PDA

View Full Version : work smarter, not harder

rednova
01-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Dear Friends:

I am a hobbyist animator. A long time ago I decided to work really hard at learning animation and art. I was really happy with this, because it meant I will become a better artist.
Then, today I was watching a movieFX video magazine, which has features on work by major FX businesses. One of the modelmaking leaders, talking about his work on models on motion pictures, said they seek to 'work smarter, not harder'. Imagine how I felt about that...when my original plan was to work hard forever to excel in the arts. I guess hard work is still good for me...but I see that I also need to put smart work before hard work.
Any opinions?

rednova

Oedo 808
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
This is a nice and cheesy old catchphrase, but the two are not mutually exclusive. You want my advice, try to do both.

biliousfrog
01-19-2010, 01:59 AM
You have to put the hours in at the start to know how to work smarter...it all comes with experience. Once you've got some experience under your belt you'll know where to cut corners and where to spend extra time.

As a very general example, you wouldn't spend hours modelling the back of a building if you only need to see the front. If you're creating an asset for a Nintendo DS game you wouldn't necessarily need to spend hours in ZBrush creating 4k displacement maps.

tischbein3
01-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Imagine how I felt about that...when my original plan was to work hard forever to excel in the arts. I guess hard work is still good for me...but I see that I also need to put smart work before hard work.

Yes and no.

If you want to get things done, use all the tricks and workarounds you can get and use. Learn and aquire all the techniques you can get.

BUT if you model to actually improve yourself:
GO THE HARD WAY FIRST.

Stooch
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
compare it to sculpting. even do a little yourself with some clay.

notice how you sart with a rough shape and then progressiely refine it, and how, you wouldnt want to add fine details until your overall shape isnt ready.

use the same approach with polygons.

Most importantly, apply this concept to ALL cg. because you will find that this idea of levels of control and simplification becomes very important.

JBT27
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
There's nothing wrong with your intent to work hard, presumably by putting the hours in.

Smart is a matter of experience, in modelling, compositing, any of it.

Keep learning, keep practising ..... you have it right :)

Julian.

Dexter2999
01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Just keep putting in the hours till you hit 10,000.

Pesonally, I've found there are times to work smart and times to work hard.

Intuition
01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Ha ha, yeah work Harder, better, faster stronger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgBgnoEY4iM

adamredwoods
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
What if I work so smartly, that I don't have to work at all?

jin choung
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
i disagree.

work hard.

stupid hard.

jin