PDA

View Full Version : January 2010 3D Newsletter discussion

BeeVee
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

Discuss the January 2010 newsletter (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php) here.

News this month includes an interview with Chris Jones, the artist who spent 11 years creating The Passenger, a gold release for Kray, LWCAD 3.5 and converting Spore creatures into LightWave models.

B

hrgiger
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Great Newsletter BeeVee. Especially love the Viktor/LWCAD interview. Very exciting info about what's coming for CORE and LWCAD. If anyone can make tools like that Houdini Road generator, Viktor can.

calilifestyle
01-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Yup i just upgraded lwcad before his deadline. i have to say it sweet

Kuzey
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
*Cough* Core *Cough*

Mmmm....no mention of Core. I would have expected more stuff since the December Newsletter. It's like Core has vanished from the face of the world..hehe.

Or, is Newtek planing something like a main event...in the next week or two, with lots of videos and groovy details?

Kuzey

calilifestyle
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
lol very true Viktor did mention that version 4 will be core only... might. that's a big boo for me.

Kuzey
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Talking about LWCAD and NURBS, I presume Core already has them...nurbs that is??

Kuzey

Cageman
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice newsletter!

Funny breakdowns from The Passenger. :D

Cool to hear KRay is going to be developed for CORE. I already knew that LWCad was in the works for CORE, but I'm somewhat surprised that v4.0 may be a CORE only release. However, given the architecture of CORE and what Viktor plans regarding procedural modeling, I really can't argue against it.

Good things ahead, it seems!

:thumbsup:

jaf
01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I keep getting a "damaged file" Adobe Reader error message when trying to download the Spore tutorial. Anyone else?

ken_g9
01-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Good to see they have plans to have Kray on Core. So LWCAD and Kray for Core....nice! :thumbsup:

hrgiger
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Talking about LWCAD and NURBS, I presume Core already has them...nurbs that is??

Kuzey

Well, you probably read the feature list yes? If it wasn't in there (and if you haven't read it I'll save you the suspense, they're not), then chances are they won't be.

However, Newtek is looking for another modeling engineer and experience with NURBS is listed so it would seem like they are at least looking at putting them in CORE. Matters not to me, I'll have them with LWCAD it seems.

COBRASoft
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
CORE 1 Bundled with KRAY and LWCAD anyone? :D

Nice newsletter, digged the part with Viktor. The man really has talent!

erikals
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
been waiting for this for years...
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/profiles/imagesimage/newsletter/01_2010/lwcad/rounder_nurbs.jpg

Grrreat News!! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

...and procedural modeling?! Fantastic!! :hey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOLhnwllpgs

-EsHrA-
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
uhoh... no core news..
i expected lots of coverage since it will be out this month.

nice to see though Viktor and Grzegorz got some loving.

mlon

OlaHaldor
01-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Yeah I was looking forward for some news on Core as well. Disappointed there's nothing about it.

Did anyone check the HTML though? Did they launch a new round of hidden clues?...

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Well, you probably read the feature list yes? If it wasn't in there (and if you haven't read it I'll save you the suspense, they're not), then chances are they won't be.

However, Newtek is looking for another modeling engineer and experience with NURBS is listed so it would seem like they are at least looking at putting them in CORE. Matters not to me, I'll have them with LWCAD it seems.

I have and just checked again....seems like there is from my understanding.

Under:

Appendix 1: LightWave 3D with CORE:

Create
Curve
Circle
Sphere
Box
Cylinder
Draw Polygon
Sketch
Text
Polygon Box
Polygon Cylinder
Polygon Sphere
Polygon Torus

What's the difference between a "Sphere" and a "Polygon Sphere" if not nurbs.....then what is it???

Kuzey

hrgiger
01-12-2010, 04:51 AM
What's the difference between a "Sphere" and a "Polygon Sphere" if not nurbs.....then what is it???

Kuzey

Trust me, it's not NURBS.

hrgiger
01-12-2010, 04:52 AM
uhoh... no core news..
i expected lots of coverage since it will be out this month.

