PDA

View Full Version : LW Crashes on Loading Object

Lyoncet
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I've started texturing my first model in LW; nothing really fancy, just marking particular surfaces with a simple metallic color that I'll mess with later. The model itself is pretty basic as well, ~31,000 polies, free of any nonplanars, maybe 30 C-C SubDs.

I never had any problems with crashes until I started doing the textures. Then, LW started crashing when I applied a texture to too many faces at a time. (Since one of the things I'm surfacing is rows of beveled objects, I wouldn't have a hard time texturing 100+ faces in one go if I wanted.) So I just started doing 40-50 at a time instead.

That seemed to work fine, but a bit ago the program crashed and now crashes every time I load the object. I have some backups, but they're probably ~2 hours old since I didn't think that I was particularly likely to screw things up while texturing. I know 2 hours isn't much when you've already dumped 4-6 hours a day for a week and a half into a model, but it's something I'd rather not have to go back and redo.

Does anyone have any suggestions on 1) how I can salvage the object and 2) how I can keep this from happening again?

My computer is a Pentium iMac with Snow Leopard, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 with 256 megs VRAM and 149 gigs open on the HD.

Thanks in advance!

aperezg
01-10-2010, 09:45 AM
maybe you must change in, display option panel, the texture resolution to 512 or less; and shading method to multitexture Shaders.
The transparency sorting by object, and geometry acceleration Bufered VBO.

toby
01-10-2010, 09:29 PM
What part of 'applying textures' makes it crash? Assigning surfaces, clicking the T button, loading an image, etc.? What image format are you using? JPG is the least stable type to use in LW.

Does it crash modeler or layout or both?

What version of LW and Snow Leopard are you using?

Lyoncet
01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
One point of clarification first: When I said "textures" I meant "surfaces." I'm still used to Strata terminology.

The crashes tend to happen after selecting surfaces and hitting "q" to bring up the surfacing interface. Selecting fewer surfaces seems to minimize (but not eliminate) the crashes. I've had fewer (maybe one or two) crashes while closing the surfacing interface. Only Modeler crashes. I also made sure to execute ample restarts to make sure the Hub wasn't gasping for resources and making things dicier. I'm running LightWave 9.6 and OS 10.6.

Also, thanks for the tip on jpegs. That's more-or-less my default Photoshop format, so I'll try to stay away from it. Do you have any recommendations for stabler formats?

aperezg, my graphics settings are already at what you recommended (resolution at 256, actually), but I'll try lowering them a bit and seeing what happens. Thanks!

toby
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Never heard of that problem, I'm betting it's a bug rather than anything you're doing wrong or pushing lw too hard.

Have you updated to 10.6.2? It fixes some compatibility issues. And is this the UB Lightwave? The CFM version is not guaranteed to work at all on intel macs.

The Hub is also suspect, it always has been - I stopped using it in 2000, and studios where I've worked never use it. If all else fails try turning it off by (quitting first, then) moving the Hub app to a different folder.

Use PNG 24bit for textures, good compatibility with lw, and lossless compression for good quality but smaller filesize than TGA or PSD. You can also output them easily from photoshop using the 'save for web' feature.

Lyoncet
01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Well after some extensive fiddling, I found that the crashes happen less frequently with 10.6.2 (thanks for the tip) but they still happen from time to time when I try to surface or select too many pollies at the same time. Still, it's quite workable.

I'll experiment with the hub next. Thanks again for all the help!