PDA

View Full Version : Morph Mixer hanging layout

ptstudio
01-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey all,

I have a problem with MotionMixer hanging layout. I have a smallish room scene with some drapes that have a number of morphs attached. I can usually get morph mixer open with the morphs showing in the name.subname format, but if I adjust a morph, layout hangs and has to be forced to quit.

I've got several versions of Lightwave from 7.5 to 9.6 with both Universal Binary and PowerMac versions loaded on a G5 Dual core 2.3 GHz machine...4 gigs of Ram. Both 9.6 (UB and PM)versions of lightwave are experiencing this problem. However, when I migrate the whole show over to an older G4 Dual and load the scene, voila, no problem.

I am running Tiger 10.4.11 on the G5 which seems to be a problem because it only loads a OpenGl version 1.5 on a 250 Meg GeForce 6600 graphics card. Funnily, that same configuration, but with a different graphics card, on the older G4 doesn't experience the hang.

Anybody got any ideas?

Pat

ptstudio
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Sorry,

that first line should read, "I have a problem with MorphMixer hanging Layout."

Pat

Steph
01-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Hello Pat

I have the same bug with Morph mixer and other displacement plugs ( FiberFx too) that freeze the layout. This problem seems to date ( I think I have it in 9.5).

I have submitted the bug (Fogbuz n24825) and perhaps it is a good thing that you do it too. I spend so much time sending bug reports that I'm really dispointed when bugs still there the next version.

I run Lightwave on a quad core MacPro with 10.5.8.

I really hope the problem will be solve with 9.6.1.We have to be patient!

Steph

ptstudio
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks Steph,

when I googled the issue, I got some "Morph Mixer" returns from Newtek Europe, that seemed older and, with your report, at least I know I'm not alone. Most of the bug reports seem hidden these days so it's impossible to know whether your problem is just your problem alone, or an issue where people have found workarounds.

I like Lightwave and I've been through some of the history on it, it hasn't always been an easy ride, but when it works it becomes an almost invisible part of your production pipe. No one who's been around for a while prays for much more than a solid production program. Any small studio seems to have a list of "production" software, and "broken" software depending on where they are in their upgrade cycle. Few things hurt more than upgrading to "broken" status.

I don't think this is 100% Newtek's issue as I mentioned that the entire package, program and file, when migrated to an older Mac G4 dual, works nicely (Thank goodness I still have the older platform to finish the work on) though it'd be nice if I could use the speed of the new computer set-up. I can see the problem Newtek, and most of the other software makers have these days in programming for a moving target.

I suspect the issue for many bugs lies somewhere in the variety of possible machine, OS, video card and software mixes there are out there. Programming for all of them must be a nightmare. However, I guess that is the reality. I do know, having a slow machine that works is a million times better than a fast machine that breaks and I relearn that lesson almost every time I upgrade.

I note you are using 10.5.8 so any OpenGl (2.0 as opposed to 1.5) issue should be resolved on your machine. I don't know why that would affect morphs but it was the only issue I could easily identify that might be a problem on my machine. I have other software that won't display background images because of a missmatch in openGL.

Thanks Steph.

Pat

Steph
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Hello pat

I think were not alone having these problems, I have participate in forum thread last years (2009!) and there was several guys experimenting the same problems than you and me : beachball when loading scene or using Morphmixer or FiberFx. I have been in touch with Newtek Europe for these problems but I'm waiting since than a new revision is going out.

The 9.6.1 OB is out in the Open Beta forum but I don't like using OB because is still not as usuable as a final version. But I have just made some test briefly with some scene that cause problems in 9.6 and it seem that they perform well. So, not sure, it need more investigations, but it seem Newtek is on the good way.

I understand that programming is a difficult and challenging task, but sometime, I'm tired with recurent problems not solved, or new technologie unusable (Fiber Fx on the Mac is a real nightmare, slowly and crashy).

I'm a long time Lighwave user and I don't want to migrate to another soft. But sometimes I'm very angry against Newtek and bugs. But, when it work, Lighwave is so powerful and fast ! I think that dealing with an old technologie software is not easy for developpers and hope that Core will solve all problems.

Sorry for my poor english, it is sometimes frustrating not to be able to express really that I think because of a lack of knowledge in english.

Steph

ptstudio
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
You're doing just fine Steph, and thanks a lot.

I'm Canadian, and half of us our French speaking! :-)
I hear what you're saying. Lightwave is a pretty versatile program and I've been with it a long time too. I'm from the school that says learn how to get the image you want from the software you've got . . rather than buying other software that claims to have a "button" that makes your picture or video. 'course, the software has to work first.

I'll look forward to finding out why MorphMixer is hanging Layout, for now I guess I migrate back to an older platform until it is sorted.

The good news is that I've been around long enough to know it will get sorted. Like you, I wish I didn't run into these snags everytime I upgrade. To be fair to Newtek, they aren't the only software that isn't 100% on my platform. That's why I come her looking to see if anyone has had similar, and what the workaround was.

Thanks again Steph,

Pat