CORE won't be out this month. Or next. Current estimate subject to change is March 31st.

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Trust me, it's not NURBS.

Haha....I do, but you know me....I need more information :hey:

Is it like surfaces in Maya (I'm not sure if they are nurbs or something different) ?

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 05:02 AM
CORE won't be out this month. Or next. Current estimate subject to change is March 31st.

At any rate, there should be a steady flow of Core information starting to come out....up to the release date and beyond. You know, building up hype and what not. It's like Newtek have gone back to square one.

Kuzey

OlaHaldor
01-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I can't believe how fast the last year has gone really. I remember this time last year, I was drooling over puzzles and "omfg wtf are they doing to us?", twitching and being like a squirrel on speed. :D

Kind of wish they do it all over again, but this time, it's for real.

Matt
01-12-2010, 06:34 AM
I have and just checked again....seems like there is from my understanding.

Under:

Kuzey

One made with subpatches turn on, the other not?

Kinda like XSI by the sounds of it.

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 06:41 AM
That occurred to me as well...so the old LW way of toggling between subpatch and polygon modes by pressing the tab key could be out. Sounds like you have to convert an object from one state to the other?

Kuzey

Matt
01-12-2010, 06:47 AM
That occurred to me as well...so the old LW way of toggling between subpatch and polygon modes by pressing the tab key could be out. Sounds like you have to convert an object from one state to the other?

Kuzey

I don't think it's a huge deal to reveal that the Tab key functionality is there in CORE.

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Oooh...nice, I was half expecting to go through several (extra) steps to turn subpatch mode on and off.

Still, it's a bit confusing to have two sets of primitives when the only difference is if subpatch is on or off. Unless it's used as a filler for the pdf document...make it look like there is more stuff in the Core etc.

But I'm still leaning towards a Maya like surfaces/splines(whatever it's called) feature.

Kuzey

Matt
01-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Still, it's a bit confusing to have two sets of primitives when the only difference is if subpatch is on or off.

Don't quote me on that, it was a guess, I'd have to check.

Kuzey
01-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Don't worry Matt, you're safe :hey:

How is that LWHC linear workflow video going...make sure you do a quick tour of the Core while you're at it...hehe :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Matt
01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Don't worry Matt, you're safe :hey:

How is that LWHC linear workflow video going

It isn't at the moment, I'm waiting for some changes to viewport correction (assuming they are being made) and some UI bugs to be sorted out.

Kuzey
01-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the update Matt, let's hope you get those fixes soon.

What about the paint deform tool, is that complete or is it still in need of fixes/updates....could make a great Core video :)

Has Chuck and Jay returned to work yet, I'll like to know what those primitive objects are :)

Kuzey

Nemoid
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
One kind of primitive could be parametric, and the other one , simply polygonal as in old Lw workflow?
Anyhoo, i do hope that even if CORE wont have NURBS since the start, they will at least work similar to native ones. Actually, some NURBS and related tools are an advantage for some kind of modelling.

Kuzey
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
One kind of primitive could be parametric, and the other one , simply polygonal as in old Lw workflow?
Anyhoo, i do hope that even if CORE wont have NURBS since the start, they will at least work similar to native ones. Actually, some NURBS and related tools are an advantage for some kind of modelling.

I thought everything was parametric now.

I don't know why they haven't got NURBS into Core1, since it seems the whole year was spent on the modelling tool set. I wonder, if they actually tried to develop NURBS themselves and couldn't get it to work???

Anyway, it's all interesting :D

Kuzey

erikals
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
i seriously doubt that.
there's no surprise that NURBS aren't Priority 1.

the underlying structure has been the focus, and nothing is better than that imo.

Kuzey
01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
That makes sense, but it would have made more sense if Core1 took an extra year to develop. First year could have been spent getting the "underlying structure" right, and in the second year, we could have had all the cool tools and maybe even a full app.

