PDA

View Full Version : Render to Flash Vector Image Format

Tom Wood
01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm currently rendering out PNG images, which are bitmap. Is there a way to render out a vector image format from LightWave that can be imported into Flash? I'm using LW 8.5.

nickdigital
01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
There's Swift3D. But it's a 3rd party plug-in.
http://www.erain.com/Products/Plug-ins/

Speedmonk42
01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Is there a reason to use the Vector? PNGs work great in Flash.

I found the output varied tremendously on what you were making.

It may be much better to do it post.

Tom Wood
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks nick, I'm looking at Swift.

Speedmonk - Yeah, PNGs look great as long as the SWF is shown in its native size. But if the user were to enlarge it to fullscreen, or some random size in between, PNGs don't scale well compared to vector images. I can use the 'trace bitmap' tool in Flash and set the minimum area to 1 pixel in order to retain my shading, but it seems clumsy. Maybe that's just the best way for now.

BeeVee
01-25-2010, 02:39 PM
That *is* the best way - or going through an intermediate step like Illustrator. Also, use one of the celshading methods in LightWave to make sure you limit the palette to make the autotrace easier and work better.

B

Tom Wood
01-25-2010, 05:11 PM
That *is* the best way - or going through an intermediate step like Illustrator. Also, use one of the celshading methods in LightWave to make sure you limit the palette to make the autotrace easier and work better.

B

Thanks BeeVee,

My stuff is nicely 3D shaded with some subtle tones, which gives it a unique look that sets it apart from other Flash cartoons. Downside is the issue I now have, so it's a compromise. The trace bitmap increases the file size by a factor of ten, so I think I'll stick to the bitmaps for now.

Tom Wood
01-25-2010, 06:17 PM
One other method I've tried is to make the original PNG images, FLA stage, and resulting SWF at twice the size of the website embed code attributes for height and width. The files are a little bit bigger, but you can zoom one step and retain smooth artwork. Is there a downside to this?

Speedmonk42
01-25-2010, 09:42 PM
You could also have actionscript detect the size at which it is being viewed and load the appropriate assets.

It is really a performance issue, if the frame rate holds up with the larger assets then it's only the file size you need to worry about.

Sekhar
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks nick, I'm looking at Swift.

I have this plugin, and it works great if the detail is low. Note though that if you're using LW 9.x, you will need to put all your objects in one layer in Layout. Also, they haven't updated the plugin since Feb 2007.

neuromancer
01-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Is there any new plugin or tool into LW to export a render to a vector format? Illustrator, flash, eps...

Swift3d its great but doesnt works with LW10, and I need to use Shift Camera for some perspectives.

It would be nice that newtek will implement this kind of tool into LW.

Any idea or sugestion to solve this problem?

BeeVee
01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Like I say earlier, exporting to Illustrator and doing an autotrace there *is* the best way.

B

neuromancer
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Like I say earlier, exporting to Illustrator and doing an autotrace there *is* the best way.

B

Thanks, I've tried with illustrator importing the render(a png image) and using image trace in illustrator, but the result is awful.

The render is a simple edge render, all white except the edge. Im doing something wrong?

BeeVee
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
What settings did you use in the Autotracer? It has many presets. If all you have is a mono image, then using the simplest preset is probably the best idea, but you can always play with the options if that's not exactly right.

B

neuromancer
02-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Ive tried with several settings but that is the best I can get. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong.
Should I change something in LW render? thicker lines for example.

Last picture is the original render.

neuromancer
02-01-2013, 03:56 AM
I've tried with Corel Draw X6 and the result is almost perfect. With higher resolution render you get better results.

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 04:50 AM
Definitely, the larger you can make the raster render, the less work the autotracer has to do.

B

JoePoe
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
that last image looks good. or is that the render before processing?

If you are still having issues.....(I used the little jpg from your post.)
128 isn't enough. Bump up threshold..... click preview and try 5/10 step increments til you're happy with result. I didn't play with it too much... just went straight to 200.
Remember, although you definitely need to go higher, huge numbers aren't always best. Sometimes 185 will be better than 210.
Result is second image (I didn't bother to take out that diagonal line).

.ai file attached

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/Picture500_zpse17be80e.png
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/Autotrace_01_zps085a3369.png

neuromancer
02-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Thank you!! works better than my try, but finally I solved with Corel Draw, works better as you can see: