PDA

View Full Version : Configs - Windows 7

Mr Rid
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Am new to Windows 7 and am unable to change the LW Shortcut target in the usual manner. When I type in a "-c", or "-p", or "-0" I only get a "not valid" error. How do I choose where config files are written to?

When is this obscure way of setting up config filepaths going to change? Why cant a LW install just automatically make a separate config folder for each version of LW installed so we dont have to worry about them overwriting each other anymore, or at least ask where you want it to go during install, or why cant there be a config path in the "paths" menu in Layout? The rules for the shortcut target filepath are far too obscure for something that every user needs to know up front.

wildr3d
01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Am new to Windows 7 and am unable to change the LW Shortcut target in the usual manner. When I type in a "-c", or "-p", or "-0" I only get a "not valid" error. How do I choose where config files are written to?

When is this obscure way of setting up config filepaths going to change? Why cant a LW install just automatically make a separate config folder for each version of LW installed so we dont have to worry about them overwriting each other anymore, or at least ask where you want it to go during install, or why cant there be a config path in the "paths" menu in Layout? The rules for the shortcut target filepath are far too obscure for something that every user needs to know up front.

Hmmm, not sure what issue you're having, I just added a custom path to my desktop shortcut and it works fine. Here's what I use:

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\configs"

I just made this path and the config file wrote out no problem. Before I just had a -0 in the shortcut target field, was working fine no hub applied.
I do find it odd that Windows 7 but the original .cfg in my C:/Users folder.
Still way better that Vista!

Mr Rid
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM

I just made this path and the config file wrote out no problem. Before I just had a -0 in the shortcut target field, was working fine no hub applied.
I do find it odd that Windows 7 but the original .cfg in my C:/Users folder.
Still way better that Vista!

Thanks buddy. I guess I was entering something wrong before because now it is all working. I could not even just add -0 before. I dont know what was going on.

I think you are referring to the way Win 7 does not have a 'Documents and Settings' folder anymore, just a sorta placeholder file with the same name(cant open it), and redirects files to the 'Users' folder now.

Am still fumbling in Win7, but I do thank Zeus that load/save windows now keep file 'details' listed at all times like Windows has never done before (that anyone I ever worked with knew of anyway). Having to select 'details' a thousand times a day when I go to load a file was THE most annoying thing about Windows.

wildr3d
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks buddy. I guess I was entering something wrong before because now it is all working. I could not even just add -0 before. I dont know what was going on.

Glad to be of help!:thumbsup: