PDA

View Full Version : Master Equalization

GregGerlach
01-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd really like to see Master EQ controls right underneath Master Volume. Master EQ would equalize both channels at the same time much the same as Master Volume controls both channels. I use EQ a lot and nearly all of the time I adjust EQ that affects both channels in the same way. Currently, I have to drill down several submenus to adjust the left channel and then do the same with the right all the while checking each change to hear what it sounds like. I always end up adjusting one channel first while muting the other until I get it just right then mirror the settings on the other. Takes way too much time.

I like the option of adjusting the EQ on separate channels when needed so those controls could remain the same much like we can control separate L-R volume levels when needed.

donx
01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
There are some very nice VST audio plug-ins available for EQ. Some are even free. Using one of these across the audio timeline would give you much better control over the audio.

GregGerlach
01-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Any in particular that you'd recommend?

donx
01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
There are some free ones here:
http://www.voxengo.com/group/freevst/

or here:
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

or not free:
http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/ess/index.html

GregGerlach
01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Actually SpeedEdit comes with an EQ VST effect. I tried it... the controls effect both channels but it's rather counterintuitive in that you increase the numeric parameter to decrease the volume of the particular EQ band... just the opposite of the native EQ in SpeedEdit. I'll give the VSTs you listed a try; however, it looks like the VST effect affects all audio tracks underneath of it. Say you had a voiceover over a background music track, each requiring its own EQ. How would you use a VST to give each its own EQ?

I still would rather see SE have a master EQ right underneath master volume. Still quicker than a VST and it wouldn't clutter up the timeline with extra tracks.

Quiet1onTheSet
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I still would rather see SE have a master EQ right underneath master volume. Still quicker than a VST and it wouldn't clutter up the timeline with extra tracks.Have you experimented with placing the VST effect directly "on top of" (that is, superimposed over, and in the same track as) the audio clip you desire to effect?

That just might conserve space... Try it and see.
Q1

GregGerlach
01-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Yes... placing the VST effect on top of the audio track does work but it still affects all audio tracks underneath of it. This means I cannot use VST effects because I frequently have to EQ multiple audio tracks.

donx
01-09-2010, 11:47 AM
It would be great if VST could be embedded into the separate clips. I always use Wavelab to work on my audio outside of SE and bring it back into the timeline as a completed stereo mix. Wavelab allows for clip based effects as well as effects on the master output.

GregGerlach
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
OK... there is a master control for EQ. I was looking only in the clip properties panel. In the control tree there's a tab called audio levels which displays an nice GUI with an 8 band EQ that you can use either in the master or separate channel modes. Nice. Also gives you a quick and easy way to pan from left to right with one knob.