Did Newtek experiment with NURBS at all, I'm sure it would have come up early in the beta ?

Kuzey

hrgiger
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
That makes sense, but it would have made more sense if Core1 took an extra year to develop. First year could have been spent getting the "underlying structure" right, and in the second year, we could have had all the cool tools and maybe even a full app.

Did Newtek experiment with NURBS at all, I'm sure it would have come up early in the beta ?

Kuzey

I think this first year was definitely about the underlying structure. The fact that they pushed it back 3 months didn't come as a surprise to any of us in HC. Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised if they pushed it back to Siggraph which would be fine with me. I would like to think that the first release of CORE will be a solid one.
Newtek is looking for a modeling engineer and experience with NURBS is listed so I'm sure they've looking at them for CORE eventually. I would agree with Erikals that they probably don't see them as a priority right now with the huge amount of work they have on their plate just on what remains to be done for the first release of CORE.
Either way, I'm sure we'll see NURBS working in CORE because of LWCAD before Newtek gets around to it.

Kuzey
01-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Yes, what ever happens...it has to be a solid release.

They should have found an experienced NURBS engineer before the Core1 beta started, but that's too late now. It would have been one more thing to brag about....I guess, that would go to Viktor...first one to get NURBS into Core :D

Perhaps...Newtek should hire Viktor :hey:

Kuzey

hrgiger
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Perhaps...Newtek should hire Viktor :hey:

Kuzey

I think a dozen of us have sent Viktor a link to the careers page on Newtek hoping he would try for the position.

IMI
01-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Cool newsletter, as always. Proves that LW is still very much alive and viable, and strong in the right hands. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I have to wonder what they're thinking to barely mention Core at all in a newsletter released at a time when Core should have already been released. Not everyone follows the forums, not everyone is in HC. There could be many people "out there" in CG Land who have forgotten all about Core or have written it off, having no idea what the delay might be. Might think reading about Core and all its pending wonders were just part of some unusual daydream. Worse, might think, "Looks like Newtek blew it again."

I mean, to make no real mention about Core's progress at all, not even something like, "Meanwhile Core development is proceeding well, and there have been decisions made in the HardCore program to extend that development, yada yada yada..."
...just seems odd and almost irresponsible, or negligent at best.

hrgiger
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I mean, to make no real mention about Core's progress at all, not even something like, "Meanwhile Core development is proceeding well, and there have been decisions made in the HardCore program to extend that development, yada yada yada..."
...just seems odd and almost irresponsible, or negligent at best.

Or it could be (and I'm just guessing here) that after the lashing they took over the reveal and the few underwhelming videos up on the CORE webpage that they wish to keep CORE low profile until they feel like they really have something to show people. Maybe another lesson learned the hard way by Newtek?

IMI
01-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't argue that that could be their reasoning, but I don't think that's the best approach.
Not that that matters for anything, being that I don't work for them or own stock. ;)
However, I believe the best thing to do after a failure or an embarrassment, or even a weak attempt is to try to one-up it, come back with something better and stronger, not hide and hope everybody forgets. People remember you by your latest success or failure.
My opinion and all that. :)

It's true that the LW newsletters make *people* using LW look good, but I don't see any way Lightwave itself can be made to look good anymore, with the advent of Core. The LW featured in the newsletter is all but dead. Its days are numbered, and people know it. The best thing they could do for Lightwave *the product* is to begin extolling the virtues of Core, which is the next generation of Lightwave. Doesn't matter if they literally show anything or not, but I would want to begin showing the public I have confidence in it, believe in it, and that it is very much alive and well. And I would do that in a very non-timid and assertive fashion.
Hiding it out of fear of further lashing or anything else just looks weak.

Just my opinion and all that. :)

EDIT:
You're in HC, HR.
I bet you could think of ten great things to say about Core just off the top of your head right now. I bet you could expand that by projecting into the future as well, and give your ideas on a workflow, yada yada, yada. And you HC people don't know the complete roadmap, don't know the timeline like NT likely does, so they could say even more.
And yet they don't. It's getting kind of baffling.

hrgiger
01-17-2010, 05:25 AM
EDIT:
You're in HC, HR.
I bet you could think of ten great things to say about Core just off the top of your head right now. I bet you could expand that by projecting into the future as well, and give your ideas on a workflow, yada yada, yada. And you HC people don't know the complete roadmap, don't know the timeline like NT likely does, so they could say even more.
And yet they don't. It's getting kind of baffling.

You're right, I could do just that. But some of the great things I would say are things that have A) yet to be added or B) there but undergoing revision. Which is why I suggested Newtek will probably show more when they are ready to give a better presentation then what they have shown previously. For the most part, you know as much as I do as to what's slated to be in the first version of CORE. The difference is, as an HC member, I get to experiment with CORE and give an opinion when I love somehting and when I hate something. Additionally, since some areas of CORE will take some time to fully develop, we've been given some indication of where certain features are headed post 1.0 release. The cheaper upgrade price doesn't hurt either.

As far as Newtek not showing much new on CORE right now, I think it's probably the best option. There are some things they could show right now that would impress some people and show CORE in a good light but there are still too many things going through revision and any marketing push right now would run out of steam pretty quick I think(which would put us right back to now). It would be better for them to start showing things that will lead up to the release of CORE. It may seem weak to not show anything right now, but I think it would be far worse to put more vids out that underwhelm people(like a video on the shortcut editor for example). No, Newtek has to do better on the next round of public appearances. People have waited this long, another few months probably won't make much difference.

IMI
01-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I see what you're saying.
But I didn't say "show". In fact, I specifically said "Doesn't matter if they literally show anything or not, but I would want to begin showing the public I have confidence in it, believe in it, and that it is very much alive and well."

Showing their confidence through words, through a direction. A roadmap.
Yes, people will say that NT is roadmap shy, and allow that to be an acceptable excuse. I submit that it is my opinion that that is not an acceptable excuse, it is a copout. Fear of exposure isn't a desirable trait to have when you're hoping to market something.
And I will maintain that assertiveness and aggressiveness and openness are necessary things in marketing.

Now, much of the past year, IMO, it was more acceptable for them to stay quiet about Core. But that has changed now. Core was supposed to have been released by this point, but for various reasons has not been, and NT has said virtually nothing about it. It's because of that, and almost *entirely* because of that, that IMO they should at least be talking about it, talking about its direction, and showing the public it's still alive and well. "Show" some confidence, not "show" some videos.

On the other hand, look at what Pixologic did this past year. They never stopped talking about ZBrush 4, and when it was obvious that ZB 4 wouldn't make the deadline, or after they decided to add more features, or whatever the problem was, they came up with the idea of ZB 3.5 and put it out there, along with a very well planned series of videos.
Personally, I didn't like that strategy (and I think 3.5 was crap until R3), but the point is, it kept people interested, and for a lot of people it enhanced their faith in Pixo, the company.

Not saying NT should do that, but again, considering Core's delay, I think it's wrong to not at least mention it.
And it's made even worse when compared to that brilliant Core thing they had going on early last year. The entier CG industry was talking about Core, and nobody even knew what Core was yet. That was a Newtek with confidence, that was a Newtek in control.
And then they just kind of drifted off, gone on a whisper of a dream, like they were never really there to begin with. ;)

hrgiger
01-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Well, dont' think I don't agree with you for most part. I'm just speculating as to what Newtek may be thinking. I would love to see them put out a bit more talk about CORE even without videos. Look at the tech FAQ's http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/techfaq.php. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see them push more about CORE. If they can make this application with that model in mind, but keep a Lightwave feel to it, that right there is to me anyway, about as perfect as an application as you can want. Mike_RB recently said in the HC forums, that to him, CORE is like a reimagining of Houdini with LW handlebars(hope you don't mind me quoting you Mike). Now whether CORE will be as powerful as Houdini or have the same ease of use of LW, only time will tell. But that's the direction I'm happy to see it go.

EDIT: I should point out that Mike wasn't referring to CORE in its current state.

IMI
01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Well, the Core tech sheet is impressive. For that matter, all of what I've heard about Core that I know to be true (and not mere speculation) has been impressive. But that's just a tech sheet and not really marketing.
FWIW, people like Mike RB and Intuition and Larry Schultz and whomever I'm leaving out, who are in HC have a good idea about Core. And I would assume their respective studios do as well. So it's not like Core is completely unknown or invisible to the major studios.

But with such a low price tag on it, I'm assuming they're hoping to market it to small time studios, freelancers, and hobbyists as well. We are not in the know, if we're not in HC. So, to that market, Core is slowly fading away due to a lack of exposure, and I don't think that's a good idea.
Especially at a time when you have Blender, which is becoming *extremely* attractive to people. Can't beat the price tag at least. I'd venture to say that if it had a more intuitive and "normal" interface, it would be a serious threat to all the competition. But that's coming too.
So NT should be considering doing their best to make Core more attractive to those most likely to be swayed by it, by at least talking about it more, putting the idea into people's heads from an early stage that it's something they can't live without once it hits the stage, and *keeping* that idea alive with continuous hype.
My opinion again, that is. :)

Kinda OT, but look at the marketing they do for games. Trailers and all kinds of hype long before anything is really finished. And the gamers drool for months and hit the BUY button the moment they can.

At any rate, this is a thread to discuss the newsletter and I think I've said pretty much all I felt like saying about Core's lack of marketing. I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just putting it out there as a representative of what I see to be the Little Guy's opinion. ;)

Kuzey
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I just thought of something...does Core have proper edge tools like the big boys or even Blender ??

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Bumpity Bump...I'm not liking the silence on edges....anybody??

Kuzey

Cageman
01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Since those who participate in the HC-forums are asked to not speak about CORE outside CORE-forums, you can bump this as much as you like, you will still not get an answer.

:)

hrgiger
01-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I just thought of something...does Core have proper edge tools like the big boys or even Blender ??

Kuzey

Like what kind of edge tools did you have in mind from Blender?

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks hrgiger,

Well...I was hoping they were more developed/advanced and not the same ones that were stuck onto LW 8+.

Stuff like delete edges..which you could never do in LW, or remove an edge loop...like bandglue, but without having to switch from edges to polygon mode and back. Select four open edges in any order and press a key and create a polygon, like you can do with points...but without being forced to select each point in order.

Also, those interactive add edge loops are super cool and in just about every other app....I so love those.

Basically, a proper tool set....not something stuck on as an after thought :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Since those who participate in the HC-forums are asked to not speak about CORE outside CORE-forums, you can bump this as much as you like, you will still not get an answer.

:)

I might not get an answer, but Newtek gets bad press by not answering or even talking about it :)

Even though Core1 is released (when it's released), Newtek asks it's HC members not to talk about it at all....until the marking department has something to post (they think they might have something ready in a year or two). Now that would be the icing on the cake :)

Kuzey

hrgiger
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks hrgiger,

Well...I was hoping they were more developed/advanced and not the same ones that were stuck onto LW 8+.

Stuff like delete edges..which you could never do in LW, or remove an edge loop...like bandglue, but without having to switch from edges to polygon mode and back. Select four open edges in any order and press a key and create a polygon, like you can do with points...but without being forced to select each point in order.

Also, those interactive add edge loops are super cool and in just about every other app....I so love those.

Basically, a proper tool set....not something stuck on as an after thought :D

Kuzey

Hmm, not sure what I can say here. But none of this is an after thought with CORE. The design in CORE allows for a lot of flexibility that we had very little of with legacy.

OnlineRender
01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
was it me or did December just kinda get skipped by , I know we got the Core PDF and I know it was the festive period , and I know Beevee is only human , but there was some real nice stuff that just ,well kinda got skipped (",) ............

sorry not biatchin just like reading the newsletter .

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
So.....I would take that as a probable yes to an updated and complete edge tool set. Jay or Chuck could confirm it...it's not like they would be revealing everything.

I was just wondering since NURBS didn't make it in...what else was missing.

Thanks again.

Kuzey

Psssst....Jay, Chuck....I hope the next Newsletter has some great Core information for the public :)

Kuzey
01-23-2010, 02:30 PM
was it me or did December just kinda get skipped by , I know we got the Core PDF and I know it was the festive period , and I know Beevee is only human , but there was some real nice stuff that just ,well kinda got skipped (",) ............

sorry not biatchin just like reading the newsletter .

It's like a bad on again, off again romance novel...will they mention Core in the next installment or not :)

More information should have been coming after they released the Core pdf...otherwise, why post that in the first place. Here's some details but we still can't talk about it :hey:

Kuzey

-EsHrA-
01-24-2010, 04:01 AM
im still waiting for ma vidz! ... .. .

mlon

erikals
01-24-2010, 04:13 AM

mlon

no soup for you! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/eusa_naughty.gif

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 06:19 AM

mlon

Talking about videos, are they coming anytime soon. I mentioned them last month and Jay said it was Christmas....I presumed they'll be posting them after they returned to work??

Kuzey

-EsHrA-
01-25-2010, 06:34 AM
i guess no soup for you too?!.. :)

no vids either...

ah..the empty promises..

mlon

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Actually...soup was the reveal show.

We need the main course now...fish/meat/chicken....what ever you prefer, and double/triple helpings to boot :D

Kuzey

IMI
01-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Actually...soup was the reveal show.

We need the main course now...fish/meat/chicken....what ever you prefer, and double/triple helpings to boot :D

Kuzey

The new Core diet plan:
1/2 the calories, no in-between meal snacks, and twice the cravings. :D

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 07:04 AM
The new Core diet plan:
1/2 the calories, no in-between meal snacks, and twice the cravings. :D

haha...all we need now is the before and after images. And they have to be noticeably photoshoped as well...just to add that realism :D

Kuzey

erikals
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
an apple CORE is all u get.

IMI
01-25-2010, 08:14 AM
an apple CORE is all u get.

That's not true at all. You get a T-shirt too, which is no insignificant thing. ;)

erikals
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
ah, that is just a rumor.
a LW string is more like it.

IMI
01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
ah, that is just a rumor.
a LW string is more like it.

Well if you think about it, just about everything about Core is rumor.
And with Newtek barely mentioning it, I wonder sometimes if we haven't all just imagined the whole thing. ;)

Matt
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Bumpity Bump...I'm not liking the silence on edges....anybody??

I'll bite. It has _proper_ edges yes, not like 9.6 with it's "fake point edges".

You'd need to be more specific about what edge tools you mean. It has the obvious ones thus far.

That's all you're getting!

:D

Kuzey
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I'll bite. It has _proper_ edges yes, not like 9.6 with it's "fake point edges".

You'd need to be more specific about what edge tools you mean. It has the obvious ones thus far.

That's all you're getting!

:D

Haha...Thanks Matt...that sounds very promising indeed :thumbsup:

Basically, anything that can be done in the other apps is good with me.

Anyway...I was watching the glen_minotaur tutorials (http://nevercenter.com/silo/videos/tutorials/): and Glen selected one edge, then split it...making an edge loop all around the connected polygons. Kinda like using bandsaw, but without the need to select two polygons...super cool.

Real time/interactive edge loop creation. You press the create/insert edge loop button and without dropping the tool...you are able to move the loop in the viewport. Again, think along the lines of bandsaw, but you don't have a panel popping up and that requires you to guess where the cuts should go etc.

Same thing with the deleting an edge loop. You select a single edge and click dissolve and the entire loop disappears. Like bandglue, but not having to select two polygons to make it work.

Kuzey