PDA

View Full Version : Color and B&W versions of the same render

Speedmonk42
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I am working on a series of technical diagrams for sports.

I need to have the color renders for both print and web. But the tricky part is the black and white.

Instead of just desaturating it I would like to remove the green field and make the lines black. That way people can print them easily without eating a pound of toner.

I was looking at the PSD export, is it possible to export the surfaces as different layers? I was trying to make this happen in the PSD exporter but couldn't make it click. I could then write a macro to change a directory full of PSD files.

There will be hundreds of diagrams, and possibly several hundred objects. So changing the surfaces manually would be very cumbersome.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JM

3DGFXStudios
01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
You can use the object id and the material id buffer for that. With these buffers you can easily mask out the surfaces that you need. Or you can use some nodal extra buffers to make your own.

Speedmonk42
01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
You can use the object id and the material id buffer for that. With these buffers you can easily mask out the surfaces that you need. Or you can use some nodal extra buffers to make your own.

Ok, I will play with it some more.

Thanks,
JM

Speedmonk42
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I tried turning on all the options, just to see what would come out. Lots of layers.

But is there any way to save out the surfaces as seperate layers or even as seperate files?

toby
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Not without a plugin that someone would have to write. This sounds like something that needs to be done in post, in a compositing app.

Speedmonk42
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Not without a plugin that someone would have to write. This sounds like something that needs to be done in post, in a compositing app.

Thanks! I will look into other ways of doing this.

Is there any way manage mass changes of surfaces?

Switch team colors, things like that? They are all different poses saved out as objects, so the surfaces are all tied to each object.

Could a L-script be written that went through and changed a bunch of surfaces and then back again?

Thanks
JM

toby
01-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks! I will look into other ways of doing this.

Is there any way manage mass changes of surfaces?

Switch team colors, things like that? They are all different poses saved out as objects, so the surfaces are all tied to each object.

Could a L-script be written that went through and changed a bunch of surfaces and then back again?

Thanks
JM
I don't know, with LW you have to learn what things inside the program you can access and what you can't, something that you learn by being an lscripter. But I've never seen a script that changes surfaces. Usually you'd make object copies with the different surfaces or texture maps on them, and switch those back and forth.

You could have different image folders, each with a different team color, with image maps that have the same names, so when you swap the folders the color will change accordingly.

biliousfrog
01-14-2010, 02:54 AM
If you have Photoshop CS3 or higher try playing with the B&W adjustment, you can adjust the conversion to act as if coloured filters have been used there-by changing the look of the B&W image.

Speedmonk42
01-14-2010, 08:06 AM
I will try out the image folder trick. That sounds like it would work great.

The B&W ps filter is amazing. I really like that tool. But for this I want to make the lines black, and the field white.

Thanks for the help guys.
JM

Sensei
01-14-2010, 08:12 AM
is it possible to export the surfaces as different layers?

Sounds like you need MatteBySurface, plug-in that we have made in 2003 for Flay.com owner.
Screen-shots https://secure.reg.net/ProductData/ScreenShots.asp?ProductID=12394
It is currently part of TrueArt's Modeling Pack as legacy plug-in http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

Speedmonk42
01-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you need MatteBySurface, plug-in that we have made in 2003 for Flay.com owner.
Screen-shots https://secure.reg.net/ProductData/ScreenShots.asp?ProductID=12394
It is currently part of TrueArt's Modeling Pack as legacy plug-in http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

Fantastic Sensei!

I will look into those, lots of neat stuff there.

Thanks,
JM