PDA

View Full Version : Layer problems

mitcho
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm new to LW, just learning it. I find the layer selection process confusing, but beyond that, how can I insert some polygons into an existing layer,or can I?

I run a dual 2.7 Mac G5 under OSX 10.5.8 though I don't believe that's particularly relevant to my problem.

Markc
01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
You can copy and paste from the edit menu (from one layer to the next)

toby
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Sounds like you haven't read the manual.

mitcho
01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't actually have a printed manual, only a PDF one and it wasn't particularly helpful. However, since getting the 3D Garage training video and working through it the problem is solved. i have to say, after working with Maya for a while I find the LW interface and controls very counter intuitive. Just my take.

toby
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Chapter 2 of the Modeler manual is all about the interface and you'll find more there than what's in a video.

Maya's more powerful but Lightwave is more intuitive to someone who hasn't learned a 3d package yet. You'll pick it up quickly.

sublimationman
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Layers come in extremely handy. When you have a complex object it can be difficult to see parts or edit certain details because of too much "stuff" in the way. Layers allows you to put pieces on a separate layer to work on and you can either view it on it's own, with the other parts in the background (black wires) or view everything together.

It's akin to the old cell animation where you have cells (onion skin) one on top of the other so you can see your work underneath while working on the top.

Each layer is just like the others, you can draw out objects from scratch in each, copy and paste between layers and such.

mitcho
01-21-2010, 09:58 AM
i absolutely agree as to the utility of layers, I just question the manner in which they are implemented in LW. In general, I think the whole interface of LW is due for a major make-over. I particularly find the navigation tools in Layout to be clumsy in the extreme. There should also be much greater synchronization between the keyboard shortcuts in Modeler and in Layout. Why should one have to learn two different and often conflicting sets in what are essentially twin applications?

toby
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I felt the same way about Maya when I was learning it. You gotta get used to it before you judge it.