PDA

View Full Version : Read Depth Data from .iff in Layout

BlueApple
01-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't have the files in front of me, but I am getting an .iff image sequence with color and depth data. AfterEffects can read the color but not the depth (I don't think at least).

I know that Layout can save images as an .iff file, but can .iff images be mapped to geometry and rendered, displaying the z-depth data and not the color?

Lightwolf
01-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I know that Layout can save images as an .iff file, but can .iff images be mapped to geometry and rendered, displaying the z-depth data and not the color?
If they contain a depth channel then I assume they are Maya IFFs, which LW can't read.

Cheers,
Mike

BlueApple
01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Appreciate the response, Mike. I thought I'd heard that the .iff was an Amiga format so I had an irrational hope that LightWave could read the depth data. Off to find an alternate route, then.

Thanks,
-Adam

Lightwolf
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Appreciate the response, Mike. I thought I'd heard that the .iff was an Amiga format so I had an irrational hope that LightWave could read the depth data. Off to find an alternate route, then.

Well, IFF was designed by Electronic Arts with Commodore for the Amiga, but IFF itself doesn't define an image format, but more of a data structure (like XML does). Lightwave objects (.LWOs) are IFF files as well.
Afaik Alias adopted the structure but not the way the Amiga used to save images (which would be IFF-ILBM in most cases - and that's what LW reads).
Incidentally, FLX files as well as (to a lesser extent) AVIs and QTs are based on IFF as well.

Cheers,
Mike

erikals
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
what about HAM? http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif
kidding :D
such a long time ago...
(yep, still have my ol' Amiga 500) ;)

erikals
01-11-2010, 10:25 PM
try opening the file and saving it using this PS .iff plugin, could work, maybe...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102189&highlight=amiga+iff