PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave stability

cc3d
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I've been using Lightwave since the Toaster days, but I am compelled to blow off some steam here:

In modeler, I am in the habit of working like this:

Make change
save
Make change
save
Make change
save
Make change
save

why? Because modeler will crash and will crash often. It's a given. I know it will crash at least once every other work session.

This is not new, I've seen this for a while with Lightwave. it's not specific to one machine, I see it across any of my machines.

Layout will crash too, but not as often. I make sure I am saving constantly there as well.

I see it in the 64 bit version on a 64 bit O/S and likewise with 32 bit on either 64 or 32 bit O/S.

I know NT is busy with Core, but somebody put some work into making things more stable. Of the many applications I use regularly, Lightwave crashes more than any. :thumbsup:

Dexter2999
01-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I can't say that my LW crashes often. Maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough?
It has crashed from time to time. With my luck it always seemed to be when I was right on the verge of some epiphany as to how to pull off something that had been torturing me. The light goes on, click, click, CRASH! #&(*&#*(#*&(!!!!!
So, I save often as well. But seriously, I am running 9.3 (I think) and I haven't had a crash in a couple of weeks and have been using it daily. (Knock on wood).

djlithium
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
For the love of god why are you running 9.3?
I have to say 9.6 on Win7 64bit is incredibly stable. Might want to give that a go.

liquidpope
01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I've been 'wavin' since version 5.6 or so, and have only experienced a small handful of crashes.
9.6 32 bit crashed on me just the other day. I was completely shocked, and thought "that hasn't happened since..." and I couldn't remember the last time.
Pretty dang stable for me.

jasonwestmas
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
There are a few obscure tools and plugins for lightwave 9.6 that do crash if you do something specific but other than that I haven't had much bad luck at all.

JonW
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Layout is fine very rarely crashes, but Modeler crashes all the time. Itís the same here, Make change, Save, Make change, Save, Make change, Save,.....

Itís not as if I have much on the computer as I do everything else on a Mac.

The only things that I have put on the box are: LW, LWcad, Onyx trees, dwg to dxf, adobe reader, PovRay, Mov to Avi, Virtual dub, UPS personal pac solution, Cpuz, just got Kray LW plugin but havenít really tried it yet.

When it crashes, itís either total & Modeler is gone, or more painful is that the mouse curser goes really slow, at least a 100 x slower & if I donít be very patient & End Process via WTM & restart the computer (about a 5 minute procedure), but instead pull the plug, then the computer is even slower to restart.

Iíve just reinstalled LW again. I have it on the HD ready to reinstall. The small consolation I have is that reinstalling it straight from an SSD is blindingly fast. To put it bluntly an SSD is almost worth the price for this situation alone!

Sensei
01-17-2010, 04:28 AM
I see it in the 64 bit version on a 64 bit O/S and likewise with 32 bit on either 64 or 32 bit O/S.

I bet you don't have redirected config directory for each of your LW version..
When it's not redirected, LW crashes a lot too, but once you clean up everything, it will become quite stable as in our machines.

probiner
01-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Make change, Save, Make change, Save, Make change, Save,.....Yup i got that 'hand reflex' in modeler too, but after finding out that hub can save backup files, whenever it crashes it's not so bad anymore =)

Sensei
01-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Even easier if you use TrueArt's LoadBackupObject ;)
That's available to download for free from our website http://www.trueart.eu

toby
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Yup i got that 'hand reflex' in modeler too, but after finding out that hub can save backup files, whenever it crashes it's not so bad anymore =)
Unfortunately the Hub will cause a lot of those crashes!

How many of you have crash-prone setups that use the Hub? How many of yours that are stable use the Hub? Which of you have Jpgs loaded, which of you don't? These are 2 things that I've *always* notice causing instability with LW, whether it's bad enough to cause constant crashes varies from machine to machine. Literally dozens of examples of improved stability by not using either of these things.

But I'm sure there's other things that are responsible for this wide variation - some of us use dynamics, some of us never touch it; same for IK, particles, new scene editor, certain tools, how many 3rd party plugins, etc. The way lw can is used, even to do the same things, can vary greatly from person to person.

But let's see if we can narrow it down a bit and help each other out. What kind of tools do you rely on heavily?

toby
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I forgot what's probably a huge issue - how much ram you typically use, and whether it's polygon or texture memory use, or something else.

And if anyone gains stability from the responses here, PLEASE, PLEASE return the favor and TELL US!

Weetos
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Certain tools are buggy hell, such as edge bevel, which can kill modeler instantly depending on how complex is the selection.

I just hate rounder and edge bevel, they almost never behave as expected (though rounder is a bit more predictable).

As far as I'm concerned, Layout is way more stable (can use it for hours without any crashes).

toby
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I didn't even post my own setup :P

OSX, no Hub, no jpgs, I do mostly lighting/rendering with frequent radiosity and raytracing, fair amount of nodes. I sometimes max out the ram with cc subd's and hi-res maps. Rarely have IK or dynamics.

Stable, very few crashes, most are in Modeler which I don't use often, when I quit and sometimes when changing a viewport to UV.