugin.