PDA

View Full Version : Core idea - billboard primitives

jin choung
01-15-2010, 04:44 PM
so been doing some 3d compositing in AE. it can do it but its 3d controls are still clunky, slow and unintuitive. much better to do such things in 3d apps.

problem with 3d apps though is that there is a lot of unnecessary tedium in bringing in image elements for compositing like tasks.

my "revolutionary" solution for core:

- BILLBOARD PRIMITIVES:

*you have an "import image" option but you also have an "import
BILLBOARD" option.

*if you select the import billboard option, it allows you to select an
image (still, sequence or movie file of course) and it automatically
CREATES AND ASSIGNS it a SHADER and a POLYGON that is at the
same aspect ratio of the image itself (and you can have a global
preferences option for multipliers to make them all larger or smaller
times X so they come in correctly for YOUR project).

*also in the global preferences, you can determine the default
shader settings (lumiousity 100%, diffuse 0%, spec 0%, etc). so
you can use them like elements in a comp app or do more fancy
things like camera projection, etc.

*JUST automating this task of having to make a shader and
assigning it a polygon will make core extremely desirable for basic
3D comp or 2.5d applications, right out of the bag.

that alone can set the foundation to take on some of the things that people are doing in NUKE.

you're welcome.

jin

SonicMotion
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree, that feature would be great. As far as after effects goes, are you trying to replace an element with an image and keep the perspective? Does that even make sense?

jin choung
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree, that feature would be great. As far as after effects goes, are you trying to replace an element with an image and keep the perspective? Does that even make sense?

no, it's just a run of the mill composite project but with objects and camera floating in 3d space so you can manipulate Z without just scaling all the layers.

jin

SonicMotion
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
gotcha, I saw a guy trying to replace a sign and keep perspective by using a 3d layer. I should mention he didn't do any 3d tracking. It would have been faster, easier and more accurate to corner pin it.

jin choung
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
gotcha, I saw a guy trying to replace a sign and keep perspective by using a 3d layer. I should mention he didn't do any 3d tracking. It would have been faster, easier and more accurate to corner pin it.

ABSOLUTELY!!! doing it by hand with a 3d card is stupid hard and pointless!

or do it in maya and then export out locators and camera and then import the .ma into AE and align your 3d AE layer with your reference nulls. done.

back when i did a lot of commercial spots, that was hands down the dead simplest way to swap out signage in AE.

jin

Red_Oddity
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Haven't tried yet, but this sounds like a pretty easy (Python) script.

jin choung
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Haven't tried yet, but this sounds like a pretty easy (Python) script.

it's a dead stupid simple idea.

but it should be built in. it's too simple and useful NOT to build it in imo. and if nothing else, they can boast a feature that not even maya has (except for its background planes... but that's not really general purpose like this billboard idea).

jin

tischbein3
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
- BILLBOARD PRIMITIVES:

*you have an "import image" option but you also have an "import
BILLBOARD" option.

*if you select the import billboard option, it allows you to select an
image (still, sequence or movie file of course) and it automatically
CREATES AND ASSIGNS it a SHADER and a POLYGON that is at the
same aspect ratio of the image itself (and you can have a global
preferences option for multipliers to make them all larger or smaller
times X so they come in correctly for YOUR project).

*also in the global preferences, you can determine the default
shader settings (lumiousity 100%, diffuse 0%, spec 0%, etc). so
you can use them like elements in a comp app or do more fancy
things like camera projection, etc.

*JUST automating this task of having to make a shader and
assigning it a polygon will make core extremely desirable for basic
3D comp or 2.5d applications, right out of the bag.

that alone can set the foundation to take on some of the things that people are doing in NUKE.

you're welcome.

jin

1st theres already a motion plugin/script swirling around wich does the automatic alignment in lw since years.

2nd If you want an automated / tool version vor lw 9.6 tell me what you wanna pay for it and I hack it together. it is already implmenteable, and depending on what you want to spend I can implment it faster.

3rd In general I do believe that implementing / keep an eye open for possebilleties) to implment a 2.5D workflow inside the 3D application should allways kept in mind when designing toool workflows (in camera modeling texturing etc)

jin choung
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
1st theres already a motion plugin/script swirling around wich does the automatic alignment in lw since years.

2nd If you want an automated / tool version vor lw 9.6 tell me what you wanna pay for it and I hack it together. it is already implmenteable, and depending on what you want to spend I can implment it faster.

3rd In general I do believe that implementing / keep an eye open for possebilleties) to implment a 2.5D workflow inside the 3D application should allways kept in mind when designing toool workflows (in camera modeling texturing etc)

haha,

thanks! but actually, it's SO simple of a programming project that i could probably do it in lscript too... or mel... say... actually... this might be a great opportunity to do a small but useful bit of programming.

but not everyone can program at any level and newtek would certainly providing value if they included this simple function in core, right out of the box.

jin

jin choung
01-15-2010, 05:32 PM
actually,

it's not as handy to do in lw legacy because you have to save the objects separately... bleeeeuuuugghhh.... now you have to keep track of your original images as well as all this geometry... arghhhh....

do-able but still not nice.

so yah, a good maya script for me to work on and a good idea to build into core.

jin

Pavlov
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
hi, look for "image planes"... it's a Lscript which allows to make correctly proportioned planes with UVmap of selected images (yes, even more than one at once). It works nicely, but i agree this should be implemented by default in CORE.
Even more, i'd like an Image object class itself, without the need of applying an image on a polygon to make a billboard.
In this case, images could be renderable, animatable entities which can be used in scenes simply dragging them in 3D space from image editor. This could also be useful for modeling backdrops and other stuff.

Paolo

Nangleator
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Good idea. Oh, if I could get back all the hours over the years that I did this manually...

And a button for using any alpha channel as transparency, or as a clip map.

tischbein3
01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Actuallly I do know about at least two solutions to implment this wich you wouldn't need to care about any object geometry at all.

And at least two additional ways wich would actually produce saved geometry, but without any need to care about it at all.

but anyway...

Pavlov
01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
opening HV panel, loading clip and tweaking it is not faster than making a rectangle and put an UV on it ;).
There may be other tricky solutions, but afaik none is nearly as fast as dragging a pic in OGL view and get an item out of it.

Paolo

jin choung
01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
opening HV panel, loading clip and tweaking it is not faster than making a rectangle and put an UV on it ;).
There may be other tricky solutions, but afaik none is nearly as fast as dragging a pic in OGL view and get an item out of it.

Paolo

right... it's doable but still ugly.

ooooo... but it's not a bad idea to make the billboard class a derived class of a particle sprite. except of course that the billboard "sprite" would respect aspect ratio of image.

jin

caesar
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Have you tried Apple Motion? That would be dead easy, it can even handle very well tracking videos.
About Core, I think this kind of task should be made like photoshop actions/os x automator: hit the record buttom, create a poly, load the image and apply the image, set the shader, click stop and save as a button or menu command.

tischbein3
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Well actually I would spend the time making a small, very basic volumetric plugin, and interface it via gizmos in opengl. (sure you would have to open a panel for assigning the image.,,,)

lgolden
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
hum,

maybe just like "2D cutout image importer" script bundled with blender?:D

jin choung
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
hum,

maybe just like "2D cutout image importer" script bundled with blender?:D

ooooo.... does it have sucha script? and it respects the aspect ratio of the image that you're bringing in?

niiiiiiiiiiiice.

combine that with its very capable compositor and blender is already very close to a credible nuke competitor!

jin