PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Earthquake

robertoortiz
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Haiti one of the poorest nations in the hemisphre was hit by a after a powerful earthquake
There are reports of more than 100,000 people dead so far.

Officials fear more than 100K dead in quake:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

Lets see if we can help.

Please donate to:
RedCross
1-800-HELP-NOW
http://www.redcross.org/
Unicef
http://www.unicef.org/

bugzilla
01-14-2010, 07:07 AM
You can donate at whitehouse.gov or redcross.org. I went to the Red Cross. There is also a push there to donate blood, but I doubt any of that is going directly to Haiti.

akademus
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Is there a Paypal donation site somewhere? I have some spare money there for web shopping I'd like to donate.

My home city suffered same kind of destruction in 1969. and without help from the outside it would never recover.

Nicolas Jordan
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
We pay taxes so our governments can go and help other countries in need as they see fit, that way I don't have to worry about donating or thinking about negative things like earthquakes killing people. :D No need for me to pay more taxes by donating more money. :grumpy: :)

I always find it interesting that when a natural disaster happens and people die even countries that hate each other are suddenly all to happy to help each other out and then in a few years they will be back to blowing each other up again. Just a general observation that may not be true in the case of Haiti.

akademus
01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
We pay taxes so our governments can go and help other countries in need as they see fit, that way I don't have to worry about donating or thinking about negative things like earthquakes killing people. :D No need for me to pay more taxes by donating more money. :grumpy: :)

Isn't donation money tax deductible!?

Nicolas Jordan
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Isn't donation money tax deductible!?

Yes it is. I guess what i said could be misinterpreted or taken different ways.

Riff_Masteroff
01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Obama is sending a hospital ship to Haiti. Its capable of handling 1000 patients at a time and is staffed with military doctors. Due to arrive in Haiti next Friday. Also the US Military air traffic controllers have taken control of the Haitian capitol airport (huge amounts of plane traffic flowing in).

Can see it now: American whining Republicans total unity in opposing this. Compare disaster response: Haiti vs New Orleans ("good job Brownie").

General Electric's National Broadcasting Company switched modes from news blackout of earthquake to full bore coverage of the situation. The previous 'big' news story was big boy Jay Leno talk show host lost his spot due to poor ratings.

And briefly I saw a news story of how the american credit card companies stand to make huge windfall profits from Haitian relief donations charged to plastic. I will have to watch carefully to see if this story is true and how it pans out.

Nicolas Jordan
01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
And briefly I saw a news story of how the american credit card companies stand to make huge windfall profits from Haitian relief donations charged to plastic. I will have to watch carefully to see if this story is true and how it pans out.

Ya that sounds about right to me. :)

IMI
01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Can see it now: American whining Republicans total unity in opposing this.

Why would you say that? It seems that every time some place in the world has a major natural disaster, the US is the first to send help, food, doctors and money, regardless of who the president is or what party has the most control. And in a big way too, not just some token gesture like some other countries. And I don't remember ever seeing any "total unity" in opposing humanitarian aid, from either party. Also, private American citizens probably donate more money than citizens of any other country, democrats, independents and...wait for it... republicans too.

What Obama has done, any of our recent presidents would have done.

Titus
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
My friend's wife just talked with her family today, his father estimation is 60% of the city is gone. BTW, she was interviewed here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/15/2793312.htm